1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

whats the best video connection

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by UMAR 3:16, May 6, 2005.

1. UMAR 3:16

UMAR 3:16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    hi everyone got a quick and probably iam guessin dumb question...

i have bought a LCD screen and what to connect the dvd through the best possible connection would that be in this order; (first the best)

Componet
    S-video
    RGB Scrat

:lesson:

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    I would say it would go:

Component
    RGB Scart
    S-Video

But saying the above, some screens are better at handling S-Video than RGB, so it really does depend on the equipment being used.

Mark.

3. The_Swede

The_Swede

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What's the difference between S-video and RGB?

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    S-Video carries a B&W picture (luminance) on one cable and the colour (Chrominance) on a second.
    RGB as found in a scart (or correctly named RGBs) Carries Red, Green & Blue colours on individual cables. Red also carries the luminance signal, and there is a sync signal carried on a fourth cable (composite). There are 2 other versions of RGB. RGsB where the sync is carried on the green cable, but this is mostly found in the USA. And then there is RGBHV where there are separate sync signals on their own cables for horizontal and vertical sync. RGBHV is the best possible analogue signal, but is mainly only found on high end equipment or on a PC in the VGA connection.

Therefore S-Video is a lower bandwidth signal than RGBs (2 cables instead of 3, 4 or 5) with more information mixed together, which can allow more cross talk resulting in a picture that is not as sharp.

HTH,
    Mark.

5. The_Swede

The_Swede

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mark. :)
    Reason why i ask is that my RGB scart on my lcd tv is giving me some trouble.
    See here:http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1643943#post1643943
    I have the original ms advanced rgb scartcable but my lcd is giving me blue,red lines on objects.
    I have also another spare cable (Joytech - Digital Cable Pack ).
    So i tryed using the S-video on the Joytech - Digital Cable Pack to connect my xbox and the problem is almost gone.
    Can't see so much difference between RGB scart and the S-video.
    Will i miss much if i will use the Joytech - Digital Cable Pack S-video instead of the RGB scart? :confused:

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    however as S-video is far more common in Japan and the US (perticularly the US) some manufacturers equipment is much better at processing Y/C and YPbPr than RGBS

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    I agree with HD. Some equipment is much better with S-Video rather than RGB, even though RGB is technically better. If S-Video looks better to you then use it.

Mark.

8. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    RGB on scart is actually RGBcvS where cv is composite video. RGBs suggests sync on blue even although that's not what you said. Each RGB signal also has its own Luminance included.

YPrPb is basically a lossless analogue compressed version of RGB.
    Y/C svideo is the same black and white detailed information as RGB and YPrPb but with less colour information. Y/C is a lossy compressed version of YPrPb. Once you dispose of the colour information by going to s-video y/c it's never coming back.

Just wanted to clear that up a little.

The best one to use would be the one that gives best results on your display with your source....I'd expect it'll be Component myself.

gordon

9. severnsource

severnsource

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Not sure what you are trying to say here. Luminance is a specific signal which represents the brightness of a scene, and is usually derived from the RGB signals. (As far as I can remember it is 0.3xR + 0.59xG + 0.11xB). Saying that each RGB signal has its own luminance signal implies that there are 2 signals going down each wire, a colour signal and a luminance signal, which is not the case.

Sorry, no compression is involved, lossless or not. Y,Pr and PB are luminance and colour difference signals and use three channels of the same bandwidth as the three channels used for RGB. Unless the colour difference channels are bandwidth limited the amount of data transmitted is exactly the same; if they are bandwidth limited there will be losses.

RGB can be converted to YPrPb and vice-versa with no losses, assuming sufficiently accurate matrices and amplification. From a signal quality point of view they are identical.

Again, it is not compressed in any generally understood meaning of the term. The Y signal should be untouched, but the C will be bandwidth limited, to about 1.5 MHz rather than the theoretical 5.5MHz of European SD signals. So colour HF information will be lost.

I quite agree. And if you can get acceptable results with Y/C, at least the connectors are nice dinky little things rather than those nasty, clunky, unreliable SCART jobbies!

Bill

gordon[/QUOTE]

10. The_Swede

The_Swede

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all of you who has replied.
    Usually best picture i think is the rgb scart on xboxes but then i get all carzy colours around objects when i use it on my lcd that has some sort of rgb problem.
    Also i think scart is better because i don't have to change channel on the tv when i start the xbox,dvd,etc (yea i know i'm lazy,lol)
    So i'm woundering if i should use the scart2 which is not a rgb input or use the s-video.

11. UMAR 3:16

UMAR 3:16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    thanks eveyone so if i were to use a componet connection inside of RGB, in most cases can u tell the difference in pic?? :thumbsup: