• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

What's the best value speaker cable for this setup?

straygoat

Established Member
Hi everyone,

I don't know much about speakers or stereos, so bear with me....we've just bought a Denon DM38DAB with Q speakers but they don't come with any cables. So we need to buy some. I've looked on various review sites and audio sites and it is all a bit confusing. I have figured out that we need some above average-decent quality pre-split cables with + and - polarity clearly marked, but that's as far as I've got. Can anyone recommend a good cable for this setup? The speakers are going to be pretty close to the Denon unit, so we don't need loads and loads of metres, just 2m would be fine.

Thanks in advance

JonathanAV

Established Member
You cant go wrong with the Chord range. The "Chord epic" is a great cable.

If you are wanting to start with something a lot cheaper, QED silver anniversary is an all-round fab cable (it won lots of awards) Think it retails for about £4-£5 per meter but you can pick up 2nd hand lengths for buttons!

Do this & then try more expensive cable (if unhappy)
Most decent Hi-Fi dealers etc usually let you try out cable's, its best to do this encase you dont notice any difference in the sound detail......

straygoat

Established Member
Thanks. The Chord cable arrived yesterday and the sound is great. I could have done with a bit more cable though!

Is it better to have one cable for the + and - , split at the end or should I get 4 lots of cable and use a separate one for each + and -?

JonathanAV

Established Member
Hi,

Think I understand your question. (two pairs of cable? Bi-wiring)

I would just use one cable per speaker i.e. the + cable goes to the + on the (red terminal) speaker & the - part of cable goes to the - on the (black termianl) speaker (& the same with the opposite end of cable into the Amp)

Dont be putting two sets of cable per speaker unless its got the option of "bi-amp" (2 pairs of terminals) but it would be better to spend more money on one pair of cables than have two cheaper cables.

Only use two sets of cables if you are using two amps per speaker (bi-amping)

straygoat

Established Member
Sorry, I probably explained that badly!

By having 2 cables per speaker, I meant this:

1 chord cable = red wire, black wire, silver casing

What I have done at the moment = 1 chord cable per speaker, split at the end to allow room for black to reach black connection on speaker, red to reach red connection on speaker.

What I thought about doing = 1 chord cable, split but red cut off, only black feeding into L speaker (black connection obviously). Another chord cable, split but black cut off, only red feeding into L speaker. Same setup with R speaker. Is this what you call bi-wiring?

JonathanAV

Established Member
Hi,

Bi-wiring is two pairs of cables running between each speaker & Amp but it is pointless unless your speakers have four terminals (2 red & 2 black) on each speaker. Even if they do you wouldnt notice the sound any better unless you had two Amps (Bi-Amping)

The set-up you have at present is correct, one cable with red/black going to the red/black terminals in your speaker :thumbsup:

straygoat

Established Member
Thanks. I've since bought a bit of extra Chord cable and some connectors and have it all wired up now. Sounds great.

One last thing - any advice on where to position the DAB aerial? It seems a bit temperamental.

JonathanAV

Established Member
Hi, glad you got the cable sorted :smashin:

DAB isnt my strong point, I do have a DAB on my own processor but dont use it at present.

hopefully someone else can answer

Regards,
Jonathan

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom