Question What's the best TV OS now? Tizen? Android? WebOS?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by SCOTTBALL, Jun 19, 2015.

1. SCOTTBALL

SCOTTBALL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to get a new TV and seems like the newest 2015 TV's are the way to go. I haven't got the chance to try out the new "Smart" OS's yet, so what do you like/dislike about the main ones?

I've heard Tizen has no BBC iPlayer yet, some TV browsers don't support flash, etc

I think my route right now is to choose the OS i like and then choose the TV model

2. hazeyb

hazeyb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Android TV in the Sonys also do not support iPlayer yet, no support for HDD recording, no browser, and no Amazon Prime in 4k. All these features are coming in Summer 2015. (Sony Support for details)

The google store is full of games, and other apps of dubious quality.

On the plus side, the layout is simple, and quite fast after the latest update. You can side load other google apps (such as Kodi). The pre-installed apps such as Netflix, and Plex work brilliantly, thought amazon prime not so much (very juddery, though this may just be a shoddy service rather than a shoddy app, I will compare this against my PS4 at some point).

There are also indications that they'll implement Playstation Now support (I believe Samsung are also getting this) . If they can come up with a suitable pricing model then that will be interesting. Present pricing on the beta would put me off. 9.99 a month to play uncharted 3. Shame as earlier in the beta it was free and I was really enjoying it. If I was really interested in the games it would probably be cheaper to buy a 2nd hand PS3 and games.

there is a review of Android TV, here;
    Sony Android Smart TV System 2015 review | TrustedReviews
    though I'm not convinced the reviewer really got into it, it seems a rushed review, as it is possible to have favourite apps (available via the discover button), and personally I'm happy to have inputs separated out from the rest of my apps.

3. SCOTTBALL

SCOTTBALL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wow no iplayer on sony or samsung 4k tvs right now? ouch! I think people like myself looking to buy a TV right now have picked the worst time!

I tried a few of these OS's out briefly in John Lewis, unfortunately the salesman had no idea what he was talking about, but I got to fiddle around with them. The Samsung one looks really good as it still has whatever you're viewing in the background. The android one and LG one seems to take over the whole screen.

All of them are usable and not laggy, I am unsure which of them have browsers and which of them have smart remotes with a cursor. I was also told that none of the browsers support flash but there are youtube apps.

4. kayzee

kayzee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Yeah the Samsung's have All 4 & Netflix... but nothing else yet.

I have a PS4 for iPlayer, Demand 5 & NOW TV so basically sorted apart from ITV Player. I do find the TV actually out performs the PS4 in terms of speed and reliability which is not how I thought it'd be!