1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the best TV for less than £2000?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Bradds, Jun 3, 2004.

1. Bradds

Bradds
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What's The best TV on a budget of £2000? I am about to buy a TV ready to enjoy Euro on with my buddies, but want to get the best for my money. The TV will be hooked up to SKY, PS2, X-BOX and a progressive Scan DVD Player. It will be used equally between these input devices. I would prefer something that can sit on top of my existing TV unit.

I currently have a 32" Tosh which is pretty damn good, but I want a screen around the 40" mark. So not as keen on a 36" CRT...

Hence...
    I am currently looking at buying the LG DLP TV (RE44SZ21RD) which I can get for £1644.

Can anyone back up that TV for purchase or point me in the direction of a better one.

All help posts appreciated. :thumbsup:

2. Bradds

Bradds
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone have any personal opinions of TV's that would fit this situation?
    eg. the table top Sony rear pro...

3. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,161
    Brads, I've seen both the DLP you mention and the Sony (I take it you mean the latest LCD sony?). The DLP looked reasonably good to my eyes, but it would definately be worth checking out some reviews if you can find them.

Discount the Sony imho - it's crap. Can't cope with blacks and a very noisy picture. Oh, and no component input so you can't use a standard progressive scan DVD player.

If your budget is £2000, you could also consider going down the plasma route. After looking at numerous CRTs, RP TVs (I bought a tosh 42wh36 and despite convergence issues, I thought the picture was pretty poor after calibrating it) and plasmas, I opted for the 42" W6 Panny plasma....utterly stunning image from DVD, though you'd need to buy an RGB - Component converter to get the best out of sky.

The package is available from Av-Sales for £2140 (including wall mount or table top stand)...worth considering if you can stretch to it.

4. drcooper

drcooper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have the LG DLP TV and so far ( 1 month) am very pleased with it despite the reviews I read on it not being that great. I also read the long thread on here somewhere about its shortcomings ie rainbows and green dots etc but can not see them even though i have looked really hard for them. Viewing angles side to side are pretty good but not that great not up and down (who watches TV standing up though?), sound is adequate. The only problem i have with it is the size of the two shelves which are are too narrow (depth wise not width wise to acommodate my sony dvd recorder (GX3) but im looking into getting some new glass cut to rectify this. I got it from askdirect.co.uk for £1599 delivered even though it was not actually advertised on their website, give them a ring.

5. RumbleBee

RumbleBee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    For the last 2 months I've been saving for the Toshiba 57WH36, which I'm looking forward to ordering in the coming weeks. I've read various posts on this particular TV and from what I've read (on this very forum) it is an excellent screen that has a better display than most (if not all) low end plasmas.

I was initially going for a 36" Tosh CRT, then a Panasonic 42" plasma, then a 51" Tosh. To be honest you can read this forum for a couple of hours and your mind sways all over the place. You end up with 25 Internet Explorer windows open with reviews and prices

On a final note I can't really suggest the best TV for £2000, but I can advise I also have £2000 to spend on a TV and have read this forum back to front for the last 2 weeks and I've decided to go for the Toshiba 57WH36. I know you mentioned you'd like to keep the same stand. The lack of a stand with a rear pro initially turned me off, but now I'm looking forward to stacking up all my equip on one of these beauty’s which will sit next to the TV
    http://www.millerbros.co.uk/cgi-bin/m?i=k9WL01kmJ761&bg=221&bp=ad5s&v=9
    Link for picture only

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133907&highlight=57wh36
    This was one of my own referring to a big screen and the viewing distance

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121055&highlight=57wh36
    Mini review and discussion

Thanks,
    Andy

6. Bradds

Bradds
    Standard Member

Products Owned: