Whats the best tv captureing program?

nero0410

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As title. Please let me know which is the best tv capture software to use?

Any suggestions greatly appriciated

Thanks

tris

What equipment are you trying to capture from? Sky, Sky+, cable, Freeview?

One of the most elegant solutions is to put a DVB-T (Freeview) card in your PC and record (rather than 'capture') to hard disk.

What equipment are you trying to capture from? Sky, Sky+, cable, Freeview?

One of the most elegant solutions is to put a DVB-T (Freeview) card in your PC and record (rather than 'capture') to hard disk.

It's normal sky and video tape.

I cannot use a dvbt card in my pc unless it comes down the phoneline somehow as I cannot get freeview through my areil on my estate (no one on this estate can)

I have an MSI tv@nywhere capture card in my system at the moment and am using power producer gold

tris

Anyone :lease:

tris

For sky, why not put a DVB-S card in your PC. Not the cheapest solution (you need the DVB-S card, a daughter CI card and a CAM). That's what I use.

For sky, why not put a DVB-S card in your PC. Not the cheapest solution (you need the DVB-S card, a daughter CI card and a CAM). That's what I use.

What is a daughter CI card and a CAM?

How does a DVB-S card work?
Any recommendations?

tris

This thread is a good place to get you started:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319927

A DVB-S card is a PCI card (slots into your PC) that you plug your satellite cable into.

By itself it can receive the digital stream from the satellite, and with appropriate software (MCE or many, many others) allow you to play the signal. Most cards come bundled with some free software.

By itself, however, you can only pick up unencrypted signals (like BBC, ITV, FilmFour). To decode the scrambled channels (Channel 4, E4, etc) you need a CAM (which allows you to decode the signal when you put a Sky card in it) and to connect the CAM to your DVB card you need a CI card.

This thread is a good place to get you started:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319927

A DVB-S card is a PCI card (slots into your PC) that you plug your satellite cable into.

By itself it can receive the digital stream from the satellite, and with appropriate software (MCE or many, many others) allow you to play the signal. Most cards come bundled with some free software.

By itself, however, you can only pick up unencrypted signals (like BBC, ITV, FilmFour). To decode the scrambled channels (Channel 4, E4, etc) you need a CAM (which allows you to decode the signal when you put a Sky card in it) and to connect the CAM to your DVB card you need a CI card.

Is somthing like this what I need to begin with?

WinTV-NOVA-S-Plus

Would I be able to use my iMON remote with the software that comes with the card?

I would still like to be able to record from video/cam corder etc.... now and again.
Would this card have all the sound and video connections that I need (composite jack, left and right audio jacks, possibly s-video, as well as the socket to plug the sky into plus any thing else i may need)?

Please could you let me know what I am looking for with cam and ci card? I'm not sure what they look like.

Thanks again

tris

CI: little card that provides a slot (looks a bit like a PCMCIA) - this plugs into an internal connector on your DVBS card. Check the model you want supports this, eg many Technotrend models do. For example, you can buy the Technotrend 1500 with a CI daughter card and a remote/receiver for £60ish at dvbshop:
http://www.dvbshop.net/index.php/cat/c9_Budget-PCI.html

There's also the Nova you mention, which is just a rebranded TT1500 at a higher price.

If you want to be a bit more future proof, the 3200 does DVB-S2 as well, which providers will shift to gradually over the next few years. It's about £115 with remote/ci, although that's largely cos S2 is so new. Unless you have a specific need, I'd just go with the 1500 for now, then when S2 cards drop to £50 in a year, buy one then and ebay off the old.

You can froogle/ebay around a bit, might find some of the above a bit cheaper elsewhere.

CAM: plugs into the CI slot, and in turn provides a card slot itself, into which you put a Freesat card from Sky. Warning: there are a bazillion types of CAMs, do lots of research.

To actually output the video, you simply connect your TV to your graphics card. How exactly depends on what TV you have, and what connectors it has. Sound goes to your hifi, or possibly to the TV if connections allow.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom