Whats the Best sub money can buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably a nuclear powered hunter killer sub

The usual responses are the Wilson XS and Krell reference. For the more affordable(<$5000), the VEL HGS18 and Aerial SW12 come to mind. The MK 5000,Klipsch rsw15 and paradigm servo15 are good ones too.

TV

I'm sure Tom V's 'Dual SS Package' would also fall into the more affordable <$5000 category :D

Originally posted by Matt F
This, I'd say:

http://www.royaldevice.com/custom3.htm

Matt.

Utterly bonkers!!:eek: My favourite is the crappy rug on the floor covering the sub cavity.:D Was his Nan throwing it out and he couldn't afford a new one 'cos he threw his cash into the building works? Sofa looks pretty tatty too:rolleyes:

The SVS Ultra also slips well into the <$5000 category. ;)

A custom build would be the way to go IMO.

Cheers
Boris

Originally posted by Ian J
Probably a nuclear powered hunter killer sub

Nice one!!! :) :D

I think I would tend to agree with Ramius, but then if money were no object, could you be bothered?.
I know - design it yourself and then get someone else to do the work, while you are out at another champagne dinner!!! :)

/wakes up and realises that a (EDIT - a very big) lottery win isn't very likely :)

I have recently purchase 2 MJA Pro 50's for my setup and have had continued pleasure from them ever since.

I notice that The Pro 50 has now been noted as the all time best buy by What HiFi in the Awards issue of the current magazine.

What is more eciting is the launch of there first reference series sub which is called the REF 1 I think. the price is not large but the features and specs are major big.

Auditioned this model in store today and can only say that I have never seen such a beautifully made piece of kit for this price anywhere. the sound was jaw dropping and the sales guy played a track with some test tones which went down to 10Hz. My trousers were flapping to the frequency despite the downward firing driver.

This new company must be making the competition very worried.

Regards

Joe Abbeywood

So, MJ Acoustics are at it again then. As if a claim of 15Hz from their 50 watt 8" sub wasn't enough, they are now claiming 10Hz for a 120 watt 10" model.

These subs might be producing something down there but the output will have tailed off miles before then - I'd be surprised if the Pro 50 does much below 30Hz and I'd be amazed if the Ref 1 goes flat to 20Hz. By "flat" I mean there is no or little (no more than -3dB) drop in output.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking their products which are good and great value, I just wish they'd be a bit more realistic with their figures i.e. quote +/- 3dB frequency ranges like most other respectable manufacturers do (REL being a notable exception).

Matt.

Originally posted by Joe Abbeywood
I notice that The Pro 50 has now been noted as the all time best buy by What HiFi in the Awards issue of the current magazine.

You must have a different copy to me. It wasn't even the subwoofer of the year which still went to the REL for the umpteenth time running..

PS Joe, I have noticed that all nine of your posts this year have been singing the praises of the M J Acoustics sub. Is there something that you're not telling us ?

The way I read it The MJA Pro 50 gets Best Buy and this seems fair due to its price size performance ratio its not pretending to be a contender. The Rel Q150 gets the best sub woofer, now I dont know where this forum stands but IMO they got it right for the Pro 50 but they are well off the mark with the Q150 there are far superior subs out there that are worthy of the best sub award.

Have HiFi World ever listened to a Velodyne, or even considered what it takes to get motional feedback working correctly, or even considered any of the technical achievments like the digital amps and the drive units that stand up to being driven under resonance in a small box at such high power levels.

IMO all you need to win best sub award is an Audax Speaker a small cube a 150W amp and Oh! yes a REL badge.

I wish people wouldn't lump all RELs together. The ST range are a different kettle of fish and I'd propose the REL Studio as a contender for ultimate Sub.

Originally posted by Matt F
So, MJ Acoustics are at it again then. As if a claim of 15Hz from their 50 watt 8" sub wasn't enough, they are now claiming 10Hz for a 120 watt 10" model.

These subs might be producing something down there but the output will have tailed off miles before then - I'd be surprised if the Pro 50 does much below 30Hz and I'd be amazed if the Ref 1 goes flat to 20Hz. By "flat" I mean there is no or little (no more than -3dB) drop in output.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking their products which are good and great value, I just wish they'd be a bit more realistic with their figures i.e. quote +/- 3dB frequency ranges like most other respectable manufacturers do (REL being a notable exception).
Matt.
100% right. Great post Matt.
You can feed a 10Hz signal to just about anything with an amp and driver and get something out at the other end.
The keyword here is "something"
Its how big and how clean that something is. At the risk of repeating myself. To get more than a distorted whimper at 10Hz, you need a big driver in a big box powered by a big amp. And if this device happens to be servo powered, you will also have the benifit of reduced distortion. Its that simple.

I first heard the MJ 50 with Ian J at the bristol show last year.
I also heard one last week. My opinion has not changed. This is a good mid-woofer, nothing more.

I had not lumped all Rels together i was merely making the point that I dont believe the Q150 should have the best sub award.

The Studio is a fantastic sub the best in the Rel range, so why does the Q150 get best sub award it's not even the best sub that Rel make, let alone the best sub available

Dom,
No disrespect meant to your or your MJ 50.
We have to get real with these figures.
Because your SPL meter is reading a certain output using for exhample a 15hz test tone, that does not mean the subwoofer is in fact producing clean low signals at this level. In fact, I can count on the fingers on one hand how many subs are able to perform at the levels you refer to.

The MJ 50 will be producing a lot of the 2nd harmonic(32hz) 3rd and 4ths. This harmonic distortion will also be there on your SPL meter as yet more output. Also, there is a lot of room gain involved so this would also "boost" your figures as per your SPL meter reading. In short, what you are getting is room boosted, lows with high levels of distortion which equal DB on your SPL meter.
Regards
Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom