What's the best sub £350 home cinema system?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by paulr2002, Mar 18, 2003.

1. paulr2002

paulr2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've read some good articles on the Digitheatre DTS sound system. I also have read it was released a while ago.

Does anyone recommend this all-in-one sound system or would they recommend something else? I've also seen some good write-ups on the Sony HT-SL5A.

Basically what's the best home cinema system (decoder+amp+speakers) for under £350?

Thanks

2. pingtuk

pingtuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Videologic DTS Digitheatre is pretty good and i've still got my one. Although it was a bit limited with connections as it has only one digital coaxial, digital optical and analogue L/R, which is why i've upgraded. As long as you don't need to use more than that number of connections then you'll be fine.

However i've had problems with the Videologic DTS. Twice they've gone faulty on me. The first time was after about 3 months of use, this was where it would just switch off after about 1-2 hours of use. This also happened to my 2nd replacement unit. So i'm not sure if it was just something to do with my setup or i was unlucky to get two faulty units. I've still to get around to sending that 2nd faulty unit back.

Also one thing that was badly lacking in the Digitheatre that i required was dolby prologic 2. Quite a few games i've got use this and its also good for watching normal TV in. So if you have no use of this then the Digitheatre would suit you.

All in all its pretty darned good value and great especially for watching DTS & 5.1 movies.

Hope this helps.

3. Jimmysil

Jimmysil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Have you considered getting a proper av amp and speakers.
    With 350 pounds you could just about afford a basic AV amp and a cheap speaker set.

For example a yamaha HTIB-45 Home Cinema set.

http://www.yamaha-audio.co.uk/homecinema/htib/htib-45/index.php

It for sale for under 350 (319 from hispek.co.uk).

Hope this helps.

4. paulr2002

paulr2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice so far, but does the Yamaha system come with speakers?

And are there any other all-in-one systems worth considering?

5. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Consider the Logitech Z-680 system, it does DD, dts, DPLII and ahs some form of THX cerification. I think it's around £260.

6. steev

steev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The HTiB-45 comes with some adequate little speakers and a 50W active sub. You also get enough cable to get going.

I'm happy with mine. The advantages over some of the Logitech and Videologic systems is that you get a proper receiver with RDS radio, lots of inputs including composite video and 5.1 in. You can always upgrade the speakers later.

7. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you considered the Creative Labs Inspire systems, I think they have a 6.1 all-in-one system including decoder (DTS, DD5.1, DPLII), about £250-300 I think.

8. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. steev

steev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    There's a slight difference in specs here:

Creative Inspire 5.1
    7 Watts (RMS) per surround satellite (x 4)
    Powerful 30 Watts (RMS) SLAM subwoofer
    21 Watts (RMS) centre channel
    Frequency Response 35Hz to 20kHz

Yamaha HTiB
    65 w x 5 channels
    Frequency Resp: 30 Hz— 27 kHz
    Subwoofer: Advanced Yamaha Active Servo processing : 50 W , 100 Hz

I considered some of the basic PC speaker sets as my DVD has 5.1 outs, but decided it was too much of a compromise as I also wanted DPLII from the TV. The Yamaha seemed to be the cheapest way to get all the features I wanted. The 430/5540 receiver has had some very good reviews.

10. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ditto. Above £300 I'd consider "proper", receiver-based gear though.

MuFu.

11. paulr2002

paulr2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, so it seems it would be better to go for a "proper receiver based gear".

I guess you mean by that separate speakers and amp? Sorry, I know it's very newbie stuff but I need to be sure the right set-up is going to last.

thanks

PS this set-up is going to be used from my TV/Video/DVD systems not PC.

12. jasonb

jasonb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you shop around you can get a sony DAV 550 for about 400.00. I brought one of these at xmas for my dad, so I could watch dvd's when visiting at xmas. I was so impressed with the little beast too, it even has component output and prog scan, so is future proofed for a few years. Even my mom thought that it was good which really takes some doing! Demo'd saving Private ryan to dad and it really blew me away. I really would save a few quid more and go for that. Easy to set up as well. I'm thinking of getting one for the bedroom.:hiya:

What do you guys think of this.....

13. Marcus Skidd

Marcus Skidd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It may have component output and progressive scan which could be useful if you have one of the rare TVs that accept component input signals but it doesn't have RGB which is a good enough reason for not buying one.

14. jasonb

jasonb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It does have s-video though and gave a cracking picture through a sony 32fx66. I'd rather have s-viedo through a good system than RGB through an average one