1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats the best 'Standard' System you have heard?

Discussion in 'Portable Disc & Media Players & Recorders' started by alancolledge, Sep 23, 2004.

1. alancolledge

alancolledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I am in the process of changing my car. I have a 02 Audi A4.
    I have always been fairly impressed by the standard system with 10 speakers and a dedicated 8inch Sub on the parcel shelf.

Although it won't be the deciding factor in choosing my next car, I would like to have a semi decent system. When I was younger I did the Sound offs in 1996, and got to the finals!, so I know I could put an install in but as this is a company funded car it wouldn't be an option.

I am thinking about an MPV with multimedia already fitted. Perhaps a Citreon C8. Has anone got an opinion on this or any other standard set up that they thought was pretty good?

2. corrado kid

corrado kid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    DB9 with a linn system! In all seriousness factory systems are better than ever, volvo use dynaudio in some of there cars lexus mark levinson ect. You really going to choose what car you get just cause of the factory stereo in it?

3. alancolledge

alancolledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    No I am not that silly! But it would be part of my appraisal. Being a company-ish car I wouldn't want to install if I could help it. Although I am wondering if these multi media DVD based systems are 5.1 or could have the speakers to be upgraded to be so?

Agree on the DB9 though. As part of my job I had a tour round N. Pagnell and saw the massive amplifier and what looked like 2 8inch speakers either side of a 10 or even 12incn sub. Good looking install too.

4. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Citroen C8 is an impressive computer on wheels.

Best standard system (apart from DB9) Martin Levinson kit in the Lexus range.

5. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    I've just recently got a Citroen C8 SX, with the standard single slot CD/radio.

It's "OK". The head unit itself is overly fussy, with too many buttons. Sound quality is acceptable, but a bit lacking in bass. Radio reception seems pretty good though.

I don't class myself as an audiophile by any means, but IMHO the single slot CD/radio system on our previous Ford Galaxy was easier to use and had a meatier quality to the sound.

BTW if you are going for a C8, be sure to get parking sensors (part of the VIP pack). This is one BIG car.

6. alancolledge

alancolledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Squiffy they would be on there as a must. I have had them on my A4 and you can get used to them!

How have you got on with the other features? Has it got those carparktastic electric rear doors? :clap:

When I get mine it sounds like I might be fabricating a small sub for it then.

7. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    The car is pretty good all round really. The controls are a lot more fussy than in the Galaxy, but then this has much more equipment - automatic lights, automatic wipers, excess speed alerts, etc. I also found the Galaxy was a bit sportier to drive, and event though was an Auto the Galaxy seemed faster too.

On the plus side, the C8 is definitely a bit roomier, is more refined on the motorway, is more economical, is a lower insurance group, is safer (5* Euro NCAP) and has much better levels of equipment. Plus it looks nice - especially in GunMetal with the aluminium rear spoiler. :devil: Even the spoiler is clever as it splits in two and becomes a set of roofbars.

And those doors are fantastic. Just click a button on the keyfob to automatically open them - much easier when you're trying to handle wayward 18 month old twins. :thumbsup:

Sorry for going off topic. :rolleyes:

I think the car could probably do with a subwoofer. But as I don't drive it, and when I do it's full of kids anyway there isn't much point for us.

I'll just stick with my Skoda Fabia VRS. :devil: :smashin: Mind I'm finding the stereo on this car is a bit weedy and I'm seriously considering some sort of upgrade. :rolleyes:

8. clarky78

clarky78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    My renault traffic van!!!!

I have £2500 quids worth of ice in my car (no dvd's or screens, just sounds) and i still think the bog standard headunit and speakers in the van are amasing. And the bass actually hits you in the chest!! Really wide soundstage too due to the width of the van.

9. dongagon

dongagon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    volvo C70 with dolby pro logic system has 14 speakers
    Volvo XC90 has 15 speakers both sound systems are powerful and do not distort when 'pushed'

10. springtide

springtide

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    Sorry to bring this one up again.... But has anyone seen the VW Passat "Dynaudio" upgrade in the flesh?

http://www.dynaudio.de/eng/auto/vw.php?sid=43ce4eccd648a

10 Speakers, 10 Amps and 600 watts RMS.

Does it sound as good in real life? None of the VW garages I've been too seem to have this fitted on their demo cars.

11. guido

guido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Another vote for the Dolby setup in the Volvos.. was at a Volvo driving day last year and they had an XC90 with the top of the range audio... very impressive with the Dolby sampler CD they had.... sounded like you were being overtaken by planes, trains etc!!! :smashin:

Specs from the volvo site:
    • 12 Premium Sound loudspeakers
    • Dolby Pro Logic II® Surround sound
    • Premium Sound amplifier, 4x70 W, plus 25 W for the centre loudspeaker
    • Active 140 W sub-woofer

12. springtide

springtide

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    I tested a V70 Sport D5 which has the dolby prologic setup and I was a bit disapointed (although is was only the 4x 50watts rather than the 4x 75watts) -the speakers weren't really up to very much.

Was the XC90 with the Dynaudio speakers? (the V70 doesn't)

13. guido

guido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Not sure.. but it was on the Volvo Freedom test days where we did XC70 off-road, XC90 handling test, V70R round the track etc... so sure they would have had the top of the range system for demo. The XC90 with the audio demo was just used for audio demos and sat there all day.

14. M-Jay

M-Jay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lexus IS250 with Mark Levinson 13 speakers audio system.

15. Damien_Ireland

Damien_Ireland
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Mark Levinson systems are very good, produce nice deep bass with very treble and mid range.

The Volvo's system in the S40 is very good has a seperate EQ between the front and rear speakers and you can adjust nearly every paramater on it and is quite easy to use too.

16. Duffers0

Duffers0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not standard though part of the Multi Media upgrade at a cool £2700

17. Damien_Ireland

Damien_Ireland
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That includes sat nav and a DVD player too so not too bad really.