Question What's the best sound setup for games and music? Is 3d audio still relevant and do you use it?

Maxson

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I'm at a crossroads and I want to make the best choice for the long run. 12 years ago I bought a Z5500 speaker system and I was happy that it was the best I could get for games and music. The 5.1 effect was great and it sounded good for music, though not as good and an amp and stereo speakers. Now the electronics inside got old and are beyond economic repair, so I want to spend on something that will last, but my head is full of questions.

So, what's the best now, more than a decade on? I feel like I must be way behind on sound tech for PCs. I've got a creative x-fi soundcard, is that still good or do we connect to our speakers a better way now? Is HDMI or USB the way to connect to a sound system?

Is 5.1 still that relevant in games? Do most games even use 3d positional audio or is it old hat? If not, then I can get a simple stereo setup that will be great for music. I listen to music a fair bit on my PC now.

Knowledge me up please! What's your awesome setup and what did it cost? What would you buy? :)

I think most use headsets now?

I run HDMI from my GPU into an AV Receiver with a pretty good set of 5.1 speakers. Sounds great to me for music and games. I definitely enjoy positional audio for my games.

I also have a Logitech G930 headset which I think offers a convincing virtual 3d effect (though plenty would argue against that) which I mainly use when I want voice comms too. Never really listened to music through it.

Not sure what the best set up would be, seen as every body is different.
but i have :
Denon ceol piccolo
Dacmagic 100
Q acoustics 2020i
Sennheiser hd 598Se
which gets used for music,
and for gaming i use either my Hyperx cloud 2's or the sennheiser hd 598Se
and im more than happy with the little set up i have .

Last edited:
I think most use headsets now?
It does seem that way. I often use headphones now so as not to disturb my wife and neighbours.

I run HDMI from my GPU into an AV Receiver with a pretty good set of 5.1 speakers. Sounds great to me for music and games. I definitely enjoy positional audio for my games.
How big is your AV Receiver and where do you put it?

Not sure what the best would up be, seen as every body is different.
but i have :
Denon ceol piccolo
Dacmagic 100
Q acoustics 2020i
Sennheiser hd 598Se
which gets used for music,
and for gaming i use either my Hyperx cloud 2's or the sennheiser hd 598Se
and im more than happy with the little set up i have .
That might be the sort of thing I end up doing.

@Maxson dunno, a couple of shoeboxes? I have the Onkyo 414, sure you can Google for dimensions. Most AV Receivers are all a similar size.

It sits in a tall, retro hifi cabinet with all my other bits and my PC, in a Carbide 740 case, proudly atop. Will find a pic.

@Maxson dunno, a couple of shoeboxes? I have the Onkyo 414, sure you can Google for dimensions. Most AV Receivers are all a similar size.

It sits in a tall, retro hifi cabinet with all my other bits and my PC, in a Carbide 740 case, proudly atop. Will find a pic.
I thought yours might be a living room setup but I had a small hope you had found a small AVR! I don't want to make room for a big AVR on my desk though.

Last edited:
Its in my Study. Behind the camera position is a more traditional work desk and office chair. I don't game from my living room.

Why have the AV Receiver on your desk?

Cable lengths can be pretty long these days. Only the interface needs to be on your desk. I have the cable from my PC running along the edge of the room to the table and the TV / Speakers, buried in the wall.

If you're after a 5.1 speaker set you're gonna need to site a subwoofer too, and they ain't small. If space efficiency is important, I'd say get a headset.

Its in my Study. Behind the camera position is a more traditional work desk and office chair. I don't game from my living room.
Ah OK! I have a study in our new house but my PC used to be in the living room! I'm still getting my desk etc how I want it.

Why have the AV Receiver on your desk?
I'm used to having the volume control by my keyboard so I can adjust quickly if I need to. Do you use a remote to control volume on the AVR behind you?

Cable lengths can be pretty long these days. Only the interface needs to be on your desk. I have the cable from my PC running along the edge of the room to the table and the TV / Speakers, buried in the wall.

If you're after a 5.1 speaker set you're gonna need to site a subwoofer too, and they ain't small. If space efficiency is important, I'd say get a headset.
I've got the Z5500 sub under my desk and that's massive. One like yours would be preferable as that looks nice and compact and could go in any corner. I have space, my study is 2mtr x 3.8mtr although it does have to accommodate a sofabed as well as my desk. It's the wife that used a heavy veto on a full AVR. Even though it's 'my' study, the Wife Acceptance Factor is also important!

You might inspire me to follow your example and do a proper AVR setup for my pc yet!

I have a remote for the receiver but I usually use the volume keys on my keyboard.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom