1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats the best SKY box ?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by e603861, Jun 27, 2003.

1. e603861

e603861
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im getting Sky and was wondering which is the best box/reciever at the moment .

Thanks

2. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Others will probably disagree but I think the Panasonic still takes some beating. I don't think the differences are quite so noticable these days. I don't think there is such a thing as a bad one!

DaveP

3. ff2001

ff2001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having just bought a new plasma tv i was hoping for a good picture from sky using JS RBG<->VGA convertor. The pq on some channels is quite poor, probably more noticable now than previously. I currently have a AMSTRAD DRX300

Is a new sky box likely to make much difference? Are sky+ boxes worth getting based on pq rather than DD capability

Lee

4. ted26

ted26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I recently purchased a sony digibox for £150 which did not match the picture quality of my old panasonic :eek:

Kept the panasonic (worth about £50) sold the sony on ebay :p

The panasonics seem to be well respected by many sky engineers too :)

5. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ted26, glad to hear you are still enjoying "My" Panny!;)

DaveP

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    You are probably seeing the result of low bitrate/high compression mpegII channels on SKY D. Problems with PQ which are not evident on a basic 28" 50hz CRT can become evident as the display capabilities increase.

PQ is very subjective and a recomendation from anyone carries not guarantee that your hardware/eyes will agree.
    I haven't seen any significant difference between the PQ of the PACE SKY+ and PACE 2200 connected to my RPTV and while some people do say a certain make/model is better on their telly it's hard to quantify.

7. ted26

ted26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    :rotfl: davep its all mine :rotfl:

8. ff2001

ff2001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ted

What tv do you have, and which particular panny sky box

Lee

9. ted26

ted26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have a panny th-42pw5 plasma fed with a 3 yr old panny digi box(cant rem model number) via a JS RBG<->VGA convertor :)

The picture quality is good to say the screen is 42"

10. ff2001

ff2001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ted

i have exactly the same set up albeit with the amstrad.

This is the subjectiveness that starburst is on about.

Last night watching the football on either eurosport or channel five, sorry five, when there was a general shot of the pitch, the large areas of green became blocky with jaggeded edges around the players. I tried with my old sony 28" and the poor quality was there, and noticable when watching cricket and tennis .

Also when watching transition between white and black it looks like the picture is in 256 colours with distinct grading zones.

Is this the best that can be expected? can anything improve on this?

Lee

11. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You say it's an old Sony but do you have any "picture enhancement" technology turned on? You can get clashes. Try turning all digital processing off, if you can. Even try 50 Hz if your set is 100Hz switchable.

DaveP

12. ff2001

ff2001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The old sony is only a 50Hz set, and i don't think it has any picture enhancements, but will have a look tonight. but it is the plasma 42wd panny that i want a better picture on. i was using the sony as a reference.

Is it worth calling out SKY, or getting some-one in to look at the quality of the sky signal? I am going to try a friends sky box to gauge improvements for myself. my question is really are these glitches expected / lived with?

Lee

13. ted26

ted26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I think u have a problem somewhere m8 as i get no blockiness on any channels even when the camera pans across the screen pretty sharpish.

The only prob i have is that the picture is sometimes not as sharp as i would like but this is due to how it is broadcast and not my set up :)

As u have spent so much cash already i would advise u get someone to have a look and see if your dish is aligned properly or swap your sky digi box with someone u know to see if its the box!

14. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    I finally settled on THIS reciever. Whether it's 'the best' or not, i don't know, however it's quick and stable and works for me.

15. charlaph

charlaph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just for everyones information as this is a thread newcomers are likely to look at, I was given a Thomson DSi 4101 skybox with my recent installation and it's very good. Picture quality is good with an average 2/3 strength, and it's one of the fastest switching/menu navigating boxes I've ever used. Very happy with it considering it came as part of the £1 installation offer. So far in my first month it's only locked up once forcing me to turn it off and back on again, after which it's worked faultlessly.

16. ff2001

ff2001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    charlap

It is this very same box that I am borrowing to compare with my amstrad. It should be interesting to see the difference. The guy who i am borrowing it off claims that he doesn't get a good picture, and that sometimes the analogue ariel gives better pq

I wish i was as fortunate to get one lock-up on my amstrad. recently it has taken a miute or two just to power up. will probably get sky out to have a look anyway

Lee

17. ff2001

ff2001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    compared the pq between the amstrad and thompson and would be lying if i said i could see a difference.

i am going to get sky+ for sound reasons but want to improve signal quality at the same time current at around 60% for strength and 75% for quality

Anyone have any experience with improving signal quality and strength through sky.

Lee