Established Member
Reaction score
i watch it in a dark room
but getting really lost with the dve disc
somefilms look good then some really bad
what is it best to have contrast and sharpeness set to
thanks in advance
jason

Good grief, I have been trying for ages to set up my AE500.
I use AVIA and still it's a bugger.
The only thing I can say is just try and twiddle with Contrast - Brightness - and maybe pixel clock if using a PC. Leave the sharpness where it is..I find that is best.
I did the flicker adjust by going into options and holding down the enter button and adjusting the flicker.
I am constantly fiddling with the settings and have decided just to let it be. Be careful not to lose detail in the blacks when adjusting the conrast and black levels.
The state of some DVD transfers mean that some films look great and some dont...this isn't down to your equipment! More to do with poor telecine transfers.
I think the AE500 is shipped with a pretty good setup...but be careful not to let it ruin the enjoyment of your movies...Guilty....

Cheers

Chris

i own the sony 930
what player do u think will give the best piture ?
i am between samsung 935 ,PANASONIC RP-82,
unsure what do go for ??
anybody own either with the ae500

I've got an AE500 that i'm using with the Samsung 935 and i couldn't be happier. Picture quality is amazing using the DVI route, but you need to alter the picture setting (625/720/hdtv60) depending on the source material. I tend to use 720 for Pal films and HDTV60/1080i for ntsc. I haven't noticed this 'Judder' on Pal films yet, to be honest i dont' really want to.

Basically, one happy punter.

Hi STan

Is the difference between DVI and component vastly noticeable?
DVI interests me but it does mean trying to hide another cable.

Cheers

Chris

This system is an upgrade from an AE100 connected to a number of different dvd players over the years, all of which fed the pj via the amp to a PRO-V on through a d-sub connector. only ever used component once with a Lecson dvd which didn't impress me.
Sky went in through an RGB to S-VIDEO converter then to the amp etc. Too much processing ruined the picture though. Now with the AE500 i'm using a high quality scart direct to the pj, this has improved the quality, shame about the content, but the footy is ok.
If you can, go with the DVI.

read this post:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=129548

it'll show you how much trouble I had with the AVIA disc. Now much improved after buying a £7.50 filter to stick over.
My panny now looks as good as an H30 (but I had to reclaibrate using AVIA).

problems: as someone implied: still looks pants in daytime
and I can't figure out how to set the Gamma using avia's oh-so-well-explained Gamma test pattern.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom