What's the best security software/virus checker that will not slow down my laptop?

anit999999

Standard Member
Reaction score
What's the best security program/virus checker/firewall/spyware program that will not slow down my laptop running XP?

I am currently using Norton as it came free with the laptop but I think it seems to slow my laptop down. Is there a security program that will not use a lot of system resources and slow the laptop down?

Is Microsoft's Windows Defender sufficient? I can get F-Secure for free, is it any good?

My sons came with Norton.:eek::eek: Never use it, go for AVG free edition. HERE

Hi.
For your Firewall, I recommend ZoneAlarm. It's free.
For your anti-virus/anti-spyware/anti-rootkit, I recommend AVG Anti-Virus 8.0 Professional (see my other thread on how to get this for free.)
I also recommend you use two other anti-spyware apps: Ad Aware 2007 Free and Spybot S&D.
Finally, defragment once a week and use CCleaner to get rid of all the crap and temp files.
Hope that helps!

esat nod32 uses the least system resources...and its damn good too...

Hi,

You could try a 'Yoggie Gatekeeper Pico'. In a nutshell, it's a mini pc (on a USB stick) that runs a Linux based security suite. Once the drivers have been installed the device takes control of your net connection and does all the security checking/filtering/blocking on the stick. This means that there is no slow down at all as the host PC.

They were mentioned on the Gadget Show last Monday and since then I've done some digging on the net. They look very interesting and get very good write ups, so much so that I've just ordered myself one!

There is a very good, in depth review on youtube - search for Yoggie -hope that helps.

It's a bit of a contentious subject, everyone seems to have their favourites. I won't knock anyone elses choices but I would steer clear of all the big names (such as Norton). These seem to run at 30-50% resources at times, not what you need on a laptop. ZoneAlarm is a fantastic product (firewall), but if you get the spam and antivirus right, there's nothing wrong with the built in Windows firewall (I used ZoneAlarm before the Windows Firewall came out).

My personal security consists of Windows firewall, AVG Free antivirus, Adaware, and Spybot Search & Destroy. With a search carried out with all at least once a week, anything downloaded should be right clicked and searched with AVG before you do anything else with it (including moving it). A restore point set before you install anything (or uninstall for that matter). And finally, regular backups of anything important.

This lot should keep you safe, that's been my setup for about 4-5 years (minus the Windows firewall) and, touch wood, I've been quite safe. :lesson:

Here endeth my two pennies worth. Good luck, Mick.

No AV will not not slow down your system. What you want is an AV that will have the least impact in terms of performance. Now I'd personally recommended Eset Nod32.

@MickMack: ZA has been a terrible piece of software since it got bought out. Pretty much on the same level of Norton stuff.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom