Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

What's the best screen position ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Ray, Apr 10, 2005.

1. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi,

I'm in the middle of building the walls to a new HC room and need to put in a mount for the centre speaker. Trouble is I haven't worked out exactly where the screen will be positioned (IN THE MIDDLE - I hear you cry!).

I'm going to build a fixed frame 96" x 54" but need to know how far off the ground the bottom edge should be. When seated should your eye-level be 1/3 of the way up the screen or 1/2 way up the screen. What's the general consensus ?

Unfortunately I don't have a PJ yet so can't just project and make my own mind up.

Cheers

Ray :)

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
  3. kelaD

kelaD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had a sacrifice speaker height slightly (so the tweeters are below ear height, by placing the speakers on their stands horizontally) so that the screen height is not too high. Has anyone alse had difficulty in balancing audio and visual??

4. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I get around ! :eek: That's good coming from you PJ ! :devil: Shouldn't you be hanging around in the DVD players forum ? :D

I'll take a look at the link - ta

As far as screen/speaker height I'm glad to say I've allowed 18" either side of the screen for my CD100s. Hopefully this is still far enough from the wall for them.

Cheers

Ray

5. Malky1903

Malky1903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Apparently, 37" from the floor to the bottom of the screen is ideal for most home cinema set ups.

6. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,721
    Having the screen too high can give neck strain after prolonged viewing, which is why the 1/3rd of the way up eye-line is a good guide. It's your screen and your personal preference though. :)

You'll find looking down more comfortable than looking up, so try not to have it too high if you can.

Gary.

7. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Thanks. I think the 1/3 rd rule at eye level is a good starting point to experiment.