What's the best recorder to get at the moment ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by HMHB, Feb 2, 2009.

1. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,256
    I've currently got 2 very old Panasonic recorders, one with hdd and the other without. I'm looking to replace the one without with a new recorder with hard drive and am obviously leaning towards Panasonic but wondered if any of the others are worth considering.
    I've lost touch with the DVD Recorder market over the last year or so. Are there any bluray recorders yet? Is there any sign of them on the horizon if not?
    Another question is about Dual Layer. If I record onto DL will they be playable in my normal DVD players ?
    Thanks

2. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    Hi John

Bluray might appear at any time, but it is completely unknown when or if.

Panasonic have test marketed a Bluray up market recorder in Australia and France ... but we have the problem here that there is nothing to drive the market as there is no HD broadcasting yet available on an open platform system.

It has been opined, given that Panasonic have been producing integrated Freesat tuners into TV's , that they may take that route and produce an integrated Freesat Bluray Recorder.
    But it is just a possibility.

Even if it happened it would be expensive. and limited in scope as the general broadcasting of HD still does not have a fixed specification.

Basically it is still just way too early to be thinking of the bluray route... and I would say will not even be worth thinking about until 2012 at the very earliest.

Which leaves you back at DVDR's.

Consider the EX78... or slightly cheaper and with some of its higher functions stripped out to be a good solid easy to use machine the EX768.

3. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,256
    Cheers Gav, as I suspected really then :) I've been looking at the EX78 and had virtually made my mind up on that but thought I'd ask here first.
    Any experience on burning dual layer DVDs ?

4. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,078
    Hi John - I use a Pioneer DVD Recorder (see my sig) and, whilst I have not done it often, I have recorded on to DL (+) and, after finalizing, they played fine on other DVD players.

One thing I did notice however was that it takes much longer to finalize a DL disc than it does a single layer one, something like 20 minutes compared to 2 - however, it did work.

Cheers,

Martin.

5. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,256
    Cheers to you both :thumbsup:

6. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,256
    Well Amazon have it for sale at £230, and MultiRegion Magic have it for £253 multi-region. Not sure if I need it multi-region or not.
    Has anyone seen it for a better price than these ? I doubt it to be honest as these seem very good prices.

7. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    Hi John

Probably not. I have not been following prices in recent weeks but they have been rising again after the xmas dip in prices... at which time it was £205 on Amazon which is the best I've ever seen. [ So I bought one :) ]
    It is probably the best you will find now I think.

I think you'll like it. Just that bit noticeably smoother and faster and more solid than previous models.

Sorry about missing the the dual layer issue earlier.

Virtually all commercial DVD's are dual layer.. so it follows that standard DVD players have had universal DL support for years.

Good luck with your purchase. :smashin:

8. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,256
    Cheers mate :thumbsup: I'm sure it'll start up a lot faster than my old E55 and E85H machines. They're both still working fine but the startup speeds do get somewhat annoying :D

9. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,256
    Quick question, does this machine have that setting that you need to disable before you can high speed dub like you had to on the old machines ? I can't remember what the setting was called!
    Last quick question! There's an option for copying speeds, one for normal (less noise) and the other high speed. I've selected normal on this, I assume this won't be too slow ?

10. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    The 'Record for High Speed Copying ' setting is no longer required [ or present].

I use the lower [Normal setting ] routinely and find it plenty fast enough.

11. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,256
    God this machine makes my old machines seem really naff and clunky :D You're right Gav, these machines are a lot slicker these days!

12. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    I'm glad you think so.

You may have figured this out already... but one thing that flummoxed me at first, which I had not seen before, were the little green flags next to recorded titles in the navigator... which, I discovered eventually, indicate titles that have not yet been watched.

13. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,256
    :D I'd not even noticed those flags !

14. Lady-in-Black

Lady-in-Black
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you haven't bought one yet, Amazon have just reduced the price to £220.98...

15. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,256
    :( Thanks for ruining my day, yes I've already bought it and using it! ;)

16. SD Viewer

SD Viewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Would also recommend the EX78. However I can't get it to work properly with +R DL discs (Verbatim x2.4). The other annoyance is that it doesn't keep a record of programme details once recorded, not a problem for "series" but frustrating for films where the title doesn't usually give much of a clue as to even the genre. Also if I were buying again I would get the larger capacity EX88

17. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,256
    I just burned my first -R DL disc today and all went well. I bought a 5 pack of Verbatim ones from Amazon as a test.

I've realised that I've only previously burned RAM discs with this recorder (even though I've had it all this time) so this was the first -R disc that I've burned. Am I right in thinking that when you use the Copy option it does the finalizing as well?

18. PanaPhonic

PanaPhonic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi John,

I have the EX88 and although I've not done a DL disc yet, I can tell you that the "normal" ones will finalize as part of the copy process.

Actually, I should clarify that when you go to copy a disc, it will ask you if you do want to finalize it - so you have the convenience of NOT finalizing if you don't want to, or to save time if you do and therefore save you one more step.

I actually find that very convenient as it saves me a lot of time as I don't have to remember to go back to check my machine - which inevitably I will (forget)! :D

Hope that answers your question - though am not sure what model you have.

- Morris

19. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,256
    Thanks for that, I have the EX78.

20. PanaPhonic

PanaPhonic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ah... in that case it should be the same for you too, as I just noticed that the manual I have covers your model also.

Presumably that should mean that the only differences are the DivX feature (missing in yours right?) and of course, the size of your HDD.

Now... as long as I've got your attention, I'd like to ask a quick question, seeing that both units are practically identical.

Has your EPG changed recently? Mine has in that it doesn't display the ads on the left.

I don't mind really as it all works as it should, but was wondering if that's a "bad sign" - that is, of something that's not going to work (within the EPG).

Last question regarding the EPG I have is whether your "host" is also Virgin Radio.

In case you don't know where to find this, if you go to the GuidePlus+ System Information (it's in the Others > System Update > GuidePlus+ System Information).

This will give you a listing of how the EPG is set, and one of them will be the "host" - which hopefully will say "Virgin Radio".

If it doesn't, I have no idea how that's changed or whether it can be changed...

Thanks for your input.

- Morris

21. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,256
    Guideplus version says 0.34
    Hots Service says D.TV X.X.X

I just get a grey square on the left hand side with the DIGA logo on.

22. Adrian_F

Adrian_F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    If you use the Copy option then discs are automatically finalized and if you use the Advanced Copy option then you are given a choice of whether to finalize or not.

23. PanaPhonic

PanaPhonic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for doing that.

However, you almost got it.

It was in fact the very next line that I needed (called "Host Name").

If you click here, you will see what I'm talking about (where it says Virgin Radio).

Does yours look like that too? I mean, does it say Virgin Radio and all the other numbers match yours too? It should do, as far as I'm concerned as the units are effectively identical.

Thanks...

24. PanaPhonic

PanaPhonic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for clarifying that, Adrian... shows how long it's been since I've copied a DVD! :D

25. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,256
    No mine hardly has any information in at all, it's mostly full of Xs !
    Edit - there's no dates and no status information and everything is an X .

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  26. PanaPhonic

PanaPhonic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    That's weird... I'd expect for your machine to show the same things as mine.

Just so we're "on the same page", did you go to the correct menu? (Others > System Update > GuidePlus+ System Information) -click here to see the menu I mean.

Thanks for your help with this (sorry to be a pain! :))...

- Morris

27. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,256
    Yes that's where I went for my information. I did notice that I hadn't entered a post code so I entered that. Maybe my settings will update over the next day?

28. PanaPhonic

PanaPhonic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for checking....

Yes, putting the post code will update the EPG according to the area you live (or so I read), but perhaps it doesn't matter - it also will give you the ads I was referring to.

When I finally put in my post code, that's what happened, and yes, it does take about 24 hours or so.

Now, for some reason, the ads are gone (not that I cared in the first place), and if I go to the (now) logo (with the Options button on the remote), it says that I need to set it up and put in my post code - which is what it said when I first got the machine. Of course, I DO have my post code set. You can anyway use any post code you want - you can put just your main city's code if you like.

Like I said, I really don't care about the ads - just want to be sure that nothing else goes missing... so to speak!

Thanks again. :smashin:

- Morris

29. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    Getting the EPG data depends on you having a Post code entered and the time being correct.

You may also need to put the unit in standby to get data to download.

30. marrtin

marrtin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I noticed oddly enough, that my Guide Plus+ on my EX88 had dropped the adverts recently in favour of promoting the Guide Plus+ feature itself even though it says it is not available in Great Britain.

My details are different in as much as I have no mention of Virgin but Price-drop tv instead.

My host name is "Sit-up Ltd.Price-drop tv" which I think is a bit weird?

Another point, my last download was 05/01/2009 and the next one is scheduled for 06/08/2009. I have noticed before, there have been a number of other dates here, and when the date is reached, no download seems to take place, but date is simply replaced with one a few days in the future. I wonder why?

Incidentally PanaPhonic, you do realise the image you posted contains your postcode?

Byeee