What's the best Pronto ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Corazonis, May 31, 2004.

1. Corazonis

Corazonis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok ok, so I meant value for money with functionality and not "The Best" as i'm sure that comes with spending £££££ :blush: !

Budget is not necessarily an issue, but there is no point spending too much for functionality i'm not going to use.

Need to control usual stuff - SKY, SKY+, AV AMP, PLASMA, DVD, DVD RECORDER, etc.

I also have a home PC network, which i'd like to control via the pronto (Is pronto just IR or is there one with Wireless/RF capability ?). Basically, i'm going to pipe music and (hopefully) video around the house, which means i'm going to want the option to push music/video to a number of zones.

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

2. vizslaraner

vizslaraner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It seems to me that your best bet would be the TSU3000/RU950 or TSU7000/RU980, the former being 16 colour greyscale and the latter colour. Both are capable of IR or RF transmission, though bear in mind that the RF frequencies between the American models (TSU) and European models (RU) are different. I would also suggest you check out the Marantz models and "hard button" remotes such as the "Home Theater Master" range.

Details for all of these remotes, reviews etc., can be found at Remote Central.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    For Wifi look at Ipronto that is 802.11b compatible and can browse web etc, For IR control of the kit you list i prefer HArmony remotes more Wife friendly than pronto and easier to set up, pronto programming is an ARTform!!!

4. vizslaraner

vizslaraner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

That I wouldn't disagree with - I also find the idiosyncrasies within the various forms of ProntoEdit very frustrating. However, the FAQ’s and forums at RC are a great resource for sorting out problems – there’s also numerous CCF and PCF files one can download and edit.

NB
    There’s also information on the iPronto and Harmony range.

5. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    TSU3000/RU950 is a great remote and I just happen to have an as new, boxed one for sale in the classifieds together with the docking station. If you're interested I'll even throw in a free setup (within reason).

Cheers

6. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The best pronto I have so far tried is the little NEO. Programming asside, I feel it is a much nicer remote to use than standard prontos

ad

7. RossC

RossC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Been thinking of getting a Neo (or the Marantz equivalent) but have read on remote central that it's a bit of an awkward one to setup? What's your experience Buns. Basically have narrowed down my choice to an MX500, Neo or perhaps a Sony 3100. Have arelatively simple set-up of Arcam DV27 HK5550 and Pace Twin into an NEC plasma.

Any opinions welcome!