What's the best price for XP

shoehorn

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I'm about to get a PC with no operating system.
Does anyone know the best (ie cheapest) place to get XP from?
Thanks.

Thanks...
I've got a 98 license already so I guess an upgrade would do.....
- would I need to install 98 and then do the upgrade?
and what is the OEM version - should I get that instead?

I believe that you're right about the Windows 98.

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer - in other words, it's for companies who build PC's - I'm not sure if people like you and me can just buy and install it - perhaps a quick call or email to Ebuyer would clear both questions up.

Cheers,

Martin.

Anyone who builds and sells on equipment can buy OEM software - Microsoft don't really care who you are

:).Hi,I just got Windows MCE2005 from Ebuyer last week,best price that I could find and also Windows XP SP2 is the cheapest price about.They are both OEM products but you can install and use them as you see fit,Microsoft as previously mentioned dont much care what you do with it so long as they get the cash.Ebuyer are a really good company to deal with I have been using them for years and cant fault them.Some other places that sell OEM software are very picky about selling you any Windows OS.A few wont sell unless you buy parts to Build a PC at the same time,Maplins for example wont unless you buy a motherboard,Hdd,CPU etc.Ebuyer will sell these OEM Windows OS without any hardware products no questions asked.:D.

OEM copies should be sold with a pc or major component parts such as a hard drive or motherboard. Microsoft used to be hot on this though they may have relaxed that stance since the checks on the authenticity of XP started in ernest in February (I think). Too many glowing recommendations could result in E-buyer being asked to be more dilligent when selling OEM copies. There is also an issue with pirate copies of Windows out there and I am aware of at least one major distributor of pc parts who was caught out with very good copies. It may be better to look at the best chance of authenticity and/or redress if they are copies than straight cost IMO.

Aria (aria.co.uk) are doing OEM copies of XP Home for £56.15, XP Pro for £91.42 and MCE for £72.79.

You have to purchase a non-peripheral piece of hardware at the same time. One guy asked if he could purchase an OEM copy with an internal 56K modem and they said yes!

I've ordered a few things from here in the past with no problems.

Regards

Big_Vern

Thanks all!
So is there any difference between the OEM version and the normal version? (apart from price!)

That and OEM is for system builders

But hey, if you don't tell and I don't...

An even better deal can be had if you happen to have a student in the house. A student or parent may purchase the academic version of Pro for 70 notes :smashin: - only do this if the laptop/pc is for the student though... ;)

LFC_SL said:
An even better deal can be had if you happen to have a student in the house. A student or parent may purchase the academic version of Pro for 70 notes :smashin: - only do this if the laptop/pc is for the student though... ;)
I do! And the PC is for him! (he's only 7, but in full-time education!). Where do I get one from!

Oh and is it a full version or only an upgrade from 98?
(and if the upgrade - what's the difference?)

shoehorn said:
Oh and is it a full version or only an upgrade from 98?
(and if the upgrade - what's the difference?)
The student version is an upgrade, but you could probably do a clean install with no problems.

I bought the OEM version of XP Home with SP2 from Komplett for £58. No need to buy any other hardware as that restriction has now been dropped as long as you install the software in your own assembled PC. This is the full version, not the upgrade.

It registered first time I connected to the 'net without any problems.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom