Whats the best portable DAB with.....

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by mrmicp, Jan 18, 2008.

1. mrmicp

mrmicp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi All,

Looking at getting a portable DAB for work and the house. I would like to be able to record shows and rewind digital radio, in actual fact I would like as many functions on it as possible :smashin:

I like the look of the Bug Too and have found it for £75.00 inc P&P, but I have heard that the light is still bright on the dim setting when trying to get to sleep and also the buttons can be a bit fiddly to use. The price seems right and so does functionality.

So really I guess what I am asking is if anyone can recommend a good DAB radio that fits the spec required?

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

2. FredW

FredW
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi, I would recommend the Pure Evoke 3 as the set that has all the features you want. Its probably the most advanced DAB set around,and it has a good backup service online. Only problem is the price,but you get what you pay for. I`ve had one since they first came out and have had no problems as yet. You have to also pay extra for the powerpack and SD card. but overall its a great piece of kit.

3. qwerty1234

qwerty1234
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    you mentioned the brightness of the display when going to sleep does this mean you need an alarm function as this would seriously limit your choice.

4. mrmicp

mrmicp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Cheers fredw, the cheapest I can find that radio is £154 to be honest thats proably a bit too much to spend when I could get 2 Bug Too's for that price :eek:

If i could get it for under £100 then I would, but it looks like at this time maybe the Bug Too will be the best especially as it's my first DAB.

5. mrmicp

mrmicp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Yeah thinking about it an alarm clock function would be essential, I usually use my phone as an alarm but would be nice to wake up to the radio :cool:

6. ProfessorYaffle

ProfessorYaffle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    You can choose to have the backlight off and it then only lights up when you press a button (if you have alternatives to check the time e.g. phone/watch/sleepy wife). And the buttons are OK on the Bug Too as they've moved the Standby function away from the central button which, as it also controlled volume and station selection, made it fiddly on the original Bug.

For reconditioned Grade A Bugs for under £40, try Morgan Computers

7. mrmicp

mrmicp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Excellent cheers prof :thumbsup: So after the software upgrade on the Bug one is it just the lay out which is different to the bug too?

8. ProfessorYaffle

ProfessorYaffle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Yes, once upgraded to firmware v2.2, the original Bug is almost identical to the Bug Too, aside from the lack of a dedicated standby button. The build of the original is better too, as it seems to be made of a better grade of plastic...

9. mrmicp

mrmicp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21

Excellent thanks for your help, have just ordered one from the suggested website!!