1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats the best plasma for £2-2.5k

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Riva, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Riva

Riva
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently bought a new HD dlp screen and am having a few problems. i am still in the position where it may be snt back for a refund and therefore will be in the market for a replacement screen. I have apprex £2-2500 to spend and am looking for the best 42" plus screen I can get (my dlp is 45" and would like to stay with this size). I have a sky+ connection, so i dont have to have a built in tuner. I really want that WOW factor when watching DVD`s - something i am not getting at the moment.

Your suggestions and recomendations would be gratefully recieved.

Rdgs

Chris

2. stritiknaf

stritiknaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was going to ask the same question :)

I am new to plasmas and am on the procees of buying one. I have read some stuff about the subject (models, caractheristics....) and need to decide.
    What do you experts think about this? Whats the best model for this price range? Any thoughts are very welcome. :smashin:

I'm specially looking for a 42'' plasma in this price range (2000-2500) that is hd ready (resolution above 720). Is this possible?? I can only hope so :)

Best regards to all

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Unfortunately, at the moment I can only quote Highlander to you and it's a crap movie: There can be only 1.... It's the Pioneer FDE in this priice range. If you want better with current technology, it's not hard, but you will need more quite expensive parts to go with sky HD, go for the Panasonic PHD7. But go get yourself a demo, and beat up the salesman to get a sky/freeview demo via scart on the FDE or XDE The latter has freeview built in, but it's the quality of the scart input you should be interested in. The Pio. is superb on HD digital, (not hard to do) IMHO weak on scart.

4. buzzby

buzzby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have the panny 42PE30 and IT ROCKS.

It is not HD ready but i will not be getting it any time soon so no prob for me. It does have a freeview decoder built in so it might not be the best for you. Have a look and the panny PW7's as i beleiev these are the same if not better screen

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    the best picture is 42PHD7 (panasonic)....................ISF calibrated of course!!!!!

6. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Wait a month or two and you can get the new HD Viera (I'd consider pre-ordering). Av-sales has it at £2773 (TBC), and that's with the fairly substantial stand. As far as I can see, this is totally future-proof, wife-friendly, with the latest version 8 screen.

Yes, the panel version will be more tweakable, but that ain't due til September.

The Specs PDF now up again at av-sales (also posted on the Viera 500 thread):

1024 x 720 is for the 37" HD - will that look better (ie. no vertical scaling on 720p stuff)?

HD models have something called CATS (Contrast Automatic Tracking System). Is this what causes the black level changes on the existing HD panels that everyone gets ****** off about?

No VGA connector: something called a Mini D-sub 15 pin, on the rear.

Lastly, a slightly ambiguous description of the accepted signals: 750 (720)/50p, 1125 (1080)/50i. Why the brackets? Overscan?

7. Rahmorak

Rahmorak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Not so sure about the wife friendly, my wife and I both think the new vierra design leaves something to be desired, but then we didn't like the last design either. :)

8. stritiknaf

stritiknaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the input guys!!

I'll be looking for more info about the Panasonic and the Pionner.

I have been reading other threads, and i have a doubt:

Whats a scaler? Does it convert normal tv signal to hdtv signal? Whats the price of one of these things??

Again, thank you in advance for your help.

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Not quite converts, but it's the next best thing. Chalk and cheese to ordinary connections. You will need to use a panel only version to work well with a scaler though, don't go falling in love with gloss black if thats the way you want to go, it just won't quite cut the mustard.

10. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ^^ HI Maw - I didn't realise that the Vieras didn't work well with a scaler. Why is this? The new ones will have an HDMI connector, now...

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    the current crop of scalers work at there best when they bypass all of the internal processing in a screen (basically replace it with better quality kit) it is very very to do this on a TV plasma cureent Veiras in particular..Scalers do wonderful things for connectivity and Bespoke solutions (what like MAW does), if you buy a plasma TV and scaler you are wasting money duplicating things..... (HDMI is not the be all and end all) but wil make using a Veira and scaler easier if it is a good enough implementation...I still prefer RGBHV as a connection for PQ

12. stritiknaf

stritiknaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One quick question (another :) ),

Is it better to have a tv with an integrated tunner, or have it separated?

I mean, if i want to use a scaller with my receptor, or ever in the picture quality, is it better from an external one?

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    If you are going the scaler route, you need a separate tuner, a digital one of some sort, doesn't matter much which one. Then all your video sources are connected to the scaler, then to the screen.

14. stritiknaf

stritiknaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What do you think of this:

Hitachi 42PD4200, 42PD5200, 42PD5300?

How does it compare with the panasonic?

And do you think the LG 42px11 belongs among them, or is it inferior (or superior) ?

15. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Hitachis are what we'd describe as a marmite screen. You either love it or hate it. I certainly wouldn't cross the road to *** on the LG if it were on fire. (specially not if still plugged in) I have some issues with the Hitachis, not the best with a scaler, and you'll find every other professional installer agrees with me on Hitachi. They have a small but vociferous fan club here, who will soon show up to complain at me rubbishing their taste in plasmas. Don't buy one for use with a scaler, consider it if no scaler if you like.

16. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After that comment, next time I see you on fire on the other side of the road, you can **** on yourself!! How dare you !!! :mad: :D
    There indeed can be only one...and Highlander is it!!!

17. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Perhaps it's part 3 and 4 that are crap? Got bored with them after a while. Happy to see you haven't joined the LG fan club!

18. kayemd

kayemd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was about to buy that LG as for £1500 is there anything better?

19. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It's pretty much bottom of the pile. I'll get flamed for saying so mind you, folks are terribly partisan about their own sceens.

20. kayemd

kayemd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, Well I dont have one yet so tell me why its bottom of the pile and what is better for 1.5K and why!

Cheers

21. madasahat

madasahat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    here we go again panny panny panny you shore your not sleeping with one maw :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

22. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  23. kayemd

kayemd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers hd, i read through the other day. I guess they say it comes down to personal pref sometimes with plasma TV's as there are plenty of people who seem to like the LG and then loads who don't such as MAW!

It just seems easier with a set like the LG where as the panny you need to get the boards etc. Plus i wanted to buy from JL so get the free 5 year guarantee and there selection is limited?

24. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    so what you are saying is you want a limited choice and something thats middle of the road, does the job and isnt anything special? (buying boards isnt a pain just phone a good dealer and say i want a so and so and to connect X,Y,Z its not hard....

25. kayemd

kayemd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know I know - but by the time I buy an additional warranty i will end up spending over 2K which I cant afford? what would you say is a better set then with boards (if needed) and a good warranty for around 1.5?

Thanks for your help.

26. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    well there isnt much there is the Philips 9946 is it I'm not keen it. LG is probaly your only option as you are limited to one retailer..................who dont carry a huge range

27. kayemd

kayemd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    not saying i am def limited to one retailer but would want one who offer as good customer services as JL - I have read some bad stories about people getting **** service when they have problems - any ideas?

28. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    well AV-sales service is pretty blooody good!

29. kayemd

kayemd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what about panasonic TH42PWD6BX from richer sounds - i guess I need cards but probably could do for £1500. would this be better than the LG or is it an old set (something RS often do)?

CHeers

30. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The words I'm looking for rhyme with "clutter banker"...but I'm not allowed to say that her am I...?