Whats the best Mouse for PC gaming?

RoanS said:
I can only talk from my own experience. I owned a logitec cordless 18months ago & found a great deal more response when i moved to the mx510. My ol’ man also owns logitec cordless mouse & keyboard, & the keyboard is a nightmare for losing signal. Maybe not set up right, maybe faulty I dont really know.

If you guys could convince me, Id be willing to give them another go. What would you guys recommend for a stable gaming cordless keyboard & mouse?

tbh I wasnt top of the class, & it was a very long time ago ;)

some of the older cordless mice were terrible ... maybe thats tainted your experience ....

for the mouse, the mx1000 ..... for the wireless keyboard I'll have to bow to others opinions as I haven't used one.

For what I have heard, the Gyration Ultra is the best cordless keyboard around with a range of 10 metres, but it is only available with a keyboard / mouse combo I think.

I've used the MX700 and I found no problem with latency.

I have also used the basic labtec cordless and I found that to be rather more problematic.

If you use a cheap cordless solution then I would say there is a possiblilty of a regualr gamer noticing the lack of accuracy. But if anybody can spot the difference between logitech's top cordless mice (MX700, MX900, MX1000) and the corded ones then they are clearly immortal ;)

http://www6.tomshardware.com/consumer/20041202/index.html

Well, i must be immortal coz i can swear feeling the lagg when playing Counter Strike Source!

When moving with the keyboard and with the mouse (but not as bad) I always end up getting blasted coz i didnt move fast enough!
It MUST be the keyboard as its wireless. I'm using an MX700 keyboard/mouse pack.

I actually ordered a razor 1600dpi mouse and it has been shipped already, as soon as i get it ill give you guys an update of how it handles compared to the MX700.

Ill probably get a new wired keyboard too to go with the new mouse.

I would guess that it's the keyboard, I've been using a MX700 for a couple of years now and not noticed any problems. I might be tempted by the MX1000 now though ;)

Could someone please confirm the range of the MX1000, logitech states 2 metres and the receiver can be out of the line of sight, but i'm always wary of offical figures as Micorsoft state 6 feet for their wireless stuff :rolleyes:

I would pretty much be working on the limits of 2 metres, so I feel bluetooth might be the way I have to go, but I don't believe the MX1000 is available in this format, only the MX900.

Cheers,

Giz.

I've been using the Razer Diamondback mouse for a month or so now. It's a good mouse and replaced my old decrepid Logitech MX 700, which for some strange reason was jumping all over the place (in respect to accuracy) and which annoyingly would suffer from non responsive or sticking mouse buttons (auto firing and wasting an entire clip or just nor firing etc). I couldn't trace the problem at all and put it down to interference or hardware incompatibility as well as age as an old RF Trust mouse suffered from the same problem (reinstalling Windows etc wouldn't cure it).

The Razer DB is a superb mouse and in comparison to my old MX 700, really made a big difference to gaming. The old Logitech one was good when it worked for the first year or so and changing to a corded mouse was with some trepidation, but it's fine as the Razer's cord does not interfere with the mouse's movement at all. It is very sensitive and all buttons can be configured and used in game unlike my old Logitech. The Razer side buttons however are not the best designed for ergonomics and are fiddly to press accuarately in-game - this could have been vastly improved so I have them programmed for non critical functions and actions which are far less used.

I'm using the Zboard also as I switched my old PS2 connected cheapy RF Memorex keyboard, so no doubt that gave a vast improvement to gaming also. The Zboard Crossfire keyset is pretty good though the F-keys are a little too far away for Radio Commands in BF1942. The WASD keys are great though as I could never get used to them on standard keyboard layouts. The surrounding keys by the main WASD controls are very handy and work well. Also, the downloadable keyset updates means games like Counterstrike Source and Battlefield 1942 are playable without further key configuration and are sensibly layed out too.

Having a decent keyboard/Mouse combo really makes a difference.

Gizmo 76 said:
Could someone please confirm the range of the MX1000, logitech states 2 metres and the receiver can be out of the line of sight, but i'm always wary of offical figures as Micorsoft state 6 feet for their wireless stuff :rolleyes:

I would pretty much be working on the limits of 2 metres, so I feel bluetooth might be the way I have to go, but I don't believe the MX1000 is available in this format, only the MX900.

Cheers,

Giz.
Can't give you an exact figure but i've just tested mine about 2 1/2 - 3 meters away (MX1000) and it was still as responsive as it is in my normal usage position.

Hope this helps (The MX900 batteries need recharging almost every night BTW).

Gizmo 76 said:

Cheers,

Giz.

I have just used my mx1000 from over 12ft away and it worked fine;)

Cheers for the replies guys, that is a great news :clap:

I don't suppose any of you could confirm that a their wireless keyboards also operate up to the 2 metre distance ok as well, off topic I know :rolleyes:

I often use my Logitech wireless keyboard and optical mouse about 3 and a half metres away.

Havent received my diamondback yet but i did get logitechs new wired keyboard (Mk100)
Button lay out is much better and since its wired it seems to be more responsive in FPS games. Cant wait for the diamondback!

My Diamond back just arrived! Amazing! :clap:
Its definatley much more responsive and fast.
The mouse (grips) does feel a bit weird at first, but you soon get used to it.
Wires dont get in the way as they are quite thin and light.

All set for the weekend! :D

AML glad you got the razerback. Can you give a mini-review, feedback or just some brief thoughts on it once you have used the mouse for a bit?

Thanks, Val

:thumbsup: Sure thing!

Been using it for Counter Strike Source over the last couple of days and I have to say that im impressed.
My kill ratio has jumped and im actually quite good now! :smashin:

Its very zippy on any application and at first I had to turn down the mouse sensativity and turn off any kind of acceleration. Its simply not necesary.
It does also feel more accurate.
On CSS i turned mouse sensativity down to 2.0 and it STILL moves fast!!!

Phisically speaking. Its smaller than the MX 700 (shorter and lower down) and probably smaller than the MX 1000. Has less buttons (5 alltogether) 1 on each side, 2 mains (left/right click) and the centre button (wheel)

Its very light so moves arround with ease. The cable is quite long, about 2m? and is thin and light. The USB conection is gold plated so it gives it a nice expensive feel.
The mouse stays lit up all the time (untill you switch off the PC) and the wheel show up the most in a drak room.
(doesnt project a beam or anything, its a warm orange glow!)

The software that comes with the mouse is simple yet usefull.
There are several settings for the mouse including button asignments and mouse sensativity. Also scroll speed (wheel) and double click speed.
I recomend downlaoding the latest drivers/software for the mouse from the razor web site.

All in all im impressed.
The cable doesnt get in the way (even though I thought it would). On the negative, I wish it didnt have a cable though, as I feel cableing is ugly. I hope the next model is wireless.

This is probably the best mouse for intesive games like CSS and other FPS games.
If you dont play such games then an MX1000 is probably a better purchase as it has more buttons and is probably better for other apps.

:smashin: back to css to kill me some noobs!

AML said:
This is probably the best mouse for intesive games like CSS and other FPS games.
If you dont play such games then an MX1000 is probably a better purchase as it has more buttons and is probably better for other apps.

:smashin: back to css to kill me some noobs!

Where do you play (ip) as I'd like to give your dimond back a run for it's money with my non-gaming mx1000:p
I'm just off to have a game now if you wish to join me I'll be on one of these servers more than likely:-

[A-LAN] CS:S Public #1 83.245.15.133:27015
[A-LAN] T-OcUK CS:S #1 83.245.15.133:28025
X51 | CS:SOURCE | SERVER #1 82.136.16.64:27025
X51 | CS:SOURCE | SERVER #2 82.136.16.64:27035

see you in the killing fields soon;)

I'm a noob btw (only since source) so treat me gently :blush:

I'm having a problem with sticky keys with my logitech mouse at the moment, and i can be very frustrating in games having the keys stick and not fire. So i thought i would try out the diaomondback but where did u guys get yours from.

Hey there. Go to razers web site and order from there. They ship international to any country. I dont think they sell their mice in shops.
The Diamondback is about $60!.

http://www.razerzone.com/

Ah Thanks a lot mate. I've ordered my diamondback now looking forward to it.

Cheers mate :clap: :clap: :clap:

AML said:
:thumbsup: Sure thing!

Been using it for Counter Strike Source over the last couple of days and I have to say that im impressed.
My kill ratio has jumped and im actually quite good now! :smashin:

I have an mx700 here in the office, I don't use it for gaming.

Used lots of mice ( including boomslangs ) and got about 2,000 - 3,000 hrs of CS gaming under my belt ....
... I doubt you would have noticed any difference if you had been using an mx1000, especially in terms of KD ratio's

Note: I make this comment so that gamers struggling at CS don't go an waste money buying a new mouse simply in the belief that it will improve their performance ;)

I wasnt using an MX 1000, I was using an MX 700. And I personaly saw a vast improvement in accuracy in the game after I got the diamondback. Mainly coz I can now turn the mouse sensativity settings to under 1.0 (in game)
At these low settings your weapon becomes more accurate thus making kills flow with ease.

Im not saying everyone should go out and buy this mouse, but I am saying that in my case it has become easyer to play the game.
Of course personal skill is essential in any game and if you are not good at the game in question to begin with, no matter how good a mouse you buy it wont make much difference. But in my case it has.

Im only trying to give an unbiased reveiw based on my experience. I did also say in my wee review that unless you play FPS games regularly, you might aswell get the MX 1000 as its probably better for other apps since it has more buttons and is also wireless. Somethig the razer mice lack.

AML said:
I wasnt using an MX 1000, I was using an MX 700.

.... hence why I said I used an MX 700 in the office .... not for gaming.
the mx 700 is NOT as good as the MX 1000 or the MX510 corded .... its not a bad mouse though, and suitable for most users, I would say that its only worth going up to the mx1000 if you have the cash and play alot.
( see below and my previous comments .... I think the distinction between the mx700 and the mx1000 needs to be made clear - and not to confuse anyone thinking that they should upgrade for 'free kills' )

AML said:
I did also say in my wee review that unless you play FPS games regularly, you might aswell get the MX 1000 as its probably better for other apps since it has more buttons and is also wireless. Somethig the razer mice lack.

This is the statement I disagree on - as a hard core fps'r I feel that the advantages provided by these mice are negligible over each other in game ... they are both alot better than previous mice, but side by side I don't believe anyone on these forums would notice any in game improvement ( unless they didn't set either of them up right in the first place )
I have used both mice ( as well as your previous one ) ... and played CS for cash and prizes not just for fun ( though fun is all I play for now ... as I can't practice enough to compete at those levels anymore ). Making the assumption that the majority of the threads users are older than teenagers, the slightly lowered hand eye co-ordination that comes with age means that its VERY unlikely you will notice any difference.

I use a Logitech MX510 which I think is fantastic, much better than my previous MS jobbie!

I don't want to argue about this, but I personally have noticed a difference with my new mouse. As I said before, I can lower the sensitivity settings down to 1.0 on CSS, with the older MX 700 I had them up at 2.5
At the new lower settings I can get more accuracy and still have the fast movement I need.

As you said, not many people are hardcore gamers playing for money, but there ARE people who are looking for a good mouse for gaming.

No matter how good the MX 700 may be, it isn't any where near as accurate as the newer mice that are out now such as the MX 1000 and the diamondback.
If you cant notice a difference between these mice, then theres something wrong with you!
Its more than just settings too, the newer mice are designed to be more sensitive.
And they are.

Someone posted a comparison between the MX 1000, 700 and diamondback. The diamondback was the clear winner in terms of performance.
I dont think these numbers lie!

http://www.thecrucible.ca/reviews/dbmx/index.php

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom