1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats the best LCD HDTV?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Xearo, Mar 25, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Xearo

Xearo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    - Must be at least 32" but i would like somthing around the 36" mark
    - Silver is preferable
    - Must have HDTV support
    - Must be really good with games consoles, ie Gamecube and Xbox
    - Must have the right resolutions to run Windows XP Media Center
    (ie if its max res is like 1336x768, and winxp media center can only do 1280x768 or somthing, its gonna look a little weird because its not in the LCD's native res. just like with PC LCD's. Therefore a good windows res on an LCD like 1024x768 or 1280x1024 would be best!)

Thanks for all of this guys and gals, you will be really helping out with all of this!

2. Xearo

Xearo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Xearo

Xearo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone?

4. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    If you want the best thats over 32" you'll have to have deep pockets indeed as its the 45" Sharp that does 1920 x 1080 ? Oh & you better get a DVHS player & about 30 films while youre at it.

Invite me around for the premier will ya, I'll bring my Aliens Tape ?

:thumbsup:

5. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The reason I have delayed responding here is that the answer to your question:

'Which is the Best LCD?'

The answer is the Philips 32 or 37PF9986. The reason for the delay? It won't run at full screen with PC's. It is limited to 1280x768. It works perfectly at this resolution, but leaves two narrow black bands down each side of the screen. Doesn't bother me at all...

Jimmy

6. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Jimmy is right, I would have said a Sharp would be good for games as it's PC connectivity is better, trouble is you will not find one now; unless you wait for the next generation to arrive.

7. Xearo

Xearo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well pease could you then comment on the Relisys panels i have posted above then please? I see from their specs that they seem to be better than those Sharp and panasonic ones, but i need to know about people experiences with them and also if 1336x768 is a good res for windows...

8. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    How do you define better? I guess you are comparing some numbers from specs. That does not tell the whole story, there are other aspects of Phillips, Sharp, Loewe that result in a superior screen. I could find a Korean car with the same spec as a BMW model, but would you say they were the same? At the end of the day price comes in, and you mostly get what you pay for.

9. Xearo

Xearo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well the Relisys are relitively expensive, they make EXCELLENT LCD monitors for PC's and no one has mentioned them here really, therefore i wanna know firstly why and also what people think of them.

Ok not better then smartass, what i mean here is is the res of the 32" model ie 1336x768 a good res for windows media center, or is it a non standard res that will look crap full screen or what!?

10. VurtHed

VurtHed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Relisys RLT3200 discussed here and here (H&B HL-3200B thread) (the Relisys and the H&B may or may not be the same screen - we're trying to find out).
    In the RLT3200 thread (link above) someone is using 1366x768 with 'Windows' - maybe ask in that thread.

11. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Bit of a cheeky sod aren't you Xearo?

What we're trying to tell you is that the Relisys is not as good a TV as the likes of the Philips, Sharp and Loewe. Full stop.

Anybody can churn out a PC monitor in whatever size you want, the difference between the Relisys and these other superior TV's is their abilities in processing and presenting truly superb quality Television pictures.

If all you want is a big PC monitor then I'm sure the Relisys will do an adequate job. Just don't expect too much of it when it comes to normal TV viewing.

And less of the snide comments...

Jimmy

12. jobseeker

jobseeker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I have a Relysis 17" widescreen LCD TV in my bedroom. Cheap(ish) but not much good for any serious viewing at all. Wouldn't even consider them as a main viewing set and wish i hadn't got it for the bedroom either. easily bettered.

13. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Relisys are really just a company that buys 'off the shelf' monitors and TV's and bung their own badge on them.

The monitor I am using right now is an Acer 17" wide screen one which is identical to the Relisys one which is identical to the Hitachi one which is identical......etc.

The story is similar with loads of these kinds of brands..Sonix, Goodmans, Relisys, H & D (or whatever it is), Video7 and on and on...

These units are perfectly OK, but that is all.

Jimmy

14. Xearo

Xearo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Me? Cheeky? Not really nope!, just a friendly bit of humour is all.... :D

15. shaddow2005

shaddow2005
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If the guy is mainly going to be using Windows Media Centre then the quality of the TV picture is mainly down to the quality of the TV card in the PC.

The LCD tv would not be doing any processing at all. I suspect a good quality PC tuner should be on par with the latest LCD built in processing if not better ?

Does anyone know of ANY other LCD 32" - 37" TV that does allow the native resolution when connected to PC ?