What's the best/hottest chillies you've ever had...

SanPedro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After the mention of chilli munching in another thread...

The hottest chillie peppers I ever had were some innocuous looking sorts brought back by my father-in-law from Hungary (the home of paprika).

they were monumentally, mouth blisteringly. b&stardly hot.

Now I like hot food but this stuff was just mental. There were 3 of us trying to be macho and daring to see how many of these we could eat. we all passed on the first one.

For every day munchies there are some Spanish ones I like. Not too hot but nicely pickly and munchy.

Most of the supermarket fresh chillies are limpo wristed affairs. More heat in a glacier. But some of the hot pepper sauces are mind meltingly hot. I've not tried any of the Blairs stuff yet (too scared) :eek:

Anybody any recommendations as to where to get good chillies from?

Scotch Bonnet chillis, definitely the most dangerous food i've ever cooked with, they make for a mental hot meal though.

Look all wrinkly but carry some serious power. Even after washing your hands thoroughly they can still be dodgy :eek:

I get mine from the local Asian grocers shop.

I found a chilli plant while wandering around in Cyprus last year. We picked one that looked good and ready, using my finger nail I scored around the end of the chilli and touched my tounge to it. I could have leapt in the air it was so hot, couldnt taste anything for the rest of the day. 2 days later, after my daily showers and hand washings and swimming i could still taste it on my finger nail!!!!!

Before you say Im just a wimp, I did at one point win a chilli eating contest at college and that was 15 of the local greengrocers 'hot' chillis!

I would love to find one of those again, just to give people who think they are impervious to chillis a shock! Oh and also for practical jokes... yes Im one of those really mean plonkers! :p

Easily obtainable, scotch bonnet. If you hunt around the "world foods" type shops like mattas, you can do better. Decent Chillies should have good flavour as well as heat. The nastiest ones I ever had where in a far eastern curry the old man made for me from an authentic recipe (he spent many years out there). All I can say is those guys are even tougher than they look..............

Me, I was rolling around on the floor clutching my throat unable even to scream! :eek:

Man that was hot! :D

Scotch Bonnet... :eek:

If you leave whole ones in a curry, they can easily pass themselves off as something far less dangerous.. :devil:

I often leave the thin green ones in whole as they look like beans :devil: Makes for a nice surprise!

My favourites are Naga's (a Bangladeshi Habenero), I regulary drive into Birmingham to pick a few up. Very nice! :devil:

Our local Tesco sells Scotch Bonnet chillies but they are so-so.

Have a look here for pictures of different chilli types - http://www.peppersbypost.biz/types.asp

mylo said:
Scotch Bonnet chillis, definitely the most dangerous food i've ever cooked with,

I grow my own. Every February I go shopping and buy a selection of chillis and plant a couple of seeds from each chilli. This year we have Scotch Bonnet again plus half a dozen cayenne plants and some pinocchio's nose.

Unfortunately they all ripen at about the same time so we dry or pickle the majority.

I grew a load in my dad's greenhouse a few years ago and they were very very hot. I froze a lot of them and they are of use in curries and stews when frozen.

Scotch Bonnet chillis can be decent but the quality varies. Waitrose had some which they were calling bomb chillis a short while back which probably rival Scotch Bonnets in heat but I though they had a nicer flavour and were more solid flesh so better if you actually want to 'see' the chilli in the food

Ian J said:
I grow my own. Every February I go shopping and buy a selection of chillis and plant a couple of seeds from each chilli. This year we have Scotch Bonnet again plus half a dozen cayenne plants and some pinocchio's nose.

Unfortunately they all ripen at about the same time so we dry or pickle the majority.

scotch bonnett do tingle a bit, i remember making a soup out of them once great flavour but i may have put one to many in for some people :eek: .
i do want to grow my own so do you have any tips?
oh yeah i recently got some mama africa sauce thats not to bad (gulp gulp) :eek:

If you want to be really foolish, like me, cut the stalks of the scotch bonnets and just chuck them in the liquidiser with a tin of tomatos to make the base of your sauce. The cores can normally just be picked out during cooking. Makes for a really hot chilli con carne.

alscds said:
i do want to grow my own so do you have any tips?

It's very simple as all you have to do is soak the seeds for a couple of days and then plant them somewhere reasonably warm in early March potting them on and putting them outside when all danger of frost has passed.

The plants should crop in Autumn but won't last outside in the Winter so I bring in one or two and overwinter them in the conservatory to give them a flying start in the following Spring but chuck the rest away and start again the following year from seed

Scotch Bonnet/Habenaro's ARE the hottest I've tried ,bet my mate £50 he would bite and swallow a Scotch Bonnet I won and he really regretted it the next day !!
I buy a load of birds eye/scotch bonnets and cook them really slowly in the oven till they're dry and then keep them in my fridge.The birds eye dry out quite quickly in the fridge anyway but found the SB rotted so the roasting really helped also added to the taste,perfect for those hot curries.

Rob Dear said:
The birds eye dry out quite quickly in the fridge anyway but found the SB rotted.

Pickle them as they will keep for months that way and the pickling vinegar just adds to the taste of the curry.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom