1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats the best.....honestly!

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by buns, Jun 3, 2002.

1. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Its summer time now.....and despite not being much of a gamer....im tempted to get something to wile away boring hours! Plus.....the US looms for a lovely sunny holiday in about 2 weeks!

So which console is best? X-box or game cube? Or........do i just get a top graphics card and do pc games?

thanks

ad

2. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Impossible to answer, your question is. :)

Pricewise, you can pick up a Gamecube in the States for less the £100 now. You can't go far wrong with that, especially seeing as there are some amazing games coming out over the next few months. It's also amall enough to get it through customs without having to declare it. The XBOX on the other hand would need a trolley entirely for itself. :D

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So gamecube is dirt cheap and some good games.......so why on earth would you want an xbox!?

ad

4. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    In a word.......Halo. :D

Absolutely awesome game with many potentially great titles on the horizon. I stress POTENTIALLY great titles because they might turn out to be not so great.

On the Gamecube however, titles such as Mario, Zelda, Starfox, Metroid and the other big franchises will definately be great. (Don't blame me if they're not though :p ).

At the end of the day, you might end up owning both an XBOX and a Gamecube but considering the price point, and the fact that you're going to America, I would get the Gamecube first.

5. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hehe, while you'll be relaxing in the US, I'll be working like a slave >_< Anyways to answer your question.... It depends on the games you like to play. Here is how I would generally break down the market. I'll just name some games that I think are the best in its genre FOR the platform (This is my opinion so don't flame me like hell please ^_^)

PS2 - Market leader, has plenty of support from 3rd parties like Sega, Capcom, Konami, and EA... Has some exclusive titles like GTA and Devil May Cry. Its first party developers isn't as large in size, nor does it have many exclusive developed titles like Mario, Zelda, etc but the games released by Sony have been high in quality (Gran Turismo). Is aimed at the teen market but has games for all ages.

Best Genres

Driving - Gran Turismo 3 is the only racer you'll need. Colin Mcrae 3 is on its way too.
    Fighters - Capcom Vs SNK2, Virtua Fighter 4, Tekken 4 just to name 3.
    RPGs - Final Fantasy X, Star Ocean III, XenoSaga, Final Fantasy XI, EverQuest Online and Suikoden III just to name a few. All of these RPGs listed are turn based BTW. Could add Harvest Moon, purely because it'll suck away hours, days and weeks away from your life without you even knowing ^_^
    Action/Platformer - GTA3, Devil May Cry, Metal Gear Solid 2, Jak and Daxter, MGS2 : Substance
    Light gun - Time Crisis II
    FPS - Medal of Honor, Red Faction, Max Payne, timesplitters II
    Puzzle - Bust a Move
    Sports - Pro Evolution Soccer, ISS 2, Tony Hawks 3, NBA 2k2, SSX Tricky, <insert EA title>

As you can see from this small list there are a good few key titles in the main genres. Of course there are many other titles that you can add to these genres which shows that it has an awful lot of support.

==========================================

GameCube - Has improved relations with 3rd parties and so has increased support from the likes of Konami, Capcom, Sega etc. Fast loading times thanks to compact design and has a huge list of exclusive franchises like Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Pokémon and Kirby just to name a few. Also has the next 5 or so Resident Evil games exclusive to the Gamecube. Strong second parties like RARE, Retro Studios (Metroid), Camelot (Golden Sun, Mario Tennis) and Factor 5 (Rogue Leader) complement the first parties.

Nintendo are willing to take a risk at establishing a new genre (Pikmin and Animal Crossing springs to mind) wheras some developers like to play it safe. Aimed at the general public due to low cost but can be seen as a "kiddy" console.

Best genres

Platforming - Mario Sunshine.. Thats all you need really. Fine, add Rayman 3 and Sonic Adventure 2 and 3*
    Driving - Colin Mcrae 3, F-Zero, Mario Kart, Wave Race
    Sports - Tony Hawk 3, ISS 2, Sega's Soccer Slam, NBA Courtside II, Mario Tennis, Mario Golf, <insert EA title>
    Puzzle/Party - ZooCube, Tetris, Super Monkey Ball, Mario Party
    RPG - Zelda, Tales of Phantasia II, Harvest Moon IV, Golden Sun, Phantasy Star Online II, Lost Kingdoms, Star Fox Adventures
    Fighters - Smash Bros Melee, Capcom Vs SNK 2 : EO, Soul Calibur II
    Unique - Animal Crossing, Doshin the Giant, Pikmin, Animal Forest +, Kirby's Tilt and Roll (name has changed but I can't remember it)
    FPS[/B] - Metroid Prime, new 007 Bond game, Perfect Dark Zero, timesplitters II
    Action - Resident Evil : Remake, Resi 2, 3 + 4. Resi Zero, Eternal Darkness, Rogue Leader II

Almost all of these titles will be out by the end of the year. Sonic Ad 3 is the lastest rumour going around.. It'll either be on the GC or Xbox.

The Gamecube doesn't has as much support as the PS2, but because Nintendo has such a large first and second party it doesn't matter too much. You will be looking at fewer titles released than the PS2 because Nintendo has a quality control system of which all games have to pass. IMO Nintendo will get 2nd place and establish itself in the niché market of unique and fun titles not found on any other platform.

Xbox - newbie to the scene and has the better console in terms of specs. But again this is a console and not a PC so its the games that count. MS have deep pockets so they have bought many companies to form a dedicated first party as well as to make some games exclusive to the Xbox. Aimed at the teens but has some titles aimed at the younger gamer.

Best Genres

Racing - Project Gotham Racing, Crazy Taxi 3
    Fighters[/B] - DoA 3, Soul Calibur II
    Platformers - Blinx, Toejam and Earl III
    FPS - Halo, Doom III*, Medal of Honor, Max Payne, Timesplitters II
    Sports - any EA title
    RPG - ShenMue II, Project Ego
    Action - Genma Onimusha, Ninja Gaiden, Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance, Jet Set Radio: Future

IMO the Xbox has the weakest gaming lineup in terms of quality. Even though Halo stands out, the rest don't. Sales in Europe and in Japan have been very low but have picked up slighty since the price drop. The list is small because I was pushing it in terms of quality (the platformers are still beta and Gotham Racing isn't good at all...). Other 3rd party titles like Tony Hawks, etc are noth worth mentioning since they will appear on all formats.

Conclusion : I've got far too much free time >_<

Seriously though, I would recommend owning both the PS2 and Gamecube. The price is stupidly low for a Gamecube that I could by one every week if I wanted to. Plus you have many exclusive titles, unlike the Xbox as it stands right now. With the PS2 you will get almost all the 3rd party titles first and support from SquareSoft, Enix and the main titles from Konami. With the GC you have the exclusives, resident evil and the promise of fresh titles, especially when they link up with the GBA. The Xbox has potential alright but looking at the "coming soon" list I can't see too many key titles that will make you own it, since 80% of the games you will see on the PS2 or Gamecube as well.

Anyways this is far too long and I need some sleep. Laters all.

6. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks you!

By the sounds of it........xbox is a gamble......both the other 2 are garanteed fun, ps2 being a bit more grown up and diverse to the gc's fun and kiddy kind of ideal.

I always was a nintendo man......so i suppose the cheap gamecube is a good start. At £100 its hard to go wrong i guess!. What are game prices?

Did i see various bits about US gc doing prog scan? What all accessories am I looking to need? Going to a projector.......maybe the tv too......i presume a transformer is simple to get hold of?

No one seems to like the pc based idea.......why is that?

ad

7. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking back at my post it does look like I gave the Xbox a hard time. Trouble is though I was struggling to mention the Triple A/Key titles that will sell the console. Plus if you look at the list for up and coming games up to Sept, there isn't anything that stands out like Halo as a must have.

If you are a Nintendo man then this year will be the best yet. Mario Sunshine will be out in Aug (US), Star Fox Adventures, Eternal Darkness and Metroid will be out by this year as well. Zelda should be out in Feb 2003 and of course Resident Evil: Remake is already out along with Wave Race, Super Monkey Ball and Rogue Leader.

Game prices differ from website to website... I usually order some games from www.dvdboxoffice.com. They're located in Canada and have cheap GC/PS2/Xbox games due to the currency. Plus they stock loads of animé DVDs ^_^ Free shipping too but they can take their time... You can of course pay for shipping.

Other places like lik-sang are more expensive - £45 a pop NOT including shipping... But you will get them on time. I haven't tried any other online gaming shops... Maybe someone could fill us in with a reputable site?

The Japanese and US Gamecubes can do prog. scan, you just have to hold down the B button during the boot up. There is a way to make the Gamecube remember to output in prog. scan as well, it was either holding Up/Down and B. Can't confirm this because I haven't got a prog scan compatible TV. Yet.

As for the stuff needed for prog.scan... Just a component or DVI cable. DVI is more used in Japan but you can get a DVI -> VGA adapter so you can use it with a monitor I believe. If you're going to use your projector then get a component cable. I've only seen it available from lik-sang for £25.

The PC idea isn't mentioned much because gamers often like to use a large screen and have it all in 5.1. Of course a PC soundcard would do the job as well. Plus I forgot to mention the PC in my original post >_< It was late and I wanted to watch the footie. Anyway heres my opinion...

PC - Technology dependant and obviously more expensive than any console. Offers better quality graphics due to the resolution and hardware upgrades but often limited in gaming genres. Has backing by the big PC firms of course like id, Valve, etc but not too much support from the main japanese developers. Online gameplay is there, just like the Xbox but there are very few offline multiplayer games due to the PC's nature. Aimed at the older demographic and ones of a very young age. Tweenies anyone?

Best Genres

FPS - Half Life, Quake III, Unreal Tournament, Unreal II, Doom III, Medal of Honor, Deus Ex
    Driving - Colin Mcrae II, Grand Prix Legends, Grand Prix III, TOCA II, Nascar 4
    RPGs - Diablo II, Ultima Online, Everquest, Final Fantasy X, Baldurs Gate II.. I know I'll get flamed for this list but I can't remember any more titles right now...
    RTS - C&C: Red Alert, Age of Empires, Civ III
    Sims - The Sims, F22 Raptor, Flight Sims, Train sims (!)
    Action Adventure/Platform[/B] - Any Monkey Island game, Tomb Raider, Rayman 3, MechWarrior IV
    Emulators ^_^ - Spectrum, NES, SNES, Genesis, PSX, N64, MAME, Neo Geo.. Pretty much any console bar the Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox can be emulated**

Easily the PC has the strongest FPS around. Its probably the PCs most populated genre next to RPGs, RTS and simulators. Clearly the lineup is aimed at the older gamer and have considerable depth of gameplay. Plus many games can be patched and upgraded via "mods" to extend gameplay further. Level editors and the like are commonplace.

Emulators help because you have a wealth of quality games on the SNES, Genesis, N64, arcades etc. Plus its often the only way you can play Japanese only games that have been translated by fans and games that have never been released in the UK or US.

PC games are getting more complex so unless you have an uber PC rig then you might struggle. IMO PC gaming complements console gaming well since you have the best of all worlds.

8. ashearer

ashearer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am lucky enough to have both the GC and XBOX (if only I had the time to go with them) and I have to defend the XBOX. I keep reading that the GC is going to have all these great games (Mario, Zelda, Perfect Dark 0 etc) but the fact is, the only game I have played for any length of time so far is Super Monkey Ball.

The XBOX has kept me far busier with Halo, JSRF, Amped, Rallisport, Championship Manager, Max Payne and Tony Hawks.

You can't write off 3rd party titles as in my experience, they are better on XBOX than GC or PS2.

Also, having DD 5.1 out of the box is a big plus as far as I am concerned.

Don't get me wrong, the GC is a bargain at the price and will have good games but don't write off the XBOX.

9. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own a Gamecube and a PS2 out of the next gen consoles and I'm rather happy with the balance of games. On one hand I'll have unique and fun titles and on the other I have the massive 3rd party support along with more unique content.

We all have our own tastes in gaming.. The fact that you listed Amped shows that... Also Tony Hawks can be found on all next gen consoles along with Championship manager. The reasion why I mainly ommited 3rd party support from all formats is because they won't be exclusive to the format, so theres no reason to duplicate data.

As for pure 3rd party support the PS2 easily has it over the Gamecube and Xbox. Many 3rd party titles will come out on the PS2 first and then the Xbox and Gamecube. Many of the ports as well are identical in gameplay and all consoles are powerful enough to run games at a locked 30 or 60 frames a second.

If you look at the recent E3 show you can see where most of the attention was at - Original first party titles, mainly on the PS2 and Gamecube. The Xbox lineup didn't wow too many gamers other than Sega fans of ShenMue II and the news of Ninja Gaiden, Blinx and Project Ego... All 3rd party titles. Hell, even the future of ShenMue isn't certain to be on the Xbox just yet.

Dolby Digital is pretty sweet to have. The PS2 can't decode it in real time but can pass the signals for a receiver to do so. Same for the Gamecube but it can only do Pro Logic II... The only game I've tested Pro Logic II with is Rogue Squadron and it works very well with no lag what-so-ever.

IMO the Xbox will come into its own in the 2nd phase of the battle but it won't be enough to pass the PS2, only enough to fight Nintendo for 2nd place. Also IMO the Xbox needs more quality games. How many unique titles on the Xbox are there that can sell the console by itself? Halo is one of them, try naming another 6.

I'm not bashing the Xbox but consoles are all about videogames and to me, it doesn't have anything that I can't get from a PC, PS2 or a Gamecube. Just my two cents.

10. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    Halo won't be exclusive for long, as it is coming to the PC shortly, and I will guess that it really won't stand up to PC FPS competition, what with Unreal 2, Battlefield 1942, Counterstrike:Condition Zero, Doom 3 to offer FPS thrills.

Like in the other thread about the X-Box going under, I got told off for bringing PC gaming into the equation, but it is a factor to bear in mind. In my mind the X-Box does not look as if it will do well, I have a friend who develops games for it, and all his work does is play Counterstrike and when he gets home he plays GameCube, no one there is that impressed with the X-Box.

On what to buy it depends on your budget and the games you like. PC gaming is expensive, my current rig runs at about £1500 (when it is not blowing up, currently recovering from a PSU blowout, which took out Processor, Motherboard, Memory and my HD!!!). Plus I spend £25 a month to run a cable modem, but for me it is worth it, I enjoy gettin home from work and shooting my fellow human beings on counterstrike (something which NO single player FPS game can match). You would be looking at spending about 700-800 quid to get a nice system, then to be honest, I would plan to spend about 100-200 a year just in upgrade fees. To balance this you can download a lot of stuff for free and also the PC can be very useful for practical matters, such as writing your CV :). Still, for near to a grand will buy you a GC, all peripherals and keep you supplied in games for the year.

As far as the PS2 goes, I would look at buying a 2nd hand one, with a few games, this should not be too expensive.

If you are interested in PC gaming and have a PC, post the spec and we can advise on upgrades, at the least you may be able to get an inexpensive PC to complement your consoles, worth it for the emulator value alone!!!

11. ashearer

ashearer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think all of the points made so far are valid - I was just trying to make a point about the XBOX from a personal point of view as someone who has a PS2, GC and XBOX. I don't play PC games so I can't comment on them. At the moment, I estimate my usage of my three next-gen consoles is about the following:

XBOX - 50% (Halo, NHL2002, THPS3 and CM at the mo)
    PS2 - 40% (PES and Ico)
    GC - 10% (SMB)

Having said that, no regrets about buying the GC. My favourite games are Zelda and Perfect Dark and I can't wait for the GC versions of those but at the moment.....

One of the things I like about the XBOX is that it allows me to play some of the PC games that I really like - Championship Manager and Max Payne for example. I am the first to admit they aren't as good as the PC versions but good enough for me.

12. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    That point is pretty key, and is one that I also made in the other thread. The X-Box will have the most PC ports, so if you enjoy PC games but don't have one, then the X-Box is most likely worth considering.

13. chris thomas

chris thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The best is whichever you think m8 depending on which suits you,
    powerfull, x-box,
    userbase, ps2,
    top games,gamecube
    to be honest all three are very good and ps2 and x-box with the dvd playback, but it all comes down to which games you prefer, my answer would be in the picture i,ve attached,
    all the best buns and happy gaming m8, ;)

Attached Files:

14. ashearer

ashearer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What is your N64 sat on top of? And wheres the Dreamcast? ;)

15. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It's one of those Personal backup devices, for Personal use, in case your Original cartridge games get damaged....;) ;) ;)

16. nsouthga

nsouthga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahhh, this old chestnut.. I remember similar debates back in the days Spectrum vs Commodore 64...

There is no one right answer for everyone, I have all three and before you buy any console I think you should consider:

+ Your budget

+ The type of games you like to play now and in the future

+ Longevity of the platform

My opinion on each:

GC

Postive:

Cheapest, Biggest Bang for your buck, great nintendo playability and quality (generall speaking), Doesn't take up much room, Really comfy controller

Negative:

No DVD playback, perception of "kiddie only" (actually this isn't as true as it used to be, look at resi evil and super metroid etc) No 5.1 (although you do have PL 2)

PS2

Positive:

Huge range of games, free DVD thrown in, Great controller, lots of 3rd party support

Negative:

Older technology so not as advanced as GC or Xbox therefore longevity not as strong. Looks pricey now in comparision to GC

XBOX

Positive:

Technically the most advanced console available, high end NVida GPU and 5.1 support, HDTV support, A few very strong titles (HALO, JSRF etc), Online gaming built in from scratch

Negative:

DVD extra £, Needs lots of room..

Overall I'd say Microsoft are playing catch up and the initial sales figures aren't what they'd like them to be. However, don't underestimate the power of Microsoft to market Xbox agressivly. I remember when Lotus 123 was the dominate spreadsheet and Harvard Graphics was the leader in presentation graphics!

I think it will be really interesting to see what happens next. The 2 new entrants have launched with some strong games and it's a question of keeping the quality high. Sony have slipped up over the last few months with few quality games for the PS2 whilst the other players have launched.

In summary, if budget is an issue buy a GC, if you want lots of good games now and arn't too bothered about long term future buy a PS2.

If you want the most advanced console with greatest technial potential which may or may not be realised buy an Xbox.

Alternativly buy all 3 and get the best of all worlds!

17. chris thomas

chris thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its a dr v64, every 64 game made on about 10 cd,s, quite cost effective i think, dreamcast downstairs m8,;)

18. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Cost effective my arse it is called piracy so do not advertise it or try to make out you are clever.

I used to own one and I know exactly what it is.

19. chris thomas

chris thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shirty ,arnt we fuzzy,
    and i daint say i had all the games !
    must say your a clever man though for knowing wot it is,
    and how come you had 1 then ? dont tell me it was to back up your handfull of games,
    And i wernt talking to you anyway so f****n keep ya nose out, :p

20. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    I had one about 4 years ago because I thought I was clever getting every game released but quickly realised I was doing wrong.
    Anyway saving some of the gamesaves on the ds1 or whatever it was called was a pain in the arse.
    If you print anything on here I will read it and respond if I want to.

What ever you do is your business but please do not make out piracy is a good thing.

21. chris thomas

chris thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, okay, made ya point allthough think you,d find most would disagree with ya,
    all the best, jolly rodger ;)

22. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Fair enough mate I did not mean to come across as shirty as I am considering getting my Xbox chipped I can't rearly say anything

Happy doctor v64 gaming

23. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Heh I'm not a fan of piracy either, but you can't deny that it exists and indeed it helped establish the PSX brand. I would love it if the modchip peeps only made chips compatible with original import games and not backups - It would help get rid of piracy and avoid all the legal issues. But then again some other company would make a backup chip and we're back to square one.

Thus far only the Gamecube is somewhat pirate free thanks to its medium and built in piracy code on every disk. However the Panasonic Q isn't free from this since it can read DVD-Rs...

Anyway I for one only support original games on all formats and will continue to do so as long as I'm a gamer. If one wants to pirate games then its up to them.

24. spikeyboyo

spikeyboyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just thought id throw my tuppence into this thread.

Having been a avid PC gamer for god know how long (run out of fingers and thumbs :) ) i basically came to the point of thinking every year im throwing money at my PC to upgrade just to be able to play the newer games (upgrades of £400+ a pop - new MB, CPU, Grphx Card, Memory). Now whilst i was enjoying my PC games i coulnt help notice friends with consols paying alot less for there consoles and having them last alot longer.

I would add here that i also used to own consoles - Nintendo and Snes - was going to get a N64 but though na ill stick with my PC now (playing online etc).

Anyways a month or so ago i thought right time to get back into the console games - PS2 wasint even in contention due to price and age of the machine - GC being cheaper and Xbox just reduced in price.

So the question was which to go for - i umm and ahhh'd and in the end made up my mind to get the Xbox - the reason being that i just remeber that the Nintendo games were all warm and cuddly ad more akine to kiddies games (as already mentioned)

The Xbox in my opinion has the biggest potential out of all the consoles to date - for the reasons: No need for memory cards (equivelent storage on PS2 would cost £30,000 in memoery cards), the ability to put your own sound tracks into your games, built in online device (already playing Halo online - PC still has it use :) ), built in DD 5.1 in games, the big one that everyne seems to miss is that when Xbox 2 comes out it will still be able to play all the old games (ok PS2 already does this - Nintendo never have), DvD player - and the games available are the type of games i like - also the Third party games are the best on the Xbox (in my opinion and friends i have that have a PS2 - mates who have ISS2 on PS2 prefer to come round mine to play rather than playing on the PS2 - their comments - its like a whole new game!!!!!!)

Made me wonder why (cant remeber name) the guy who made the rather long and informative post about all consoles omitted the 3rd Party developers (ISS2, Tony Hawks etc) on the Xbox but included them on both the CG and PS2 - made the games lists look small on the Xbox but alot larger on the CG and PS2 !!!!

Just thought id add - this isnt likely to happen in the near or distant future according to a recent interview with Bungie - there to busy working on other projects.

Spike

25. spikeyboyo

spikeyboyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Opps forgot to mention the ability to play retro games Via Mame on the xbox - no doubt it wont be long before PS1, N64 etc emulators are available - after all the Xbox is just a PC

Spike

26. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    You are most likely correct on the HALO front, I would guess that MS would prefer to keep it on the X-Box.

Unfortunately, I am still addicted to paying through the nose for my PC upgrades, 3d Mark starts to rule your life after a while :p

27. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spikeyboyo, yeah it was me with the rather long post. To clear it all up, I wrote that msg at around 4am and just wanted to go to bed ready for the footie. Right now I'm writing this at 5:30pm so it should be a lot clearer (in theory!).

I didn't know ISS2 was out on the Xbox... Must have overlooked it. Pity that the ISS games are more arcade like (yet stilll fun) than the Pro Evolution series, since IMO Pro Evolution has much more to offer. PLus ISS2 is all rather rushed... Its best to compare the Sega or EA products because they do like to optimise the games. Theres no doubt that the Xbox has more polygon horsepower though.

Certainly the Xbox has great potential but I think its all rather premature to talk about the Xbox 2 and backwards compatibility... Since nothing has been announced yet, only rumours. Plus the damn console hasn't even been out for a year, and when people talk about the Xbox 2 already, it would often worry people - that the current console isn't good enough so the follow up must be produced.

And to my 3rd party list.. Yeah I've added EA sports, THPS3/4 to the Gamecube and PS2 list.. But Tekken 4 won't be on the Xbox, nor will Final Fantasy X, Star Ocean III, XenoSaga, Everquest, Harvest Moon, GTA3, Devil May Cry, Jak and Daxter, Time Crisis II, NBA Courtside II, Tales of Phantasia, Golden Sun and Residen Evil just to name the 3rd Party games I listed. Thats why I listed them on their respective platforms simply because you won't see them on the Xbox.

Certainly the Xbox has good points like online gameplay without additional hardware and HDD but not all games make great use of the HDD just yet. Microsoft wants the HDD to be used as a scratch disk to limit loading times, not as a place to store loads of patches. Project Gotham doesn't use the HDD that well since you still have to wait for the cars to load on the selection screen, for example.

The ability to add your own music to games is a good gimmick as well, how many Xbox owners have done so in their games so far? After all I thought that videogames were all about gameplay... (Mind you I know gamers that have bought games purely because of their music).

Emulation on the Xbox should be pretty sweet once its developed enough. I know of DivX players and that out so far, so it shouldnt' be long to see SNES, Genesis, N64, PSX and MAME emus on the format.

28. john87

john87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ability to burn music to the hard drive and play it during games. Just to let you know some people do use it ;)

29. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It's a nice feature but I've never once used it. If I want to listen to other music while playing a game, I find it much quicker and easier to simply stick my Hi-Fi on. Much better sound too.

30. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My point exactly Groundy, plus if users had to put in their own music in a game to make it more enjoyable then surely the original musicians are not doing their job properly...

I'm pretty sure a good few owners have used the feature, as to what extent I don't know... To me the feature doesn't warrant buying the console for.