1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the best head unit for an IPOD?

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by Jasontart, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Jasontart

Jasontart
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have wanted to update my boring standard Mercedes head unit for something better for a long time. I have a 30 gb IPOD with over 250 albums and a lot of playlists and wanted to integrate it into my ICE as I spend a lot of time in the car.

Was convinced to have a Kenwood KDCW6531 installed with IPOD adapter by my local dealer but it was pants and have just had them take it back out. I couldn't see iPOD menus, couldn't select playlists unless I knew which number they were?!?!? and they didn't have the interface to keep the steering controls working.

So this is what I want...does it exist?
    I want to be able to plug my IPOD into the glove compartment, out of sight (too much other stuff on dashboard!)
    I want full control of the iPoD from the head unit
    I want to be able to view, search for tracks in playlists on the headunit (with track names/folder names/playlist names displayed on head unit)
    I want to be able to use the remote stereo controls on the steering wheel of a Mercedes CLK (fibre optic cabling causes difficulty apparently?!?) to control the unit.
    Finally I'd like someone to install it in the South London area...Croydon to Crawley...

Can anyone help or am I asking the impossible?

2. jtf

jtf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    i think your best bet is going to be alpine in terms of searching songs/playlists etc. not sure if you can get an adapter for the stalk controls. i find the best option would be your preference of hu with an aux input then buy a connector like the belkin auto adapter or SiK imp. the only problem with this is that you will need the ipod in you sight as you will obviously need to use it to select tracks but if you go for this route you will still have the the excellent ipod interface instead of an aftermarket interface as found if you were to use alpine, pioneer etc

3. Curry Monster

Curry Monster
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +258
    I have my ipod 20gb connected to my pioneer avh-5700dvd via the pioneer ipod adaptor. Its a 7"touch screen and this works with the ipod brilliantly. You can see everything and you just 'touch' the track you require

the radio/dvd/screen is expensive (£1000 rrp or £550 of the net!) but its well worth it plus you can watch dvds etc!!!

4. jtf

jtf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    the 5700dvd does work brilliantly with the ipod . the reason for this is that pioneer designed it with the ipod in mind where all the other headunits were designed before the ipod interface. this is why people love the 5700dvd-ipod combo yet swear about headunit-ipod combo

5. applevenus

applevenus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this is interesting. I didn't buy a Pioneer iPod interface but went for a Aux-In adapter.

So, the problems people have experienced with the Pioneer iPod adapter (very slow etc) are caused by the head unit and not the adapter ?

I've just ordered a DEH-P70BT and wonder if the iPod interface works well with it ?

6. jtf

jtf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    the ipod interface will work on the 70bt as it would on every other pioneer headunit. you will be better of sticking with the aux in. the headunits are part of the problem as they have never really been designed to handle all of the data etc that the ipod gives it plus there is only so much info that can be passed through the dock connector. i think its going to be some time before we will se a headunit that will work with an ipod perfectly

7. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +384
    I have a Kenwood KDC-PSW9527 (last year's top of the range CD player) with the optional iPod interface. Sound quality is excellent, and on the whole I'm very happy with it. The only problem is how slowly it switches between albums / artists / genres / playlists. I have 200 artists on it, and navigating to a particular artist is largely impossible - switching from one to the next takes around 2 seconds, and you can't skip to the one after until this delay has finished. (Skipping tracks within an album / artist etc is fine.)

I don't know if this lag (which is the only real problem with the Kenwood solution) is inherent in the iPod dock connector interface - I suspect it may be, as I have read similar complaints about the Alpine interface. I'd be interested to know if the Pioneer solution is better in this respect.

8. Curry Monster

Curry Monster
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +258
    My pioneer 5700dvd is instant.you touch the screen and the menus change instantly. The sound quality is also excellent.

With the ipod adaptor my dvd/screen/radio cost me £650 which sounds alot but it also does alot(keeps my 1year old daughter happy with teletubbies etc...!when on a trip)

Not sure how the other radios handle the ipod but this seems to be the BEST!

9. Jasontart

Jasontart
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the feedback...Baldy bouncer - How many tracks/albums are on your IPOD, I was concerned one of the problems was that I've got 3500+tracks and 20+ playlists. I was concerned it might just be the memory struggling to keep up.

10. Curry Monster

Curry Monster
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +258
    Not sure how many tracks etc. But I do have a 20gig ipod photo and its nearly full. Never had any problems with any of the system. Sometimes it can take a while to trawl through all the albums but thats not the systems fault!!

11. jtf

jtf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    i've just found out that the pioneer deh-p70bt has a simliar interface as found on the 5700dvd so it will show full artist/album/song info not the 8 characters max as found on all the other pioneer units

12. applevenus

applevenus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that update JTF

Anyone out there with the DEH-P70BT and iPod adapter combination ? is it as slow as with other Pioneer head units ?

I have a suspicion that on newer head units (like the P70BT) the iPod interface works much better than older head units. Don't want to have to buy and adapter though to find out that it's not the case.

13. miniman

miniman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have the DEH-P70BT with the cb100 adapter. I bought it about 6 weeks ago. Its not bad but not perfect either, it dispalys track names, artists and album but only one at a time. My main concern is the fact that you have a large jog(scroll)wheel but have to use it like a joy stick and move up,down,left and right instead of selecting browse artist,album etc and the rotating the knob and scrolling down list. I think pioneer screwed up there. The bluetooth feature is also not perfect as you can here people perfect but they often get an echo, get an echo(sorry couldn't resist). Overall i'm happy but this product could have been better, but is leaps and bounds ahead of my old fm transmitter and is a lot better than my nieces DEH-P80MP which doesn't display any text. I hope this helps. Mark

14. applevenus

applevenus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for that - appreciate the information

so, while playing tracks from the iPod can you browse ? or does playback pause when you browse ? Right now with my iTrip I usually start an album or podcast playing before I start driving and just leave it alone - I can multitask at my desk but not when I'm driving.

would you describe browsing as really really slow ? or reasonably similar to browsing directly on the iPod

I think I'll double check the quality of the bluetooth with my 'phone before removing my nokia car kit. I don't make or receive that many calls when I'm in the car so it might not be such a big deal for me.

15. miniman

miniman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have a 40GB I pod and browsing the tracks is a pain in the ar*@, so I have started to use more playlists because it is easier. The only reason it is slow to browse is because you can only skip one album, artist, track or genre at a time by pushing down or up on the scroll wheel, you can't just keep the button depressed and skip through lots you have to release the button and then depress again.

16. Reano

Reano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I have the Kenwood 7025 DVD/CD and everything else player with Ipod interface and I've also had an alpine head unit. I have an Ipod 60g photo completely full with about 9500+ tracks!! The Kenwood works fine as I can just touch the screen and hold down the forward or disc (for artist, album, etc change) and it changes at this speed (count fast) 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 :) Basically less than a second per artist. Of course there are some limits as not all the artists name are displayed sometimes depending on what format (genre, artist, playlist, etc) I'm in it will count in numbers so if I'm in blues but want jazz I would hold and see it change from say genre 10 to genre 35 in say 7 secs then I would stop and see if that is Jazz when my finger is off. Now the Alpine allows you to see what track,artist, genre as you scroll but you use a dial so you end up moving the dial 'like volume dial' round and round and if you have maybe a few thousand tracks it can become a pain all in all the alpine wins on visibility of what you see but kenwood just as good in my opnion the Alpine unit I had was 9851 or something like that but one thing I have consistently noticed is Alpine has the best sound out the box of all the head units I've owned (Kenwood, Pioneer, Sony, blaukpunkt (car manufacturer) and Alpine). But I tend to amp my speakers, etc so the differences becomes less obvious.