1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats the best format for 'Hifi' quality music

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by smiffy333, Oct 30, 2005.

1. smiffy333

smiffy333

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I'm just about to rip my cd collection to the PC which I will then be able to play through my Pioner amp usb connection.
    Reading through the threads there seems to be lots of opinions on what the best format is to use, ideally for me quality is preferable to size as I've got plenty of disk space.
    I was thinking of wav or wma lossless would give the best results?!
    Anyone replys gratefully recieved.
    :lease:

2. Castar

Castar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well if you have enough space, you can use the WAV format. it's an exact copy of the track. still it's about 700MB per cd.

next best choice is probably wma lossless at 400MB per cd

if you want to go less on file size, maybe 320kbps VBR mp3 or Atra3plus 320Kbps at about 183MBs per cd for both.

Advantage of mp3: the most general lossy format can play (almost) anywhere. use the Lame encoder if possible. Also, gapless might be achievable with certain mp3 players

Advantage of Atrac3plus: gapless but only playable with sony products and sonicstage.

hope this helps

3. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,239
  4. Castar

Castar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah, Vorbis is actually a very good choice. people say it's an excellent format and also gapless. if you want to only playback on a computer it's great. but not many portable players support it. my old Samsung YH-920GS did but it's the exception and not the rule unfortunately. no DRM...

5. Beethovenian

Beethovenian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go with WMA Lossless. Even though there could be an argument for Flac, chances are you'll have more commercial support for WMA Lossless. And since it's a lossless format, it will sound exactly as a CD.

6. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What controlling software are you planning on using? Will you ever consider a DAP?

The format you choose should depend on your answers to those questions, saving you the possibility of having to reformat later.

7. smiffy333

smiffy333

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Thanks for the reply's been off line for a few days so a bit late in replying.
    Had virtually decided to go with the wma lossless route but have just checked the Sonos site which I'm hoping to buy next year, which states it doesn't support wma lossless - DOH!
    All I really want is to copy the CD's at as good a quality as possible (wav or one of the lossless formats) but with the convience of windows media player (ie track naming and album art), had a look at EAC which doesn't do the album art as far as I can see.

8. chemicalbrother

chemicalbrother

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have you ever considered flac? it is a losless format which works with windows media player

9. Rob_J

Rob_J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    get an iriver h300 series, im getting the h340 it playes ogg vorbis.

10. fathazza

fathazza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    flac is very good, second to that id go for ogg as it is more compatible with portable players. Tho my iaudio x5l actually plays flac, but i dont use it on it anyway because of the large file sizes

one good idea to do, is to encode all your cds into flac or another lossless format on your main pc, and then you have a very good quality "master copy" type thing. from which you can transcode to ogg or mp3 for use on your portable without having to get your cds out or retag them...