1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats the best floowing for my room

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by kopite, Jun 12, 2003.

1. kopite

kopite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Right I`m about to redecorate my room and I want to know what will be the best flooring to use in terms of accoustic performance.

My set up isnt brilliant at the moment The speakers I`m using are eltac 350 floordtanders but i`ll be upgrading to some book shelf speakers sooner or later.

Now I was thinking Of laminate flooring but i`m not sure.

any ideas?

2. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,670
    Carpet I would say, otherwise you'll get a lot of unwanted sound reflections that may cause a lot of echo.

Idealy you want sound absorption below ear height on all walls except the screen wall, which should be totaly absorptive.

You want live walls above ear height.

I used carpet on my walls where needed, and it tamed the echo very well indeed. I'm also using a Behringer Feedback Destroyer to smooth out the in-room bas responce, and that works very well too.

HTH

Gary.

3. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Gary

I've heard about the dead front wall and live sides/rear for recording studios. How did you find out about the absorbant lower sides/back.

Was it lots of experiments or a recomendation from someone.
    If you've got a link I'd like to take a look.

I'm rearranging my room a bit and would like to improve the sound. I'd like an alternative to sticking carpet on the wall though.

4. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,670
    Hi Mat,

Dennis Erskine over at avsforum does installs the world over, and he's the source of the info. He knows the subject inside out. I'm sure if you look over there and us the search, you'll find a lot of info.

While I was in the process of conveting my loft, I tried the clap test at various stages so that I could see what the echo was like. Bare plain walls are very reflective, and the carpet certainly made a lot of difference.

If the room is your lounge, then you may not have to worry - furniture can also do a good job at reducing echoes, so you may not have a problem with just carpet on the floor.

You could try the wood floor, but chances are you'll have to have a rug or two down to reduce any echos.

Acoustic batting is often used on walls in home theaters, and then covered with an acoustically transparent cloth - Gothic of Maine is commonly used for this purpose over in the US forum. There are a few home theater construction pics over at the US forum, so they'll be worth looking at for ideas.

HTH

Gary.

5. cradleoffilth

cradleoffilth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you should have watched this old house on discovery home and leisure. they were installing a home cinema and they used padding on the walls, (similar stuff to speaker wadding) stapled to the walls then covering it with some fabric. they only covered parts of the walls. hope this helps

6. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    I used to watch TOH a fair bit when I had Sky, never managed to see the one where they installed a HT system tho.

Did they install Bose speakers as they did in every other house?

Also were there any design tips or description of the sound absorbers or was it just a quick passing bit of the programme?

Kopite: Are you going to have much furniture in the room?
    My room is fairly full and has a vinyl floor over concrete. Like Gary I just tried the clap test and the room has almost no echo as it is.