Whats the best DVD Recorder?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by chriscarthy, Jul 20, 2002.

1. chriscarthy

chriscarthy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Id like anyone whos got a DVD Recorder of any format or anyone who knows much about them to give me some advice.
    Firstly,
    Im looking for a DVD recorder for use mainly to record programmes and films from television. Ive heard that the Philips DVDR1000 is a good choice but this has now been replaced by the 980 and 985 models. I can get a 980 for as little as £400! If anyone has this player please give advice.
    The Pioneer and Panasonic models are more expensive, is it worth the extra money? Again if anyone owns a model from these companies please advise me.
    Last of all: are there any new models or formats available soon?
    Thanks

2. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi chricarthy.

To learn more about the Philips range of recorders from users go to the forum link below.

http://www.dvdplusrw.org/cgi/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi

I have a Panasonic E20 so I am biased and over the moon with regard to the E20 performance. The answer to one of your questions is!! Yes. It is worth paying extra money. The E20 is a brilliant piece of technology and from reading the forums you will see that you are much less likely to have problems with ether the Panasonic or pioneer formats.

The E20 is great for archiving old VHS material on to DVD-R discs. You will see no loss of quality when copying from VHS to the E20.

As a TV video recorder it is amazing as you can record and playback the start of the recording that you are still recording. (it will playback and record both at the same time similar to a Tivo machine).

It has five recording modes and the first two will give you a picture quality equivalent to the original broadcast. You will be hard pressed to tell the difference. The next two recording options the picture quality will reduce to that similar to S-VHS and standard vhs respectively.

There is a fifth recording option call FR (flexible rate) This is only available when using the timer and allows you to make the programm you are recording fit the disc and thus having maximum quality relative to program length.

There is a new Panasonic model available soon which is the E30 due about Aug/Sept and is predicted to be cheaper than the E20 at about £500 to £600 if you shop around. It is basically the same as the E20 with but the FR mode can be dialled in instead of having to use the timer. A good improvement.

see this link......

http://www.avland.co.uk/panasonic/dmre30/index.htm

Editing on the E20 is simple. You can erase whatever you like of a program, front, end , middle, whatever and the erased space is free to use again. The machine locates the empty spaces you don't have to worry. You can never accidentally record over another program.

I have had this machine for about three months now and I love it and never want to use VHS again once I have transfered my stock of VHS stuff that I want to keep.

Here is another forum that will give you info and advise on all the available formats. feel free to ask anything you want. Good luck. Malcom.

http://www.dv-info.net/cgi-bin/ib/ikonboard.cgi

3. chriscarthy

chriscarthy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your info on the Panasonic, i found it very useful.
    If anyone has info on either the Philips or Pioneer models please help.