whats the best dvd recorder for me?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Kasparaitis, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Kasparaitis

Kasparaitis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im a newbie to this game and I know many of members on here are experts and so any advice would be appreciated.

What Im specifically looking for is a dvd recorder that will enable me to record sports games off NASN (Sky channel 417) and then edit the footage so that I can create dvds full of goals without any other footage.

I have been helpfully told I need a model that lets me divide/combine titles and delete parts of a title at will. So I think thats a must for whichever dvd recorder you recommend.

I don't really want to pay over £300 and have been looking at the Sharp DVHR300H which is only £300 but dont really know if it does all the above and apparently it doesn't have RGB in which I read is bad.

Any info is massively appreciated. :smashin: :smashin:

Cheers.
    Ed

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,599
    RGB is the best quality output available on Sky digiboxes. Accordingly RGB input on DVD recorders is highly desirable because it allows you to record in best quality. If you want to record from Sky don't touch a recorder without it.

With regard to what you want to do with your DVD recorder - edit, re-arrange scenes etc can be achieved with most DVD 'minus' recorders, i.e. models from Panasonic, Sony, Pioneer. However note you will need to record in 'VR mode' which will allow you to do everything you want but you will find your recordings are incompatible with most DVD players. If this is acceptable then look at the Panasonic E55, Pioneer 220 and Sony GX3. Such machines are available from £210 and so are well within your budget.

If this is not acceptable then you need to look at HDD/DVDR combos. The beauty of these machines is you can edit, re-arrange etc on the HDD of the machine and then copy to DVD-R which will play on virtually any DVD player. If your interested look at the Panasonic E85, Toshiba RDXS32 and Pioneer 420. These machines are around the £400 mark though so a little too much maybe?

I would suggest trying to push the budget and get a HDD/DVDR combo. If you can't then you will need to choose between the HDD/DVDR functionality offered by the Sharp (a model based on the Pioneer 5100) and high quality RGB recording of a standalone.

3. hi-tech-geek

hi-tech-geek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are going to regret it if you did not get one with Hard Disk.

4. hi-tech-geek

hi-tech-geek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I personally do not think the picture/sound quality differs that much whether you record it through RGB or AV if it is for non-commercial use. The most niticeable difference in quality is the difference in bit rate you record it onto the DVD.

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,599
    !?! Just out of interest what type of connection/signal type are you calling 'AV'?

6. Kasparaitis

Kasparaitis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bit out of my price range i think.

am looking at spending £300.

7. hi-tech-geek

hi-tech-geek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AV = audio visual
    RCA/phono/S video/Scart are all AV connections.

You were pondering at the Sharp DVHR300H which is only £300.

Is that not within your budget? That is your only choice as no one else is anywhere near that price for a Hard Disk DVD recorder.

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,599
    That's very much as I thought you were saying. What I'm struggling to understand is what type of connection you think RGB is! RGB is a signal type that uses Scart - so saying you should use the AV connection is a bit like saying 'use a car'. If your suggesting he should use Video not RGB then forget about a DVD recorder and upgrade your screen urgently.

9. neilo

neilo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    where do you get the Sharp for 300 ?

10. Jerrysimon

Jerrysimon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    There is a post just below this one with all the details.

Jerry

11. Kasparaitis

Kasparaitis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't get the Sharp anymore.

they were on the comet price for £300 but its been taken off, they must have sold out.

12. hi-tech-geek

hi-tech-geek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    May be not many are as fussy, not me anyway.
    RGB is one kind of V in AV. In scart, it has RGB, AND AV, and I am sure you also know, or do you not?
    I am sure others would understand what I meant by AV is to connect it other than RGB.

To me, the quality between RGB and S video, or even ordinary video, is very little unless you have a £5000 TV. May be you have. But how many others have it?

That was my opinion and of course you have yours.

13. hi-tech-geek

hi-tech-geek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You have missed the boat I am afraid.
    They must be Comet's last stock. I am sure other retailer who have the stock will not lower their present price (around £500) that much. The only other sub (just) £400 DVD HD Recorders are LG and Toshiba and I suppose they are out of your budget.

If you are editing the recording for your own use only, you could get one of the DVD-RAM recorders which have good editing features but you can only view it yourself in your own recorder or share it to only a few others who have similar compatible system.

14. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,599
    You clearly need to upgrade you TV/screen. The difference between RGB and composite should be dramatically different even on a sub-£200 TV. Checkout numerous threads on this very forum where people have commented on the dramatic PQ change when switching to RGB. PQ is, of course, subjective. But if you can't tell the difference between a washed out, low bandwidth picture and full RGB then something is definitely wrong.

AV is a generic term which is why I picked you up for it. This is a home cinema forum and proper terminlogy is going to be of more interest to most posters. As is RGB recording quality...

15. burcac

burcac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ironic thing is you will probably see the difference more clearly on a £200 50Hz TV because there is less signal processing!

16. Kasparaitis

Kasparaitis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    looks like some people hi-jacked my thread :)

17. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,599
    Either that or advice was given (see my dit in post #2) and await your comments on whether it answers all your questions/issues or not ;)

18. Kasparaitis

Kasparaitis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wasn't moaning just having a joke. ;)

The info is greatly appreciated.

The problem is that the Sharps now sold out and so I don't know what to get, all recorders with Hard Drive seem very expensive.

If I get one with ram I cant use my computer to put the footage to dvd-r because the pioneer 106 dvd writer I use doesn't read ram disks.

I suppose the best thing to do is get one that burns to dvd-rw and then edit on the PC. That seems to be the only way I could edit footage extensivley without paying £400 ish for a recorder with a Hard drive.

So what Im looking for now is a dvd recorder that burns to dvd-rw, has a RG in and out and also does ram so that I can use the time slip function which i presume you can only use when using ram disks.

Thanks for your help.

19. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anybody who does not see the difference between RGB and VIDEO(composite) has either,a poor tv,poor eyesight or is not actually using RGB.Even if you are not fussy,you should still be able to see the difference,even if it does not bother you.
    Even if you have to stretch to £400,or £450,you will really kick yourself once you are able to see what is possible with a HDD over a DVD only model.
    Pioneer 5100 is discontinued and should be fairly cheap by now(paid £650 for mine),but it has not got RGB input,although with Sky+ you can use the Pioneer's s-video input which is almost as good.The latest Toshiba maybe as low as £350.DO NOT GET A DVD ONLY MODEL.For what you want to do,a HDD unit is essential.(Unless you want incompatible recordings)

20. Kasparaitis

Kasparaitis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info phelings.

I have been reading about VR editing with dvd recorders that dont have HD. Is that sort of editing any good?

21. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can edit with HDD sophistication using RAM or -RW in VR mode.But playback of either format in other players is virtually non existent.
    What some do is to edit in that way,transfer to your PC HDD,then copy back to -R.Personally,I have yet to find any aspect of PC editing as user friendly as a HDD/DVDR combo.

22. waz2004

waz2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Regarding Phelings statement about PC editing software i was given a free software pinnacle studio 8 with dvd writer i purchased. Although i have not used it fully, at a first glance it looks user friendly. Has anyone had any experience with this software?

If so is it better than editing on the dvd recorder?

23. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any editing you do on a PC will be transferred from a dvd.So the large capacity of a STB HDD is an advantage,in that you can have anywhere from 9-300+ hours on the HDD ready for editing.If you keep peak quality you are stuck with 1 hour on a dvd-pc transfer.
    I said that STB was MORE user friendly than PC,not that PC was not user friendly at all.The sheer volume of options available on PC software is a daunting task for the novice

24. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,599
    The Pioneer 220 will do all of this (except use DVD-RAM - but that's not an issue as it will timeslip on 2x speed DVD-RW in VR mode).

I do concurr with Phelings though that if you can push the budget and get a HDD/DVDR then do so.