Whats the best DVD recorder for about £500

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by BlackRaven, Oct 21, 2005.

1. BlackRaven

BlackRaven
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I am going to have to replace my Panasonic DMR E100H. If I manage to get it fixed, it will be a bonus.

I therefore need a recommendation or 2 for what I should get in its place. I definitely want a hard drive on it (but not bothered about a time slip function as I have Sky +). It is to act as my main player as well.

So, for up to £500 what would you recommend?

2. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Sony HX510/710 from Pixmania for £280/£310 odd. Planning on getting one of these myself in the coming weeks - probably the 710 due to the small extra being very worthwhile.

3. BlackRaven

BlackRaven
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any other recommendations, or is that the best for the wonga?

Also, does the Sony 710 create a menu on the disks you create, or is it editable in Ulead before finalising?

4. sjw

sjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Given that you're prepared to spend around £500, I don't see why you'd get a 510/710.
    There's a 910 and above. Panasonic have the great EH60D too.

5. Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    May I throw the Panny DMR-EH80V into the melting pot?

I don't have much experience in the DVD Recorder genre, so as a novice, soe of the things I like and don't like about it are...
    Likes. :smashin:
    Good looking unit.
    VCR built in.
    200gig HDD!
    SD Card reader.
    DVD RAM is cool.
    Easy Editing.
    Quickstart recording.
    Playback while recording.

Dislikes :thumbsdow
    No freeview tuner (from what I've read. Don't use it anyway...Sky+!).
    Cannot name individual chapters.
    Original recordings need to be recorded in FR mode, and then burned in High Speed mode, to enable the chapters you've created to be transferred.
    Won't allow the backup of original video tapes! WTF!!

All-in-all, I'm well impressed with the machine. I've only used it for very basic functions, so as regards what else it can do, I'm stumped. It was an expensive unit to purchase (£550), but since I didn't have a VCR, and I wanted a unit that would last me years, I feel I've made the right choice.

Disclaimer: All the above is from a truely novice point of view. I don't know if any DVD recorder allows you to rename chapters, or if other VCR/DVD units allows to backup your old videos, but this one doesn't. Not much to give out about, I suppose! :clap: :thumbsup:

6. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Just to add, JVC have their MH300 coming in the next month - all the features of the Sony HX910 (European version), including dual layer DVD support, HDMI and scaler, and (finally) RGB on SCART 2 for your Sky/NTL digital box to feed the best signal to the machine.
    Online already showing at £370 - a good £100 cheaper than Pixmania's for the HX910.
    Of course, if you went for the UK spec HXD910, you get all the above plus Freeview tuner instead of analog. Useful I suppose if you want to record anything on channels 1-5 in higher quality than the RF (analog) input would permit. Although I've used the RF on a JVC unit and found it pretty much indistinguishable from the original transmission. Go figure!

As was mentioned above, EH60 from Panasonic has Freeview and analog tuners, and LP mode is full resolution, meaning better quality images with more space to boot. Seems favoured by quite a few members here.
    Equally, the Sony has HQ+ mode - higher than DVD quality apparently, but uses more space up before you need to archive.

Anyway, all can be had for under the £500 mark.

7. BlackRaven

BlackRaven
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Panasonic EH60D now on order.