What's the best dvd player for £1,000 or less.

Rob20

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just interested to see what you can get for up to a grand really.

£1k would get you an Arcam DV79 or you could get the DV78 for a couple of hundred less. Or if lucky you can get an Ex-demo DV27 for around the £1k mark.
IMO Arcam DVD players have the best PQ for the money.

I think the DV78 is analogue output only. The DV79 has HDMI & DVD-A playback. There are rumors that the DV27a (DV27 with DVD-A playback) is about to be replaced so you might be lucky and find a DV27a for a good price if you hold on for a while.

Mark.

We, Sevenoaks Edinburgh, have an Ex-Demo DV27A for sale at £1250. It is only about 3 months old as we only took on the FMJ range a few months ago. It is in mint condition with all original packaging and accesories with full warranty. Give me a call at the store if anybody is interested.

Chris.

I like the look of Pioneer's 868i. Especially as the player can upscale the picture output to 720p. Perfect for my Toshiba lcd's 1366 by 768 screen res.

The 868 is a fine player (I have one) but I wouldn't necessarily say that the upscaled 720p output would be ideal for your display as scaling will still need to be carried out by the display. So any good work done by the 868 scaling engine could be undone by the display scaling.

Messiah said:
The 868 is a fine player (I have one) but I wouldn't necessarily say that the upscaled 720p output would be ideal for your display as scaling will still need to be carried out by the display. So any good work done by the 868 scaling engine could be undone by the display scaling.

so what's the point of the 868 having a scaler built in if flat panels already have this!? :confused:

Because the scaler in some panels may be inferior. Also, not all flat panels are 1366x768. Some are 1280x720 and then, if the 868 scaler does a better job than the inbuilt one, it may be worthwhile setting the 868 to handle the scaling.

"Scaling
Being fixed-pixel devices, like plasma and DLP displays, LCDs require manipulation of every video source signal in order for these signals to be displayed at the panel’s "native" resolution of 1280x768 or 1280x720. Lower resolutions from cable, satellite, DVDs, VCRs, and camcorders must be upsampled to the native resolution; the highest-resolution HDTV images must be downsampled. As with plasma and DLP devices, the quality of the scaling has a direct impact on image quality. But good scaling is complex and expensive; the less expensive the product, the lower the scaling budget. "

How many panels have a 720 line vertical resolution. Aren't the majority 768, (by either 1280/1366). I can't understand why you'd want to scale to 720 as this is of little use to most people. Especially as it would make sense for future panels to be 1366 by 768 as this is the 16:9 ratio favoured by digital tv programming.

Most LCD and DLP front projectors are 1280x720 resolution. It's only flat panel displays (LCD and plasma) that tend to be odd resolutions.

Messiah said:
Most LCD and DLP front projectors are 1280x720 resolution. It's only flat panel displays (LCD and plasma) that tend to be odd resolutions.

Ok, I didn't know that. I suppose this is a throwback to pc screen resolutions?

In PC monitors 768 is usually associated with 1024 (4:3 ratio). Not much PC stuff yet that's 16:9, but it's coming.

So if 768 is also being used for the 9 part of 16:9 I guess it must be a PC magic number for displays.

Mufdvr said:
In PC monitors 768 is usually associated with 1024 (4:3 ratio). Not much PC stuff yet that's 16:9, but it's coming.

So if 768 is also being used for the 9 part of 16:9 I guess it must be a PC magic number for displays.

This would give 768*1366, but widescreen PC monitors aren't 16:9. The Apple Cinema screens are all 16:10 (20" 1050x1680, 23" 1200*1920, 30" 1600*2560). The Samsung 24" is the same res as the Apple 23".

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom