1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what's the best DLP TV for a budget of £2000

Discussion in 'TVs' started by magnole01, Jun 4, 2005.

1. magnole01

magnole01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Help, i have got £2000 to spend and need some advise on which DLP tv to buy. I really like the look of the Toshiba 52WM48 but as im new to this technology i really cant make up my mind. Some one help me to make the right decision as i don't want to waste my money and end up disappointed.

2. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Deja vu :smoke: :smoke: :smoke:

No offence mate but this has been done so many times. Search for '2k/£2000'. I think there are about 4 or more threads on this subject.

Samsung 50' was always the winner :D

Good Luck :smashin:

BTW welcome to the forums :beer: :beer: :beer:

3. P&J

P&J
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Read as much as you can of this forum. Then try to demo the sets. However you will no doubt end up confused. All I can say is that we've had the 52wm48p for about 4 months now and absolutely love it. Yes, there are occasional weaknesses in the quality of source material that this set shows up, but the vast majority of viewing is a joy. With a good dvd the picture is very very good and with a lot of recently produced tv programmes (via Sky) the results are also excelent. For example - "A picture of Britain" last night on BBC1 was stunning. To date we have no regrets with our purchase.

4. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +495
    Talking of the 52wm48p I'm thinking of getting one. Does it have a non-linear stretch mode for watching 4:3 material? On my old Pioneer it was called 'Natural Wide', on my GF's Panasonic CRT it's called 'Justified', and my daughter's old Samsung I think it was called 'Panorama' mode. Does the Tosh have an equivalent? No one seems to mention it on their specs, just that it's got multiple screen modes.

Also, where did you get it from? They all seem to be around the £1700 to £1800 mark but I've no clue as to who is best to get it from. Neither Currys nor Comets seem to do this model, so it's down to unknowns via the net. Are any of them stand outs as far as service go?

And before anyone suggests I get a Sammy 50" instead, well I would, but I don't like the height of the screen. It seems about a foot too high to me for when I'm sitting relaxing on my settee. At the least the Tosh is more amenable to be being placed at what height suits your seating position.

Cheers.

Regards

Mark

5. magnole01

magnole01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went to see some sets for myself at Currys / Comet today, although they have limited stock on display i was quite impressed with what i saw, they had the sets being fed through their normal rubbish feeds but i got an idea of what it would be like, they had a sony, the sammy 50 and a sagum side by side and was amazed at the difference an hd feed made to the picture quality, Sagum had set up a feed through a P.C and it was amazing miles better than any other LCD/Plasma or rear screen in the shop. I am going to demo the tosh 46" + 50" tomorrow so will be interested to see a comparison with what i saw today. can someone confirm they are HDTV ready sets.

6. pantages

pantages

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
  7. P&J

P&J
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    We got our 52wm48p online from Unbeatable which turned out to be delivered direct from Toshiba.

There are several picture modes to accommodate for different sources. This is what the manual says:
    Depending on the type of broadcast being transmitted, programmes can be viewed in a number of formats...............select between Super live, Cinema, Subtitle, 14:9, Wide and 4:3.

These seem to cover all likely possibilities. Super Live does the non-linear stretch. You are also right that the 52 is at a very comfortable (lounge) viewing height when on it's stand. The stand does it's job and IMO looks very good, but is not robust and would need care when moving the set around.

8. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +495
    Cheers for that, P&J, just what I wanted to know. I think they all just deliver direct from Toshiba, which is a bit of a cheek if when it goes wrong they tell you to go back to the retailer.

Regards

Mark

9. pantages

pantages

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Sound & Vision deliver from their stocks.

10. D3CYPH3R

D3CYPH3R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just got the 52" tosh from Sound and Vision, took 3 weeks to arrive which i wasn't happy about as the had told me it would take less than a week! and when it arrived there is a black line on the screen which won't go away, looks like some thread on the inside of the tv or something. but apart from that the picture is very nice, got it hooked up to a denon 2910 through HDMI.

11. magnole01

magnole01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been to see the Tosh 46" and thought it was a great set, they riged it up to a dvd player and hidef through a pc and i was very impressed. Didn't see any of the problems talked about in these forums ( although i was only with the set for about 45 mins ) so now i have a decision to make do i take the plunge and order one or do a wait a few months to see if anything better in the same price band comes along ???????.

12. pantages

pantages

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Well, if you CAN wait you can soon choose between the new range of Toshiba DLP's or look for price reductions on the existing range!

13. magnole01

magnole01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pantages, do you have any info/prices on the new Toshiba range as i would be very interested to know about them before i make any decisions. I would also like to know if they are addressing any of the current issues with their DLP sets.

14. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Please consider a projector same technology and picture quality only 6ft wide believe me done the big telly thing, skip it and go for a projector i bet you will in the end and thats £4000 in total [ £ 2000 telly then £2000 pj L8tr] :eek:

15. pantages

pantages

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    No, but I guess the prices will be on a par with the existing prices, that is, in the range £1500 - £2000 for the 46". It is certain that Toshiba will be ironing out any of the 'problems' reported to them, but DLP is not perfect -yet!

I also have a LCD projector and a pull-down screen in front of the Toshiba giving two quite different experiences. Remember if you use a projector for regular tv viewing then you will have to darken your room during the daylight hours.

16. pantages

pantages

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    PS magnole01 Where in the UK do you live?

17. magnole01

magnole01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You might well be right martian 1, but as i have kids they will want to watch it for normal t.v viewing and i don't fancy blocking out all the daylight for that, especially as my window is 5' x 11', however i will not rule out getting a projector as well. Once the prices have dropped a little just for watching movies, football, boxing etc. So when i decide to do that i will be back for some advise.

18. magnole01

magnole01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    P.S Pantges I live in South East London

19. pantages

pantages

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: