What's the best DIY Screen for Ambient Light?

grumpytoad

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have an Infocus X9 (DLP) projector setup in room with light walls, ceiling and carpet. It's the childrens playroom and is mainly used for playing on the xbox, wii and watching DVDs. As it's the playroom I can't really keep the curtains shut and lights off. Is it possible to get a good picture in ambient light? I've tried painting a piece of MDF with Grey Steel 2 but didn't notice much improvement in the picture quality. The main issue is with dark images and whilst adjusting the contrast improves this it makes lighter images too bright.

What would the best way to achieve a good picture quality in ambient light?

Grey screen usually helps, but you also need to make sure you've set the brightness and contrast correctly using a test disk - having them set wrong usually reduces image quality with regard to black levels and bright area detail.

A grey screen with a little gain works better still; Da-Lite make a 1.1 gain grey material that's probably the best value unless you need extra brightness, in which case a grey version of the Hi Power will give you that, but you need to be sat almost in line with the projector beam to get the best effect.

Gary

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom