What's the best disc to demo upscaling player?

crsm

Novice Member
Reaction score
Anyone got suggestions what the best dvd's are to demonstrate a top-end upscaling player?

That's easy - all the discs you know and love, with one that contains animation, one that contains closeups for skin tones, panning shots, action and dialogue, so you can test all the major disciplines. Which player is it by the way?

That's easy - all the discs you know and love, with one that contains animation, one that contains closeups for skin tones, panning shots, action and dialogue, so you can test all the major disciplines. Which player is it by the way?

It's the Denon 3930.

Unfortunately I don't think my favourite movies are going to showcase the player very well.....

I personally think if you are trying to show off what your system can do, you can't go wrong with Monsters Inc. Really good pictures and soundtrack.

BP

Anyone got suggestions what the best dvd's are to demonstrate a top-end upscaling player?

Try Cars - Ive got a budget upscaler and it looks incredible so I can imagine on your Denon it'll be outstanding :thumbsup:

crsm123, try it rather with a real movie. On cartoons you can actually watch the lines and check scaling but you are never sure how it should look like since it is not real.
Try one anamorph and one letterboxed film. You can use Titanic, as good example, there are both versions out.

edit: of course you have to know what exactly to watch for

star wars 3, revenge of the sith is a goody, the space battle right at the beggining, got close ups of actors plus the cgi stuff in the background, really vivid colours against the jet black of space.

Shark tales or Ice Age
:smashin:

Any of the Star Wars discs and as a test of black levels the underground scenes in the first Lord of the Rings.

star wars 3, revenge of the sith is a goody, the space battle right at the beggining, got close ups of actors plus the cgi stuff in the background, really vivid colours against the jet black of space.

Another vote for star wars here.

If the goal is to really test the player's quality, you want a well-made ordinary film DVD, not cartoons or CGI, which tend to make *all* equipment look great (which is why stores constantly have feeds of them into their TVs ;)). Star Wars is good for testing the blacks on a panel, but if the real point is to test *upscaling* quality, here are the sorts of things you want in your film:

- closeup of faces, hair blowing in the wind
- crowd shots at sporting events
- fast motion, again e.g. sporting events or fight scenes
- something with lots of horizontal/vertical/angled lines (check how the player handles straight lines, does it avoid jaggies?)
- scenes with subtle color gradations, e.g. sky at sunset

So somebody who is a DVD-phile, please recommend a disk with stuff like this! I can only think of Superman Returns, but I'm not sure its well-authored enough . . .

CHFels

I tend to use Return of the King beginning with the Hobbits finding the ring. The green grass, blue water and the close up skin tones when they are fighting tends to show the full spectrum of colours.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom