Whats the best cheap upscaling DVD player?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Jedfordski, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Jedfordski

Jedfordski
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I'm looking for a good cheap upscaling DVD player. I don't want to spend too much as I'll be going the HD route when the dual players arrive on the scene.

I found the Toshiba 370 online for around £40 but am weary of the freezing problem. Can you recomend any others?

Cheers,

Jed.

2. dazza74

dazza74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,394
    I think it will be a while before affordable dual format players arrive at an affordable level. If multi region doesn't bother you I'd have a think about putting the money towards something like the Toshiba E1 HD DVD rather than getting just an upscaling DVD player.

3. Jedfordski

Jedfordski
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was following the thread about the Toshiba Dual player pencilled in for October for around £500. However, that's still a lot of money. Maybe I could look at picking up a cheap older Toshiba HD player when they release the next generation (October as well?) until the duals come down a bit. I could then either sell it on, or use it upstairs in the bedroom with my 26" LCD.

Something to think about anyway :)

Cheers.

4. Belle400

Belle400
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive just bought a phillips 5980 from amazon for £60,what hi fi have just reviewed it given it 5 stars and stated it will push hard for best in class next month

5. SC999

SC999
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Jed, I would advise against the Tosh - I got one, and it had the freezing prob straight out of the box and lasted less than a week before refusing to produce an HDMI signal at all.

I returned it and have got a Phillips 5980 - which (so far) I am very happy with.

Shop around and I'm sure you'll be able to get it for £50 -ish.

HTH.

Si