1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats the best camcorder advice

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by krismcewan, Jan 8, 2005.

1. krismcewan

krismcewan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok i know i am stupid but i have a sony IP7 which i know now is pants in low light.

I am looking to spend around the £400-500 mark on a small MiniDV camcorder but what?

I need the following from it.
    Small & light
    at least 10x Optical Zoom
    a good low light visability.
    Decent batery life (ie 1 battery per tape)
    Firewire In/out

Any advice greatly received

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,388
    TBH you are asking a lot from a camcorder.
    The smaller they are, the smaller the lens is likely to be and therefore the less light gets in making it poor in low light conditions. To be good in low light you need a cam with a big lens and a larger then normal CCD - one or other will be ok, but both would be best.
    1 battery per tape is very unlikely out of the box. Most cam makers supply a low life battery just to get you going. For longer use you nearly always need to buy an extended life battery - and the longer it lasts, the more it costs!
    I think most cams come with a zoom of around 10x or more, but IMHO more than 10x is a waiste as any shots on high zoom without useing a tripod will have far too much camera shake, even with optical steady shot.
    The only feature you have listed that I think is a very good idea is the firewire in & out. This can be well worth the extra cost when it comes to archiving your edited footage as a DVD can be so easily damaged.

I know that my above comments have not made choosing a good cam any easier, but perhaps they will make you step back and think about those that you really do need and those you can live without, because as I have said I really don't think you will get them all on a single camcorder straight out of the box.

Good luck with the camcorder hunting. Let us know how you get on.

Mark.

3. krismcewan

krismcewan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Has anyone used the Canon MVX250i.

Whats it like?
    is it better than the rest at the same price?

Chris

4. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JVC offer a couple of cameras around this price point with DV in and an f1.2, key features on otherwise unremarkable cams.

These aside either a Sony HC 30 or HC 40 would do a good job, HC 40 if widescreen is important.