1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the best buy - BG 801s vs BD 808 vs Marquee 8500 Ultra

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by sasja, Mar 24, 2004.

?
  1. Barco Graphics 801s at £1200

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  2. Barco Data 808 at £1875

12 vote(s)
    48.0%
  3. Marquee 8500 Ultra at £3035

8 vote(s)
    32.0%
  4. Those aren't good deals - don't take any of them!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. While one or more of the deals may be fair, there will be even better ones a few months hence - don'

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  1. sasja

sasja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for taking the time to help me out here. I've been keen to upgrade from LCD to CRT for a long time, and now these three projectors have come along. I can't use it right away (some work on the room needs to be done first, let's say 2-4 months), but as I live in Denmark where the market is a lot smaller, you have to take the offers when they're there. I've been scanning the market for more than a year, and these are the first decently priced, nice CRTs I've seen. However, I don't want be ripped off and have several months to regret it before I even get to use the goodies! So please tell me your opinion on these three offers:
    1. Barco Graphics 801s, £1200. New blue tube, 5200 hours, but there doesn't seem to be any problems with the other tubes.
    2. Barco Data 808, £1875. Has run 1100 hours, almost clean tubes.
    3. Marquee 8500 Ultra, £3035. 1900 hours, a little wear on the green tube.
      [/list=1]They're all sold from private persons without warranty. The 801s will leave some room for other stuff I'll need, like a scaler and a screen (been using a white wall so far). However, I understand that 808 is by far the better projector, and if that's the better deal, I could make do with a htpc (it'll take some time for me to figure out I'll wager) and a diy white painted board with a black border until I had some more saved up. The Marquee is honestly too expensive - I only included it on the off chance that you may all say that it's the deal of a lifetime and I should sell my underwear to get it :)

Any feedback will be highly appreciated!

2. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +617
    I think it all comes down to support, I would definitely take the 808 over the 801s and also the Marquee 8500 Ultra over the 808, I think you will get both excellent colours and great blacks from the 8500ultra, if it is Liquid coupled even more of a reason to go for it. However can you get parts for the Marquee 8500 Ultra as easily as the Barco or vice versa, this in my opinion is priceless.
    You know with a Barco, you can call guys like Roland from B4 or Henry and James at CRT projectors and they will 9 times out of 10 have a replacement board for you, this makes a lot of difference.

Either the 808 or the Marquee 8500 Ultra should give you stunning results if set up properly, in fact I forgot you are coming from LCD so it will probably blow you away even if you do a **** set up ;) :p

my vote was based on having seen an 801s and 808, and what I have been told by some one who has seen all three running, I chose Marquee 8500 Ultra.

3. PeterJones

PeterJones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Sasja

Personaly I think that you should go' for the Marquee Ultra, it's not as old as the 808, the Marquee also much better in performance so it's defenetly worth the price.
    I can see that u r located in Denmark, so it could happen that the Marquee u r offered is modifyed by TAN for even more better performance, IF that is the case...u should take that Marquee NO DOUBT.

Remember that the Marquee Ultra is still in production and are still supported aswell.

The Data 808 is not much fun with it's max of 69khz.

Just my solution :eek:)

4. dvdmonster

dvdmonster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I agree with gizlaroc and PeterJones and think the Marquee 8500 Ultra is the projector to get!

The Marquee is clearly the best of the bunch and if you plan on having the projector for a long time there is no question in my mind. You should sell your underwear to get it! (just remember to post pictures of yourself without underwear next to the Marquee when you pick it up :D :D :D )

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,781
    Well I voted for the Barco 808. Marquee may still be in production but my experience of service and back up is that it is crap. Also the noise of the HVPS on Marquee is annoying in extreme (although this can be modded). It also needs mods to do vertical squeeze for 16:9 anamorphic disc playback.

In Europe there will be piles of s/h parts for Barco's while Marquee's are less likley to show up with bits you need and you DON'T want to buy new parts for service issues as they are still priced as commercial items so the costs are NUTS!.

Just my tuppence worth

G

6. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +617
    That is what I was trying to say, the marquee should give a better image, but, barco parts are available at reasonable prices, which to me is worth everything.

Or you could buy my NEC XG off me, better it wouldnt be more than €20 to ship it to you ;)

7. dvdmonster

dvdmonster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Dollar is down, and spares are cheaper than even for the Marquee's. Prolly cheaper than Barco parts, if you want to import.

8. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,781
    Well I would agree the XG is the best of the bunch.....but then parts for that aren't exactly falling out the trees!
    G

9. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +617
    Which is the reason I was going to switch to Barco, loose the colours from the XG but gain the piece of mind in having a barco.

If I was in the States it would be a different story.

10. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    thats an interesting question about availability of spare...

i have a nice 801s from our good friend Roland. I am intending on emigrating to Canada in approx 12 to 18months time. What is the spares situation out there? Would I be better off selling the 801 and buying another barco out there, keeping my 801 and shipping it out, or should I consider another make altogether if I am to live in Canada?

11. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +617
    I would personally sell it and get myself a new one when over there.

I keep looking at some of the bargains in canada and the usa, and wish I were a little closer.

To ship from canada is around £250, but going the otherway seems to be about twice as much. And you could get a really good 801s out there for around us$1000 it seems.

Parts for barco are still in good supply there, but there are more parts for other makes, so you have a wider choice of PJ.

12. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,781
    Electrohome was a Canadian company wans't it? Curt Palme has lots of s/h crt's over in Canada. I'd sell it here too and buy new over there.

Gordon

P.S. Chris, have you decided which part of Canada you are going to? My in laws live outside Toronto.

13. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +617
    And when you go Chris, do you fancy a lodger? ;)

Canada is one place I would love to live, if even for a year or two, but now I've got caught up in life.

You lucky git! :)

14. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    we have not set our sights firmly, but we want to live by the mountains somewhere.. Vancouver is the favourite.

ah yes, i have many friends and family members who will all start taking regular holidays to Canada when we move out there ;)

:)

we are both so looking forward to it..

15. swbook

swbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "don't buy anything that loses value so quickly" ??

This isn't computer graphics-cards or LCD's, it's a mature technology. The Marquee 8500 Ultra has stayed the same for
    5 years now, so the "loses value" thing is really a bit wrong.

If you're interested in having a product you can keep for a very long time, then it simply has to be the Marquee Ultra. No doubt, this pj is here to stay, and has a huge following, the Marquee crowd is INSANELY loyal towards them. I went from Barco to Marquee myself, and joined their ranks.:)

16. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,781
    Well I have ti disagree about s/h pj prices staying stable. Having sold s/h crt's myself I can say that prices have definately come down in last 18 months. I also get s/h lists from a US re-seller and his prices have dropped in last 2 years.

Barco have said that they are commited to making CRT PJ's for next 10 years....assuming they stay in business that long. Electrohome went to Christie who sold the CRT division to VDC. I'm not denying the products work just wondering how much longer either manufacturer is going to stick with the programme.

Chris: Curt Palme is in Vancouver. He is the Canadian you want to talk to when you go.

17. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Prices have dipped considerably, and not only that, pj's that would have sold by the bucket load a year or so ago now either don't sell or sell at vastly reduced prices.

On Ebay over the past few months, decent 808s's have been going for as low as a staggering £410 :rotfl: The Germans seem to be snapping up a lot of these bargains but even so, a lot remain unsold. With pretty decent digital pj's starting at around £1k, most folks appear to be happy to ignore the qualities of crt and go for the small new one-eyed box of tricks.

I don't see me keeping my crt for more than a year, might even dump it sooner given the quality of the "low-end" digitals such as my fav, the BenQ 8700 (8710). Digitals have too much to offer and are getting better and cheaper by the day. I still think crt pq is better but the margin has closed sufficiently in the past 12 months such that the market for crt's is dropping fast and if the Ebay'ers aren't buying them the days of crt's are truely numbered.

Sorry, not bashing crt's, on the contrary, just calling it as I see it.

I voted for 808 - best bang for the buck, oddles of support.
    Paul

18. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +617
    I think Paul has hit the nail on the head, people just dont want the hassle anymore, not when you look at the quality and price of a digital compared with 3 or 4 years ago, I think those with a dedicated room and the money to have somone properly calibrate it will still buy crt, but there are now other options, which has brought the price down considerably.

19. GagHalfrunt

GagHalfrunt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I too was debating getting a digital until I saw one during my honeymoon last month.

It was a professionally set up Runco DLP showing HDTV (at Epcot in Disneyworld).

I never realised that the blacks were that bad. I'm sure things will improve but it's not there yet. I will get a replacement CRT atm (Barco) and after that it will be a digital probably. I'm assuming that in 3 years time that they will be "good enough". I want Star Wars to have yellow text on a black background!

20. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,781
    The Epcot DLP was an older Runco 3 Chipper I think. It is not a great example of what is achievable with regards black level.

Gordon

21. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    pound for pound, CRT still beats any digital projector IMHO. what about bulb life too? how often are bulbs changed.. are the overall running costs cheaper with CRT?

presumably, also, as more ppl ditch them for digital boxes, there must be more spares on the market for those who still love their CRT PJs thus CRT owners get an even better deal?

what about the warmth of CRT compared to the digital edgyness of digital? (sounds like the CD v Vinyl debate eh?)

22. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,781
  23. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +617
    I love the way we are all still replying to this thread and Sasja is obviously not interested in the answer anyway, he probably bought a Panasonic AE100 :)

24. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    LOL!

25. sasja

sasja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can see how you got this impression, and I'm sorry to appear so rude - a huge thank you to all who contributed to helping me decide what to do! (By the way, I'm a she and already the 'lucky' owner of an AE100)

I've been following the discussion all the way, but I had a bit of a set-back as the guy with the 808 sold it the day before he was supposed to show it to me (he lives a some hours away so I had to wait for the weekend, and he sold it Friday :( ). But that's life in the second hand business, I guess - I would have taken it immediately (if it were in ok condition) thanks to the advise I got here. Believe it or not, there's not now a single 808 for sale in Denmark at the moment. So my indecision has (very against my will) now boiled down to this:
    1. Take the BG 801s
    2. Buy a new 220 cm wide Stewart screen 1.5 gain at £700 instead which will improve my picture vastly, and wait for another 808 to hit the market (months or even years)
    3. Get the Marquee and post a photo of me selling my underware... or wait a minute, what pervert suggested that one ;) No, honestly, it's too expensive for me.
      [/list=1]I'm not going to ask you which one to pick, as you've already taken such pains to help me (and I've seemed quite unappreciative) - plus, by the time you tell me what to do, the option is sure to no longer exist. Anyway, I still think the discussion was very worthwhile and interesting - to me as well as to others debating different CRT possibilities. Thanks again for taking the time!

26. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +617

Argghh !! talk about putting my foot in it, twice :blush:

good luck with what ever you do, and keep us informed :smashin:

27. sasja

sasja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hehe, don't worry - I'm glad I haven't offended with my remote manners ;)

Thanks for your input!

28. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    BG801s is a nice pj - I had one and I think its very under-rated. Its older than the 808 but has nice colour-corrected (or is it filtered?) tubes. Price looks high though, you should be able to get one for a lot less, say £600 or so for one with good tubes, as they are not as popular as 808's.

There has been a lot of 808's up for sale lately, one will appear soon enough I would think.
    Paul

29. dvdmonster

dvdmonster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7

1. A fine quality Stewart screen cannot improve the picture quality of a 801s much and not remotely close to the Marquee. I think your choosing the wrong PJ.

30. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +617
    You dont need to look at projectors that are in Norway either, You could get PJ crated and shipped for around £250-300.

I got a quote for shipping my NEC to someone in Austria for roughly £250.