What's the best ATI AGP graphics card ?

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I was going to get the Nvidia 7800GT but I think a lot of the Nvidia cards suffer with stuttering problems on games like Colin McRae Rally 2005. I believe the ATI cards perform a lot better with this game so can someone tell me what's the best ATI AGP card please. There are that many different model numbers that I just don't have a clue !

semiskimmed

Distinguished Member
the best is X850XTPE
then the X850XT
but the x800xt's can easily perform the same as those 2 above if overclocked very slightly and are a little more common and maybe a bit cheaper too.

wormvortex

my mate says his x700 is good, its an agp and was around £80. Not personally sure how great it is i've always gone Nvida after my last ATI gave me so many problems

semiskimmed

Distinguished Member
JohnG said:
What's the X850PRO like ?
its basically a x850xtpe cut down by 4 pixel pipelines to 12. its about the same as a 6800nu i think it may also have slightly slower clock speeds than the xtpe.

HMHB

Distinguished Member
Ok cheers, so if I do go the ATI route it will be the X850XTPE if I can find one for sale !

semiskimmed

Distinguished Member
thats the most powerful AGP card on paper.
now if you can find a x800xt for less money id get that tbh as theres not alot of performance difference between the 2.

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I'll have a look round then. I need to satisfy myself that the Nvidia cards still have problems with the CMR5 game first though. I've always bought Nvidia in the past.

HMHB

Distinguished Member
:D hmm - I wonder if that means they work OK with the game ? I've phoned Codemasters up so many times about this problem and they come out with the same garbage every time, but I might phone them up and ask if it works OK with the 7800GS ;)
Just had a look at some 7800GS cards and have seen those cards as well, it's the Club3D ones that come with it.

HMHB

Distinguished Member
Just found this article which compares the x850XTPE with the old 6800 Ultra and they mention the in game stuttering.

semiskimmed

Distinguished Member
that seems to clear that up though. it might be a driver problem with nvidia?

Tigerblade

semiskimmed said:
now if you can find a x800xt for less money id get that tbh as theres not alot of performance difference between the 2.

^^^^

Good advice. Get an x800xt (pe) and whack an artic cooler on it. It'll hit x850 speeds easily.

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I can't find anyone who's selling an AGP X850XTPE on-line :(

HMHB

Distinguished Member
Cheers, I'll check it out. Is it easy to overclock a graphics card ?

HMHB

Distinguished Member
By the way, I spokt to Codemasters again and they are recommending that I go the ATI route for smoother gameplay. I also saw this review in PC Plus which was not very complimentary about the 7800GS !

semiskimmed

Distinguished Member
JohnG said:
Cheers, I'll check it out. Is it easy to overclock a graphics card ?
its a doddle with ati tool/tray tools. its even got an auto clock thing that finds the max speeds for the cards ram and gpu

Dfour

Just install Omega drivers latest ATI driver

http://www.omegadrivers.net/

They all have ATI tray tools inbuilt to it so its a dodle ot overclock and the custom drivers are great and totaly stable. :smashin:

shacky

Standard Member
FORGET ati and get this

go for the gainward 7800gs GLH (GLH = GOES LIKE HELL 20 PIPES !! ) LOOK FOR REVIEWS......

Tigerblade

shacky said:
FORGET ati and get this

go for the gainward 7800gs GLH (GLH = GOES LIKE HELL 20 PIPES !! ) LOOK FOR REVIEWS......
And this will cost far more than a 2nd hand X800/X850.........

apolloa

Distinguished Member

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More

Latest News

LG Display teams with Disney for OLED Projects
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Campfire Audio updates Vega and Dorado earphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Oppo launches S1 and R1 4K smart TVs
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Lithe Audio AirPlay 2 ceiling speakers world's first
  • By Andy Bassett