whats the best amp to partner the pmc db1i's

THE-STIG-08

hi chaps, as the title says what in your opinion is the best amp to partner with the pmc db1i's to get the very best from them?

budget is preferably around or under £1000

:smashin:

Seeker_UK

If you want new, you probably want to audition a Naim Nait 5i, Musical Fidelity M3i, NAD C375BEE or Cambridge Audio Azur 840a.

If you want to go second hand then I'd recommend a Meridian 501/557 combo or Naim NAC72/NAP180

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
What is the best amp? Bryston!

I believe that might be what PMC uses in testing their speakers. However, that is going to be WAY over your budget.

BRYSTON B-60 B60 INTEGRATED AMPLIFIER at hifix.co.uk

I think you simply want an amp with a lot of solid power, and Seeker_UK made some fair suggestions.

I would suggest nothing less than about 75w, and preferably above 100w. Next, get expensive watts. A cheap but allegedly powerful amp is not going to be so powerful in the long run. Though I think your £1000 budget takes care of that.

On the premium end, the 75w/ch Arcam FMJ-A28 for about £900 is about as far as you can go in the Arcam line.

The Roksan Kandy K2 cost about £900, and has a solid 125w per channel, and is generally regarded as a neutral amp so it can work well with just about any speakers.

Opinion on Marantz vary, but the premium PM8003 with 70w per channel is worth a look at £749.

The lesser but equal powered Marantz PM7003 is about £450 to £500.

The NAD C375 is a good amp for the money with a solid 150w/ch at £850.

The Cambridge Audio 840A is a highly regarded amps and a very outstanding price; 120w per channel at £799.

Personally I'm not into premium amps, so the Arcam and Roksan only have moderate appeal to me. I think, of the lot, I would lean toward the Cambridge 840A or the NAD C375BEE. Both very high power, universally recognized quality and value, and they are probably just enough different that if you don't like one, you will probably like the other.

Another feature, or lack there of, on the premium amps like the Arcam and Roksan, is they don't have tone controls. That is something of a deal killer for me.

In an editorial Stereophile magazine rated NAD, Cambridge, and Rotel as the absolute best value in amps out there. In your case, I would say NAD and Cambridge, unless you want to spend the extra money to go Pre/Power in Rotel.

Just a few thoughts.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:

Seeker_UK

What is the best amp? Bryston!

I believe that might be what PMC uses in testing their speakers. However, that is going to be WAY over your budget.

Definitely agree. When I was audiioning speakers last year, I heard some PMC FB1s on the end of an all Bryston steup and it was :smashin: + :D + :eek:

However, the Audiolab 8000a I had at the time, although could dump a shed-load of current when required, wasn't beefy enough for the PMCs. :( Even more annoying now I have an amp which is up to the job.......

I really wouldn't consider anything below 100WPC unless they could deliver huge amounts of current.

As a slightly left field solution, how about a serviced Quad 405 with a NAD Pre? Would give you a lot of amp for £500.

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
I'll add one more amp to the mix.

The Harman Kardon HK990. This is Harman's flagship amp, and it is essentially a 2.2 AV amp; two main channels with twin Sub outs, Digital inputs, build-in HQ DACs, room equalization, bass control, and many other advanced features; 150w/ch and Harman amps are noted for being very high current amps.

Price: £899 (HiFix.co.uk)

Though prices range from £790 to £1095 -

Harman Kardon HK990 - Google Product Search

Something to consider.

Steve/bluewizard

THE-STIG-08

thank-you both for your very detailed answers, i definatly notice a slight lack of power on my rega mira 3 at 60 wpc but love the sound it produces at low levels. would adding something like the rega maia be better or do you think i should just change the amp for something more powerfull, bearing in mind i would like to keep the rega apollo so the amp would need to have good synergy with that also.

i look forward to your thoughts

coruja

Just out of interest and the mentioning of Stereophile magazine BlueWizard for their review of the PMCs they used two good quality but quite modestly powered amps @ 35W and 40W: Stereophile: PMC DB1<I>i</I> loudspeaker

The ideal demo would be to listen to these with NAD, CA, Rotel and Roksan - seems a lot of work but for such good speakers and the large amount of money you're willing to spend I think you'll need to do this.

Last edited:

Member 116841

Distinguished Member
Stig - seeing as you like the sound of the Mira with the DB1i's, how about adding a power amp to what you have? You could add a Maia 3 power amp and bi-amp them, or (I know it's a little more) how about adding a pair of Exon 3 monoblocks?

devilyfish

If it were me, ie a nobody i'd go for the new MF M3i excellent sounding amplifier, just be careful to not pair the DB1i's with ANY Silver cable and make sure you lob some bluetac on top of your dreadnaughts for excellent bass response.

THE-STIG-08

Stig - seeing as you like the sound of the Mira with the DB1i's, how about adding a power amp to what you have? You could add a Maia 3 power amp and bi-amp them, or (I know it's a little more) how about adding a pair of Exon 3 monoblocks?

thanks david i think thats probably the best solution for what i have, but i will also demo some of the forementioned amps just to get a comparison.

thanks for the tip on the blu-tac but thats already in place on my dreadnoughts :smashin:

THE-STIG-08

o yes defo, plus getting rid of the brass links thats a good one too, i did it with some odyssey that i was given and that made a huge difference.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom