Whats the best 50hz widescreen TV for under £1000?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by tk2001, Nov 4, 2001.

1. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Hi,

I was thinking of buying the Sony 32FQ75 for £1300 inc delivery but after hearing negative responses about some of these 100hz TV's and the fact that most people I've spoken to seem to think that decent 50hz TV's offers better and more stable picture quality than 100hz TV's, has made me reconsider about purchasing the 32FQ75.

£1300 is ALOT of money to spend on a TV, but if I can save myself hundreds of pounds in getting a 50hz widescreen TV that offers comparable picture quality to the 32FQ75's, then thats what I would choose to do.

Can anyone suggest some decent 50hz wisecreen TV's that I can buy for under £1000 thats preferably going to last me for at least 5 years before it becomes obselete.

PS. If I have gotten some of my facts wrong about some of the things I've said regarding 50hz and 100hz, please correct me because after all, I'm only a newbe when its comes to TV's but at the same time I wish to get the best out of my money.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Have a look at the JVC AV32 WFT1 which is Home Entertainment's Nicam TV of the year. It is a 50Hz TV which was available at just over £700 from internet sources a couple of months ago when I bought mine.

Excellent good looking set, excellent value and as you can guess I am very pleased with mine as seem to be many others who have posted here.

I could have spent more but didn't see the point and with the money I saved I bought a new amplifier.

regards

Ian

3. swhits

swhits
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    try searching on http://uk.pricerunner.com just enter 50hz in the search string and it'll return loads. I've just bought a Panasonic & can't fault it. Theres probably 6 or 7 Panasonic 50 hz to chose from. Theres plenty of deals at the moment you just need plenty of time to trawl through them

4. cjpat55

cjpat55
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also need advice regarding which widescreen TV to buy and was considering a pansonic of the range PL1 to PL10. Reading this thread, do i go for the 50Hz or 100 Hz? which is better TV to go for?:confused:

5. swhits

swhits
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    having done a bit of research in the mags & on various forums there appears to be a number of people that think 50hz is better at the moment. What TV & Video seem to have reservations about 100hz (Latest issue)

6. brattle

brattle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lo TK2001, glad you found your way to these forums :).

The general rule of thumb for 50hz versus 100hz is:

100 hz is more difficult got manufacturers to "get right", is more expensive and depending on the TV can suffer more from artefacts and blurring during periods of high motion.

50 hz usually gives better colours and no artefacts or blurring due to it being a natural picture, but as the screen size gets bigger, the flicker 50 hz displays becomes more obvious. Depending on who you are, this can differ from being completely un-noticeable to being actually painful and uncomfortable to watch.

50 hz fanboys will say that this is nonsense, but it is a known condition which I (and others) suffer from.

Unfortunately there is no such thing as a perfect TV yet. The best thing I can say is to try out a few in a shop and see what you think. In the case of TV's, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

7. JamieL

JamieL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How does the JVC AV32 WFT1 shape up as far as flicker is concerned???

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    "How does the JVC AV32 WFT1 shape up as far as flicker is concerned???"

As an owner all I can say is "What's flicker"

Ian

9. MartinImber

MartinImber