• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Whats the best 40/42 inch TV?

S

Skip04

Hi there,

I'm looking to buy a 40/42 inch LCD or Plasma TV and have a budget of around £1,000 (slightly more if need be). I require a TV that brings out the best picture for sport and movies. I've been advised that I need a TV that is 1080p Full HD and 100mhz (although friends have advised their set is fine at 50mhz to watch the footie). My preference is Sony, Samsung and Panasonic but with so many models to choose from, I’m finding buying a new TV very difficult. The Panasonic TH-42PZ70B and the Samsung LE40N87 LCD look a good buy but not sure if its 100mhz. Be grateful for some advice and recommended models. Many thanks.

brain_stew

I wouldn't worry too much about 100hz. Whilst its nice in theory, it can create some unpleasent artifacts and introduce artificial looking motion.

jassa

Standard Member
following sets to choose from depending upon your budget:
1) samsung le42/46f86
2) sony bravia kdl40/46X3000 or 3500
3) toshiba z3030
4) philips pfl9632
5) panasonic pz700
all have some flaw or the other but for common user like me it's dealers choice (and money of course!!)

choddo2006

Distinguished Member
Strange you've left off the PX70, PZ70 and Samsung Q97?

I wouldn't touch an LCD with a 40foot pole if sport & movies is important. Why do you think you need full HD? The PZ70 has it, and is about that price, maybe 900. You can't go far wrong with that.

chrispeters

Strange you've left off the PX70, PZ70 and Samsung Q97?

I wouldn't touch an LCD with a 40foot pole if sport & movies is important. Why do you think you need full HD? The PZ70 has it, and is about that price, maybe 900. You can't go far wrong with that.

totally agree ......... :thumbsup:

Kalos Geros

I wouldn't worry too much about 100hz. Whilst its nice in theory, it can create some unpleasent artifacts and introduce artificial looking motion.

100Hz is not a bad thing per se, depending on implementation...if no frame interpolation is used i.e. frame doubling is used to achieve 100Hz it is OK even necessary...I have the Panny PV70 that allows for manual switching from 50Hz to 100Hz...wide area flicker is rather obvious at 50Hz especially on such a big screen and with bright scenes...of course using 100Hz eliminates that but picture gets a little brighter which can be corrected...I'm not sure why the UK version doesn't have the 50/100Hz switch...it is however unavailable with 60Hz input from say an NTSC DVD...iz probably runs at 60Hz period...

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom