Whats the best 4 - 5Mega Pixel camera out there?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Ninjaman, Oct 30, 2003.

1. Ninjaman

Ninjaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Had the Kodak Easyshare digital camera LS443 4M pixel, comes with a dock and 32Mb internal memory.

But unforturnately it has packed in, and going back to Jessops today. I took out extra insurance so it should be a problem.

First the Lens protective shutter went, now when i switch it on the motor refuses to bring out the lens and the camera cant be switched on at all, it makes a horrible grinding noise. Other than that the build quality is not that good, and good night photo requires a photographic degree, it doesnt transfer images throug to the dock to my windows 98 OS ( contrary to the manual), it doesnt save any settings even if you just change photo mode i.e. night, dalight, landscape without switching the camera off.

I have heard the that Canon and Konica does have new good ones.

Any other suggestion.

ps. i need to try a way to get off those outrageous pixs off the internal memory before i take it in.

2. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    How much do you want to spend?

3. Ninjaman

Ninjaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    maximum £500, but could go a bit further

4. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    www.dpreview.com is a good place to look for advice but £500 will get you into the realms of the Canon Powershot G5 which is well thought of. I'd also look at Nikon & Fuji's offerings. I've never been a Sony fan but they seem to be gaining a following.

... What outrageous images?

5. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would very highly recommend the Konica KD-400Z, I am very happy with mine. I believe the 500Z is also available now but I not used one of those.

6. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  7. alfablue

alfablue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i can reccomend the Nikon 5700

handles like an slr, solid all metal build, has a ttl viefinder (though its an lcd) good lens, good pictures, very useful swivel lcd (though smaller than some) helps a lot when tripod mounted or held low down or above head. Has an 8x optical zoom. Takes dedicated batteries, but includes a fast charger. (Clone batteries available for £14 ish). Can have a "portrait grip" that will also take 6 x AA's as an alternative source. Good range of Nikon lens adaptors (wide and tele - wide to 28mm equivalent, tele to 400+ mm).

available here
    http://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/coolpix-5700.htm

for £619 with £100 cashback - goes for over £800 in jessops!

and I can highly recommend the shop, nice people, very helpful.

Drawbacks -

1 needs a wired remote rather than cable release (most compact digital cameras can use neither - except Fuji S602 pro, which accepts a cable release);

2 no focus-assist light for low light levels - thats probably the worst bit;

3 has a hot shoe so can use an external flash (I use my Vivitar 283) - but for full control by the camera it needs to be an appropriate nikon speedlight.

I had a fuji 6900 before - i was pleased with that but the Nikon has better zoom, more compact, 5mp rather than 3, and a few other things i like as above.

though there is a 6mp fuji on the way soon that may be a good alternative. Fuji's are bulkier, a little flimsier, but very good for features, picture quality and value for money.

8. acucobol

acucobol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can highly recommend bristol cameras too. Bought 2 camears off them this year, a Minolta 7hi and a Kidak LS633. Prices are very keen and they offer webprice instore as well, so if you live nearby you can save the P&p charge.

9. cjdawson

cjdawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have used the Minolta's DiMAGE S414 for the past couple months.

I'm not an expert person, but here is the main features I liked:

4x optical zoom.
    4 Mega pixels
    res: 640x480, 1280x960, 1600x1200, 2272x720

problems:

No Internal memory
    Very high power need (4xAA) short life with display on and flash on.

I have not had any problems. But like having the warranties on anything like this.

10. wokeye

wokeye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    It depends on the size of camera you want really, the Canon G3 is not that small. I used to have an Olympus C-4000 zoom which is a brilliant camera that can be picked up at bargain basement prices. However like the G3 it ain't that small. I recently changed it for a Konica Revio KD410z as I wanted something smaller and did not require the manual controls of the C4000 zoom. I am really happy with this camera, just depends what you want really I guess. No point getting a camera with lots of features if you are not gonna use them!