1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats the best 3G phone/network

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by Greggles, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Greggles

Greggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    The O2 contract on my SE S700i is soon to expire and I have been toying with the idea of upgrading to 3G. I was wondering what the best 3G hanset/network was at the moment. I note that there's hardly a mention of 3G in the latest O2 magazine and handsets seem few and far between in the O2 shop @ Lakeside. Are O2 not persuing 3G? Incidentally, I don't know if this alters your recommendation, but one of my priorities is the need to to use my bluetooth equiped PDA to access the www through via the phone.

2. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    Considering your last remark, I would think the best bet would be vodafone....£30 per month gets you 200 anytime crossnetwork minutes and 500 texts on a Nokia 6680. Now the trick is that 500 texts is the same as 24Mb of data!!! I don't know why vodafone doesn't shout about it as it makes it by far the cheapest network for anyone looking for data and full Internet access....

3. Ol!ver

Ol!ver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    You sure about that? Doesnt say anything about 500 texts.... http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.viewPayMonthlyPricePlans

4. dayna62

dayna62

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've got the 6680 on o2 on upgrade (online tariff), cost me £70.00. i pay £30.00 per month and get 200 anytime mins & 500 texts, or if you dont text much, you can have 300 mins and 50 texts. good thing with o2, is their phones always seem to be sim free, and they dont brand them with their own crap, which causes problems for some people. there are quite a few problems with vodafone 3g according to a few websites.
    the 6680 is an awesome phone, and the software you can add to it is just brilliant, especially tomtom navigator.

5. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    Absolutely certain, I've got it delivered yesterday....See http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/index.cf...dsetID=288&variationID=97&showAllTariffs=true

O2 Is indeed a good choice for SIM free phones. Personally I need the GPRS connection for 3G access from my laptop and then you can't beat the Vodafone deal I think....

I've only got it one day, but so far the 6680 seems the best phone I've had...Battery life is amazing for a 3G model...I transferred nearly 700Mb back and forth between the phone and used it for navigation (screen on all the time) on a 3 hour journey and the battery is a good as fresh....Makes a big change to my previous A1000....

Also the Nokia PC suite (v6.60) work very well...

6. Ol!ver

Ol!ver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Looks like it's an offer only available to new contracts, and seeing as I upgraded..... :(

7. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    A bit late now unfortunately, but one word of advice...Unless you can get the same terms or better as a new contract (and don't be afraid to ask, you may be surprised), don't ever upgrade.....

Just get a new contract out and transfer your number. Number transfers are really easy, realistically on half-a-day of pain and unavailability if even that...My last time was only 30 minutes!!!!

It costs a lot more money to the networks to get a new customer, so they should give you at least the same deal if not better it...But when haggling, be prepared to walk away when necessary...

8. stattoma

stattoma
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 6680 on Voda. I think it's a good phone generally though it is bulky and the camera cover can slip back easily. Sadly, I have not been able to get it so that I can surf the net through my Palm Tungsten T3. Any ideas most welcome!

9. Adam_uk

Adam_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    The Vodafone 3G network is awsome, by far the best for out of ring fenced data use.

10. scouse

scouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    do other networks offer the use of relinquishing texts for gprs data that dejongj was on about?

that would be great if they did! :smashin:

11. IanW

IanW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I have just picked up a 6680 on '3'. Got the phone free on the 700 package; this is £20 per month for first 6 months then £40, this has 400 mins of voice, 200 texts, 25 mins of video call and 20 min of video messaging. Not played much with internet access yet. Phone seems to be really good.

Ian.

12. The Slasher

The Slasher
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the A1000 motorola great phone 750 mins 150 texts a month for £40 £5 a month for unlimeted video content 20 sms and 20 video calls.
    First 3 months half price and this company http://www.simply3g.co.uk/ has some great deals got the other 6 months half price, they gave me a 256mb memory card bluetooth headset and a case.
    The phone is amazing you can even put films on the phone(Compleate Film)
    So buy a Great phone!!! :thumbsup:

13. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    I think you will find that you'd be disappointed by the lack of Internet access on '3'. That's one of the main reasons why I cut my contract short on my A1000....