1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the best 36" TV (or 32") on the market now Jul03?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Julia, Jul 1, 2003.

1. Julia

Julia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

What's the best/newest/problem free TV on the market ?
    I had a quick search and I've noticed someone mentioning Pany TX36PD30... Is this the best?
    When I mean 'the best', I mean excellent Picture Quality and Pal & NTSC progressive capabilities (I'm not interested in sound).

All ideas most wellcome :hiya: ,

Julia

2. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +705
    put the tosh pf2 on your audition list:cool:

3. bodyfodder

bodyfodder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Pany PD30 series that you mean has yet to be released to many of us but sounds very good. I have one on order from Robersons online and should be taking delivery soon so i will post my thoughts on the set when it arrives.

The Pany PD30 is similar to the tosh picture frame but has a resolution boosting feature kind of like Pixel Plus from Philips or DIST from JVC.

4. Julia

Julia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stranger,

Thanks for the hint;) . I had a look at the PF2 thread and some were complaining about some green smearing... I'm not sure about it...
    What model is PF2? I gather it's a Toshiba, but I could not find it in PriceRunner... Please can you tell me the full model name?:blush:

Bodyfodder,

Congrats for your purchase and I can hardly wait to read your review:smashin: .
    Maybe I'll pop into Comet this weekend to see if they've got it.

£1,600 it's a big commitment... I still think all these 36" TVs are too overpriced:rolleyes:

All ideas welcome,

Julia:)

5. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seriously? I know what you mean, £1600 is a lot of money but half the time you can get 0% finance and if you think about the average life expectancy of a new TV (five to six years), I don't think £300 per year is too much to ask for something that provides so much entertainment and is such a big part of life.

The average Council Tax bill is £700 per year remember... and what the fudge do you get for that?

Also, it's a sad state of affairs, but the manufacturers would say that by having to hit the £1600/£1800 price point, there's no chance of them being able to provide you with a 'perfect' CRT TV :(

BTW, having owned a Panasonic 36PF10 (and still own a 32PF10) and a Toshiba 36ZD26P, my advice to you would be to go for the Tosh :smashin:

6. Julia

Julia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spot on, Juboy!;) Thanks for your reply.

Does anybody know of a new model that should come out in the next 3 months or so?

Thanks in advance,

Julia

7. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +705
    Julia, Toshiba 36ZP38P

8. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or a 42" RP PW23P for £600 less (usually around £1K) :p

Less geometry faults than a 36"... bigger - 36" viewable is actually 34", a 42" RP viewable IS 42"

Mines bigger by 8"! :D

9. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But Julia mentioned that PQ was paramount Nathan :devil:

10. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's the size that counts... and yours is 8" smaller! Why should Julia want a smaller one?

Am I still talking about TV's?! ;)

11. Julia

Julia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers, Stranger!

Nathan, when I've read your post I've started to have a deja vue feeling :) ... Last year I've started hunting down for a telly and after deciding on a RP, I've managed to buy an AE300 projector :).
    But now the old telly is getting really old and I was thinking that it needs a replacement. The RP is a very good idea, but it's space demanding and I think that it still requires the light to be a bit dim...

Julia

12. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :D

Seriously though, I'm of the school of thought where PQ is the most important thing to me. I just can't live with the reduced contrast levels of RPTV and Plasma for example.

It's horses for courses I guess, and I do admit that in some ways I'm defeating my own arguement by having a 36" version rather than a 32" CRT :blush:

That said, the geometry of a 36" CRT (yep, even Toshibas!) can be virtually perfect if you get a good one and have two or three hours spare and a copy of Avia.

13. Julia

Julia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, Guys,

I agree that the bigger the better (yes, I'm speaking about TVs:)), but as Juboy said, PQ is paramount.

So what is the cream/ the top/ the best of the crowd?

All ideas welcome,

Julia

14. The_KELRaTH

The_KELRaTH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Finding a good TV these days can be a real headache. 1st you jump at the idea of line doubling and quad resolution Tv's only to find in reality hardly any of them work and you're better of with a more basic TV.
    So far the only TV brand I've found that seems to actually work with resolution enhancements is Sony. I ended up buying the KD32NX200 which features a line doubler or quad resolution modes (DRC-MF) and DNR that works. I understand that Sony are changing the name soon as they don't feel DRC-MF is snappy enough.
    I undertand that the new Panasonic 32/36" offer PAL and NTSC progressive scan so that might be worth checking out too.

15. Tommo24

Tommo24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would go for the Sony FS76.

Yes it took me 4 sets to get a good one but its WELL worth the wait. There seems to be problems with most 36" sets.

I recently had a good look at the KD36NX200 and the picture quality is IMO inferior to the FS76. I say this because whilst on my 3rd set I was looking for swapping to another model.

Its the old problem of those with a set will recommend it. What I would suggest is have a good look in a comet superstore and don't be too disappointed if you need to swap your 1st, 2nd even 3rd set. ;-)

Good luck

Tom

16. WSH

WSH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    DRCMF doesn't double lines or increase resolution by 4X the UK. Are you thinking of pixel plus or have you been reading about DRCMF on a far east website? DRCMF does work slightly different on sets sold in the far east.

If it did increase resolution or lines by 4X or 2X then we are into high definition or super high definition land, which is a bit impossible.

17. WSH

WSH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    or even if you swap your fourth FS76 set like me! The fifth is alright BTW.

18. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +705
    I'd say comet and currys etc. are the last places to audition a tv for p/quality. make a short list and find a dealer/dealers who will set! the tv up properly for you and let you play around with it. you're spending a lot of cash on a long term buy and need to be sure of getting the best for you.

19. Julia

Julia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to everyone for your help :hiya: .

I've narrowed down my list for the following 4 TVs:
    Panny TX36PD30
    Toshiba 36ZP38P (the PF2)
    Sony KD32NX200
    Sony FS76

I wonder if there is anybody who has seen all four in action from the same source (ah, I think I want too much :D ).

Today I popped into Comet to see what's on display and I've seen the Panny PD30 and the PF2. I wish I knew of a dealer with tweaked TVs that welcomes viewers, but I don't, so Comet seemed to be a very convenient place from this point of view.

I really wanted to like the Panny PD30, but I did not see anything special about it. Its image was just as bad as the other ones that surrounded it. I tried to use the remote to see if I can get the progressive scan to work (to see a difference in image quality like I used to see at Pixel Plus for example), but it made no difference.
    A totally clulesss sales assistant made no difference either, only that she also noticed that the image was no better than the other ones, in spite of the progressive scan (there was no obvious progressive scan option menu, so I don't know if we even had progressive scan!).

But I'm sure that everyone that had a bad experience with a sales person that has no technical knowledge will understand my frustation. It makes you wonder what kind of training they get:( ).

The main thing is that I'm very puzzeled with regard to my decision and I'm not sure which one is best.

Are there new models supposed to come out in the following months? Maybe someone has some better ideas?...

Julia

20. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I also saw the PD30 today. It was running from a Toshiba 330 dvd player through a component video cable. Pressing the "picture menu" button on the remote brings up the list of picture options. The last on the list was the picture scan type. IIRC these were:
    75Hz 833i
    100Hz
    100Hz Plus
    Progressive Scan.

Progressive scan definitely made a difference. See this thread for more info -->
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=78953

I totally agree with you about the assistants in Comet. They are utterly useless. The two i spoke to today showed a spectacular lack of knowledge about the products i asked about. One guy wouldn't even leave me alone with the remote whilst i played with the PD30. He said it was worth £120 and presumably thought i had a sideline in stealing them - i did look quite scruffy having not shaved for a week!
    It amazes me that i was interested in a 2 grand tv and the assistant new nothing about the product, wouldn't leave me alone with the remote, and was generally unhelpful and quite rude.

21. Tommo24

Tommo24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What I would advise is go with your heart! It sounds daft but you could honestly be waiting forever because all tv manufacturers have the next (supposidly improved ) tv waiting in the wings.

If you go to Comet you can really assess which tv you like because they are all stood side by side. Decide on a price and what features are essential e.g. I required 4 scarts on my tv which narrowed the choice are great deal.

It took me 3 months to decide but even then I was still not 100% sure. You just have to go for it. I would recommend getting at least a 3 year warranty!!!

Regards
    Tom

22. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    Have you got a John Lewis near you? I've always found them far more knowledgeable that most High Street chimps, pretty helpful (don't go on a Saturday though as it gets too busy) and they'll price-match plus offer their free 5-year warranty.

Worth thinking about.

23. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's really important not to draw conclusions on a tv's performance based on how they look on the shopfloor, especially places like Comet, Currys, etc. They're so badly set up that they're probably not even showing 50% of there potential.

When I bought my tv, a helpful local dealer let me come down to his shop with my region 1 dvd player, and had no problem leaving me alone to tweak and set up his range of tvs to see which one I preferred the most. I could have found the same sets cheaper elsewhere, but I had no problem paying a bit more if he was prepared to let me do that. This guy's help really did prevent me from making a choice I would have regreted.

As Radiohead says, I also think that your best chance of making the right choice lies with John Lewis. I told an assistant in there recently that I plan to buy a tv in the near future, and asked if I could try out some of their tv's with my own dvd player, and he said it wouldn't be a problem.

In contrast, I saw a PF2 in Comet connected to a dvd player that was set up for a 4:3 tv and linked up with a composite signal. I asked the assistant if I could see how the tv looked with the dvd player set to 16:9 and RGB, and he refused. He mumbled something about the dvd player being set up properly because he was using a scart, and the dvd didn't need to be set to 16:9 because because the tv had a stretch mode to make 4:3 image fit a 16:9 screen. In over words, the guy was a dead loss.

If you're going to spend in the region of £1500 - £2000, it really is essential to find a good dealer where you can make a choice you are totally confident with, but I realise that this is easier said than done.

24. CMcK

CMcK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Go for a 32" Loewe Aconda, I've had mine for months now and it still amazes me how good a CRT TV can be.

25. The_KELRaTH

The_KELRaTH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    QUOTE]Originally posted by WSH
    DRCMF doesn't double lines or increase resolution by 4X the UK. Are you thinking of pixel plus or have you been reading about DRCMF on a far east website? DRCMF does work slightly different on sets sold in the far east.

If it did increase resolution or lines by 4X or 2X then we are into high definition or super high definition land, which is a bit impossible.
    [/QUOTE]

From Sony UK website:
    DRC (Digital Reality Creation)
    Using unique Sony algorithms DRC replicates a "high definition" television picture from a standard definition television signal.

DRC 100 doubles the field lines (x2 Horizontal) where DRC 50 doubles the vertical and horizontal resolution.
    This can be easily demonstrated too: Channel 4 often show movies on Terrestrial as a small widescreen format which when zoomed in display's a full widescreen image (with Son'y TV's it does auto Zoom when this happens). In zoom mode you will see very fine horizontal lines when up close - turn on DRC 50 and they're completely gone.

http://www.techtronics.com/uk/shop/862-sony-kd-32nx200-crt-widescreen-tv-idtv.html )

26. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £1600 for a 32" nicam TV???

That's ridiculous. For a few hundred quid more you can buy a 42"Plasma. Or the same price- 50" RPTV 5.1 Dolby Digital !!

Hmm what would I choose?

(RP or Plasma)

27. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One thing to remember when demoing Toshiba TVs in stores like Comet/Dixons/Currys et al is that Toshiba set their TVs contrast settings to 100% on the standard, out of the box picture setting mode.

This might look eye catching when walking past them in a line of other TVs but also makes the picture horribly unwatchable for any length of time past about 10 seconds and also means that buying an ex-demo Toshiba is probably a very bad idea...

28. Julia

Julia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After some more reading on this forum I came to a kind of conclusion...

Am I right in saying that all the 36" TVs have a problem? None is the perfect TV we would like for our money?

In the end, is this just a matter of finding the one with the problem that one could live with?

For instance PF2... Is the green smearing that some people talked about really bad? Is it something that one could happily ignore? Or is it something that once you've noticed it, you're sure to see it everywhere, in any scene....?

I'm interested in a clear pin sharp picture, rich colours, good shadow detail and good blacks... As I said, I don't care about the sound or the outside looks of the box (although I liked the fact that PF2 had black around the picture) ...

Am I running after the Holy Grail?.....

Julia

29. jase the space

jase the space
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Julia

I have just bought a 32" PF2 and have noticed the green trails. Unfortunately it is quite noticeable but only on scenes with dark and light (i.e. most films! - you probably won't see it much during normal daily TV viewing). It is such a shame since I'm happy with the TV in every other way (and I'm quite picky).

Having said that I may live with it anyway - I'm sick of trying to find a TV that I like and this one looks good in the lounge and doesn't take up too much space. Also has built-in DD which for me is perfectly adequate. Also got it for £550 off the RRP so that's good too.

Every TV has its little flaws (even the Loewes). I just wish that Tosh hadn't slightly screwed things up when they fixed all their old problems (from the PF1) by introducing a new tube with new problems!

30. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd say you're 100% correct Julia.

Pretty much any AV product you buy will be some sort of concession/compromise to the manufacturer's price point.

I don't mean that to sound negative or depressing, more that you just need to pick the best (to you) of the bunch and enjoy the pros rather than focus on the cons - although I'd be the first to admit, that is easier said than done.