1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats the best 32 inch lcd on the uk market?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Digitised, Oct 11, 2004.

1. Digitised

Digitised

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    my main use at the moment is for films and games.

I have a budget of £3000, and im keen to get the very best i can.
    im aware philips have some of the best picture technology but im finding it impossible to track down a set locally to view for the 32pf9986 model.

And also the reviews ive seen are all by people who are total perfectionists who dont seem to review products in a realistic way, as in 'if i was buying for myself' way.

Ao the poor old lcd ranges get critisced for not being as sharp as the £10k plasmas that last 1/3 of the lifespan.

As u can tell im primarily interested in the 32pf9986,
    i need to know from an owner how well it copes with consoles and fast images from films etc

also is the response rate that philips print on their website accurate (12ms)?
    and the contrast 800:1?
    any other suggestions for a suitable tv are much appreciated.

2. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    I think the sony mrx1 is rated top dog at the moment, it goes for around 2500, the philips 9986 is also highly rated while the loewe is above 3 grand I think

3. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Yes.
    If you can find a 32PF9986 on display, compare it with other LCDs, usually 16ms will be obvious on scrolling horizontal news tickers such as ITV News Channel features continuously.

Slower panels usually look fuzzy on the news ticker but the 32PF9986 displays the moving text clearly. :cool:

Whether this is sufficiently fast for gaming, possibly not, it would be best to visit a dealer that will let you try this.

4. ma94jcg

ma94jcg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the sony l32mrx1 is currently the daddy (i have one of these) and can vouch that it's top quality and has no problem with scrolling etc, in fact playing burnout 3 at full speed on my mrx1 is just awesome.

i think the loewe spheros is also very highly rated (from reviews and feedback on this forum). you also probably won't go far wrong with the latest philips and sharp models either.

5. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    The Loewe Xelos rrp's at £2995, the Spheros about £1000 on top. The Xelos can be got for ~ £2600 online but online proces for the options can be significantly more.

Any screen with refresh <20ms should be able to scroll PAL (50Hz) material smoothly, or <16 ms for NTSC.

Strange that Philips are quoting 12ms refresh rate, when I thought it was the same panel as the Sharp and Loewe's which quote around the 14-15ms mark. Unless the panel itself is quicker, but the electronics is causing the slight difference.

6. Kieron

Kieron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,578
    For me, it's the Sony MRX1 with the Sony MR1 coming in second and the Philips 9986 in third. The Philips picture looks far too "processed".

Shame the Panasonic Viera won't accept a HD input as that screen looks fantastic too.

7. scoobydoo77

scoobydoo77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The sony MRX1 looks stunning (both picture and design), but the Sharp aquos is supposed to be better according to the more recent reviews. The titanium versions look good as well but are'nt cheap

8. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Huh? Care to elaborate what Aquos as this includes the titanium/G series (they are one in the same and are part of the Aquos line-up) and many other models. The newer G/titanium series are cheaper than the previous models, better featured and, in comparison with the older H series, IMO have much better PQ. Many people are advertising say the H series for £3000 reduced from £5000, but the G/titanium series at £2500-£3000 being a later generation is still better. I think people think, wow, its a bargain as it previously cost £5000 so must be better without realising that a year later, LCD TV's costs half the price and are better quality. BTW. This does not apply to the US version of the H series, which are still current.

9. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    I believe HC reviewed one of the new GD series in this months magazine and says its a match for plasma

10. venkman

venkman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've got the 32" Sharp G series and am very pleased with it. DVDs look excellent and from a sensible viewing distance even Sky looks good; what surprised me was that even the low bitrate channels that look poor on my projector look pretty good. I've heard lots of people say how poor LCD looks compared to CRT and how Sky looks bad. Yes, it will look bad if you are standing right next to the screen, but from up close CRT also looks poor.

11. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    I can confirm what Ironduke said about HC and Sharp.

And with Toshiba/Panasonic developing <5ms and Mitsubishi <4ms response time panels, which both should hopefully come next autumn as well as the general development of the rest of components in the LCD and prices dropping radically with every generation - there are some serious big strides LCD will make, and definitely, it has potential to surpass plasma.

Look at Pioneer and Panasonic's latest plasma's, the plasma technology has matured and the jump in performance now for every generation are not huge anymore.

Wasabi

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  13. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    oi horny!

firstly stay away from my wife, second does the model ur link points to have AV box?

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I swear i didn't know she was your wife she said her name was Miss Steel Duchess.....
    Yeah i think all sharps 30"+ have AV box but check specs for to be certain....... it will list dimensions for media box if included but pretty sure they are.

15. ginger

ginger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Venkman, what do you consider to be a sensible viewing distance? I've only seen the LC32GA3E in one shop and with the poor feed they gave it, you had to be about 4m away - but I'm sure that wasn't doing it justice. I'd like to know what it looks like with Sky from 2m if set up properly

16. venkman

venkman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    ginger, a good channel such as bbc 1 or one of the movie channels looks ok from 2m. Footage with a lot of movement such as football looks better a bit further back. I'd say a sensible viewing distance for Sky on the 32GD1E is about 3m.

17. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    The football bitrate has always been poor, I have notices mpeg artifacts like a ready break glow around players on a philips crt

18. Up The Spurs!

Up The Spurs!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, only just seen you post...I've got the 32pf9986...I am extremely happy with the purchase!! I can't argue for or against any of the others because I haven't seen or compared any...But the picture quality gets praised by everyone...Then how nice it looks :eek:)

Also, Gaming is quality!! DVDs are fantastic...Big Thumbs Up

19. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    That's great. :thumbsup:

20. Digitised

Digitised

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    just to let u know...

my £3k budget put the top sony out of range, and being stuck in portsmouth hasnt allowed me to shop for hi end TVs.
    So ive done my research and chosen the 32pf9986 simply cos i love what ive seen of pixel plus, and pixel plus 2 is supposedly far superior.

Ive seen wega on CRT's and altho it looks 'clean' to me it just looks smudged and doesnt have that higher res look to it that pixel plus shows.
    2,000,000 pixels on an old pixel plus TV, put the new WEGA crt to shame in a side by side comparison.

My mum has an older sony model, and ive never got on with it (despite helping her choose it lol) the picture has never seemed right, just too dark and lacking colour.

Whereas philips TVs that ive seen @ work ( im a john lewis employee ;)) have always had great colour and definition.

so this past experience with rival brands, has led me to order my new LCD that should arrive thursday.
    (i got it with staff discount for - £2670)

ill let u know how it goes!