1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the best 32" Deal

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Reflex, Dec 9, 2003.

1. Reflex

Reflex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HELP!

I just can't believe the price difference that I'm seeing on 32" TVs, and the number of model numbers, even from the same manufacturer.

I thought I'd settled on the Sony 100hz KV32FX68 price matched at john Lewis for £745 inc 5 yr warranty.

Problem.

I've just looked at the set in Comet next to a Philips Pixel Plus 32PW9528 with a £330 Home cimema set up (LX3700) for £1199.
    The salesman swore this was the best thing since they invented sex.

I'm having trouble comparing prices as I can't find the model. I've read previos threads where the Philips gets good reviews and it did look good.

Help greatly appreciated as my TV looks like giving up the ghost and I don't fancy Christmas with all the family and no tele.

Many thanks

Reflex

2. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Reflex,

Comet are the only company to do the 32PW9528. I emailed Philips about this and was told its a special specification for the group. Anyway, I had one for a week and sent it back as I thought I could do better but now I have 14" sitting in the living room as all the others went back as well. I think I'm just about to re-order the Philips as I think it had the most detailed picture of all the TV's I've tried over the last month. Search this site for "9528". I'm really stuck on this one as I had a Loewe as well and the picture was really good on that but not as detailed as the Philips but I can say it's what I would call a "safe" set as its produces a good picture on all programme like sport etc, whereas the Philips can be a little fussy. Now the Philips is not all roses as it can display the "Halo" effect on high contrast pictures especially if there's trees in the back ground but this is not all the time. I've seen quite a few films on Sky and the picture has been out of this world. One example was "lord of the rings", I couldn't fault it. Then on the other hand there's a Elton John video on VH1 short in B/W and its full of the "Halo" effect.

Anyway, I hope that helps. At the end of the day follow your eyes, but believe me, your head will have a say in it as well.

If you buy of Comet internet you will have 7 days to return it if you don't like it and get a full refund. I had 3 off them until they said no more.

Bazza

3. Reflex

Reflex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help Bazza.

As far as I can see from searching the forum:

1) The older Philips models had various picture problems

2) I'm not clear if this still applies to the 32PW9528

3) Watch out for use of non-Philips tubes

4) The 32PW9528 is a Comet exclusive, but is there a similar general model? Does anyone Know please?

Is the Comet deal with the cinema sound system good value?

My best other choice seemed to be the Sony KV32FX68 at £740 price matched at JL if they will do it, other thread suggests problems with JL.

Any help greately appreciated

Reflex

4. ExCIA

ExCIA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Of course Sony KV32FX68 is the one because it is the ONE. :smashin:

Bought mine over a month ago from JL and still can't believe how fantastic the quality image is.

5. Reflex

Reflex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks ExCIA,

I went to Curry's today. They had two Philips models:

32PW9308 for £945 incl free DVD player

32PW9617 (old model apparently) for £800

Unlike Comet where they were next to each other, the Sony KV32FX68 wasn't next to the Philips and looked very good.

ExCIA have you got any details of your price match in case JL refuse to price match, as per another thread.

Grateful for the help received, but slightly surprised there have been only two replies. Any more help gratefully received.

Regards

Reflex

6. ExCIA

ExCIA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine was pricematch at £768, but I paid £15 more to have them setup the TV for me. It was worth it.

7. Reflex

Reflex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks agina ExCIA,

I think that I'm going for the Sony if I can get JL to pricematch. Thanks for the tip about getting the set setup.

Regards

Reflex

8. Reflex

Reflex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sony KV32FX68 ordered. Being delivered in time to keep the kids happy for Christmas.

JL have debited the current £849. Just hope they pricematch the £715 from Premier AV.

Thanks for the help, and hope this helps anyone else looking for a 32" set. I'll let you know what the set is like when it comes.

Regards

Reflex