Whats the best 26"-27" LCD?

Mad Man 2

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have recently bought & taken back 2 different LCD's, one a Toshiba Stasia 27WL55 and the other a 27" Sonix from Sainsbury’s. The reason I took both these sets back is because of their terrible PQ. They both suffered from a blocky, smeary and unnatural picture far worse than my old Tosh CRT. The Toshiba was slightly better than the Sonix but still not watch able by my standards.

Anyways I am still on the look out for an LCD TV between 26"-27" but wanted to get an opinion as to which is the best to go for. :lease:

I have a tosh 27wl56 and you can get them from play.com for £599 which makes it a great value set. I have hardly any of the concerns you stated with it. but i only watch dvd's and play xbox on it.

I would also makes sure you're using at least an RGB enabled scart with it as the quality of the connections makes abig difference, which i feel is not so noticable with CRT.

does a scart lead have to be RGB enabled to make RGB work? I though RGB worked with all scart leads!

Mad Man 2 said:
does a scart lead have to be RGB enabled to make RGB work? I though RGB worked with all scart leads!

Most SCART leads are fully wired and will work fine with RGB. A few, mainly the really cheap ones, are wired only for composite video and possibly S-Video (and audio of course). They won't work with RGB.

Also I find a lot of people say certain TV's have a good PQ but that when I look at them there actually rubbish. This is the case with the Tosh & Sonix that I have already dismissed. before I bought them I read stories of "oh it's great" and "the picture's fantastic" so either I'm just to picky or people are simply denying the TV they bought is c~#p!

GaryB said:

Most SCART leads are fully wired and will work fine with RGB. A few, mainly the really cheap ones, are wired only for composite video and possibly S-Video (and audio of course). They won't work with RGB.

Are these the leads which are missing some of the 21 pins?

Yes, but even some with all 21 pins included don't have all 21 wired.

Mad Man 2 said:
Are these the leads which are missing some of the 21 pins?

Those are usually the ones, although some that have all pins present don't have them all wired.

Edit: Great minds and all that :rolleyes:

Mad Man 2 said:
Also I find a lot of people say certain TV's have a good PQ but that when I look at them there actually rubbish. This is the case with the Tosh & Sonix that I have already dismissed. before I bought them I read stories of "oh it's great" and "the picture's fantastic" so either I'm just to picky or people are simply denying the TV they bought is c~#p!

A bit like the 50Hz vs 100Hz CRT debate, different people see different things in different ways, so some of it is personal preference.

As you suggest, there is also an element of "I bought it so it must be the best". No one likes to admit they blew their cash on something pretty average, or, worse still, downright bloody awful.

How about getting a Samsung LE26R41B. You can get them from £600. Ive seen a demo of one in my local Commet. It was breathtaking. I'm ordering mine next week. :D

GaryB said:
A bit like the 50Hz vs 100Hz CRT debate, different people see different things in different ways, so some of it is personal preference.

As you suggest, there is also an element of "I bought it so it must be the best". No one likes to admit they blew their cash on something pretty average, or, worse still, downright bloody awful.

I have a 100Hz Tosh TV, whats the debate about? Isn't a higher refresh rate easier on the eyes and better all around? Or am I wrong in thinking that?

GaryB said:

Good point. Totally agree. :clap:

I have had currys & JL people demo me top range Panny, jvc LCD tv's - they saw a 'great picture' . All i saw was a blocky, blurry mess far inferior to CRT.

Caprylate said:
I have a 100Hz Tosh TV, whats the debate about? Isn't a higher refresh rate easier on the eyes and better all around? Or am I wrong in thinking that?

Supposedly, but I never did see a CRT doing the 100 Hz shuffle, without making the picture false or artifical looking. Certainly not natural. In fact, my CRT 4:3 28" Nokia of 8 or 9 years was the preferred choice over a similarly priced widescreen Philips with DPL - no interest in pseudo surround at that time.
The Nokia trounced the Philips set all round and has served me well.
Sharp GD1 32" on loan for a few weeks - it'll be interesting when it goes back to see how easily I return to the Nokia or how much I lament the loss of a superb LCD TV.

Caprylate said:

This has been discussed at length many times on here. Try these threads for assorted views on the subject (including mine):

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199924
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212279
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174142
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140466
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111652
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89219

Also after a decent 26/27" which I want to hook up to my HTPC to play xvid/divx.

As I'm connecting a PC I need a set which doesn't have vga or DVI problems. Ideally it will be HD ready. Oh and set must be vesa mountable with speakers on the side and not on the bottom! Budget 600-800.

Any suggestions greatfully recieved!?

Firstly, why must the speakers be on the sides and not the bottom? Also I agree that some of the Samsung models do look nice especially the model mentioned earlier, there's also a 26" model that's HD ready and has a bulit in freeview!

Mad Man 2 said:
Firstly, why must the speakers be on the sides and not the bottom? Also I agree that some of the Samsung models do look nice especially the model mentioned earlier, there's also a 26" model that's HD ready and has a bulit in freeview!

Because I have a "slot" on a cupboard that used to house a tosh 26wl46 perfectly (too back because of the PC input problems). All the sets which have speakers at the bottom are too big for this slot.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom