1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the best 17in LCD Screen

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Russ30, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Russ30

Russ30
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

First post for me and as the thread says i could do with a bit of advice as to what would be the best option for a 17in LCD for my bedroom. I realise the word best is a bit vague but basically I'm after a good all rounder that will give good picture/sound and have decent connectivity. I'm not after the cheapest necessarily but I don't think I need to spend any more than £450 from what prices I've seen on the tinternet. It's not my first foray into LCD as I had a grundig LCX17WSI (currys special) until recently and to be honest it was pretty decent up until the ex made off with it.

I've done a bit of searching on here but I can't seem to find a clear winner unlike some of the other sizes where there seems to be a favourite.

You all seem knowledgeable and helpful so hope you can offer some decent tips/pointers!

Cheers Russ

PS I want to hook sky up to it so I think that discounts the DMTech stuff which does seem very cheap. In fact Makro are selling the one with the built in DVD for £300

2. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Welcome to the forum, Russ,

"What's the best 17in LCD Screen" - It's a subject close to my heart. Since I read Which Magazine April edition this year (if you haven't seen a copy it's available at Public Libraries) I had decided on the Philips 17PF9946. I have always been fortunate with Philips products and have a year old 36PW9618 crt tv. In "Which" the Sony had the best marks with Philips a close second. I have read a few posts (on different forums) whereby people had returned the Sony 17" as the sound wasn't good in situ. The Philips model seemed to be well liked by their owners. The Sony only has one scart and no pc input. The Philips has two scarts and can be used as a pc monitor. Also reviewed was the Samsung 15" (not widescreen) but I have read good reports of the larger Samsung, which I think is HDTV ready. The Philips was voted the best 17" tv in ? magazine (one of those mags for men, not sure if it's called "Stuff", somebody posted it a couple of months ago. I will try and find the post. I would mention that one of our members tried to order the Philips 17" a couple of weeks ago from Unbeatable and they told him they had no stock and that Philips were producing a new model, the 17PF9966. No one can find any information about this yet but it may be worth waiting a while. There could be some other makes in the pipeline too. Sometimes new technology can be a pain when you've just bought the old model!

You will have read the Mikomi thread I'm sure and maybe the 17" lcd thread by treherne about six weeks ago.

I hope you find perfection (is it possible?!) with your chosen lcd. Let us know your views on your purchase if you can make your mind up. It took me a year to decide on my last television!

I had wanted my lcd for the kitchen but husband has said our old Sony 14" portable is fine and we should wait until it's kaput. Those sets just go on forever unfortunately!

3. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Russ,

The thread "17" LCD" was started by treherne on 12.4.05. If you put treherne in the Search box on the top of the page in this forum you will see a few posts about 17" tvs. Forgive me if you have already seen this. Cutler mentions he has just bought the Philips model and is very pleased with it. He said it was in "Digital" magazine's (he thinks) top ten small lcds and it was first with an excellent review.

4. evapor8

evapor8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  5. Halo

Halo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently bought the Philips 17" whilst my Samsung 32" was being repaired. I found it to be excellent quality (better than the Samsung actually). I would definately recommend this set as I did try a few from currys but kept returning them. The sound is excellent also.

6. Russ30

Russ30
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good Morning,

Firstly thank you all for your comments. The Philips was already on my potential list. That Samsung does look a very decent set for the money though - anyone else got experience of this TV?

Cheers

7. tonycb6

tonycb6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    re: the Samsung SM730MW ,does the stand come off ?and is it wall mountable?

ta

8. bodhi

bodhi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Other than the styling, the only obvious difference I can see between the Philips and the Samsung is that the Philips has a 16ms response time compared to the Samsungs 25ms. The Philips is also slightly cheaper, so it looks like a bit of a no brainer to me.

9. Russ30

Russ30
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the feedback, I haven't seen the Philips anywhere near as cheap as the Samsung and it doesn't quite have the same connections but that isn't too important. If you can point me in the direction of the Philips at £300 I'll have it!

Cheers

10. bodhi

bodhi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  11. Russ30

Russ30
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Bodhi,

Appreciate the tip off, it seems to be whether or not the quicker response time is worth an extra £100. Another factor is the Samsung gets 3 years warranty and has a slightler better contrast rating of 500:1. Small factors but aside from the slow response rate it's as good as anything (on paper) this size for under £500.

I'm going to buy one of them but I don't know which yet!!!

Cheers

12. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    My £250 Relisys has a response time of 16ms and is good value

13. Russ30

Russ30
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your input Martin.

What Model are you refering too? I've heard good and bad about this brand but that's damn cheap if it matches the spec of the others. I'm particularly keen on these two because they're reasonably decent on sound as well, whereas most of them seem 2 x 3w, the philips and the Samsung are both 2 x 5w.

14. bodhi

bodhi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I notice that Ebuyer are also doing a 16ms Samsung model for £35 more. Specs look identical but this model also has memory card readers for displaying photos are playing MP3s! Actually looks really good, and the price is very attractive.

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=77964

They also have an even cheaper 17" panel, but this looks like a previous generation model which was more geared toward being a PC monitore than a TV and I thnink that the sound on it would be pretty awful.

Seriously tempted by the 16ms Samsung though.

15. tonycb6

tonycb6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

anyone?

16. jon2099

jon2099

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The 730MP is not widescreen though, it's 1280x1024 so really a 5:4 screen. There's also the 930MP 19" 5:4, though the price jumps quite a bit.

17. bodhi

bodhi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well, i've just taken the plunge and bought a Samsung SM730MW. The response time is a little slow, but other than that it looks great, and the price is good. I'll let you know what it's like once I receive it.

18. Russ30

Russ30
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Bodhi,

As the original poster of this thread I'm very interested to see what you make of it! Did you end up buying from ebuyer?

Someone also asked if this set was wall mountable, which I think it is as it is mentioned on the Novatech site as requiring a 75 x 75mm mount!

Cheers

19. evapor8

evapor8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Mine turned up at the end of last week.

Performance as a screen for my DVD player and as a pc monitor is fantastic, but I have an absolutely useless tv signal!!

Does anyone know how I could boost the aerial signal somehow?

Freeview isn't available in the Channel Islands yet, so that option's out the window, but there must be something I could do? The old 14" Daewoo portable had a picture 20 times better!!! (and it's still mounted to the wall about 2 feet away!!)

On the subject of wall mounting ..... I believe (although haven't tried yet) that yes, the stand is removable, and yes, it uses the 75mm VESA mountings.

Chris

20. tonycb6

tonycb6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    "On the subject of wall mounting ..... I believe (although haven't tried yet) that yes, the stand is removable, and yes, it uses the 75mm VESA mountings."

thank you chris