1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats the benefit??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Desiboy501, Oct 7, 2004.

1. Desiboy501

Desiboy501
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

My amp has component video inputs on it (Pioneer VSX-D814). What is the benefit of running the component video lead from DVD ---> Amp (if any?)

I was told if I have enough inputs on my TV, which I do, its best to connect the DVD and TV directly. Everyone agree with this?

Thanks in advance

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Yes if you have enough of the relevant connections on your TV then dont bother using the amp's connections.

3. galewis1

galewis1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    From a 'purists' point of you, I'd probably agree, but many, I'm sure, would probably agree that getting your receiver to handle video as well as audio switching is such a convenience that it's worth the minimal dedrigation to signal quality.

As you can see from my signature, I don't buy really cheap stuff (I like to aim for the mid market), I have tried both direct connections to my display and receiver switching, and I can honestly say that it makes sod all difference to my eyes at least. Best advice, as always, "Suck it... and see".

I look at it this way.... If throughput switching was such as compromise, the likes of Meridian, TAG and, to a lesser extent, Arcam, wouldn't compromise their kit with the option to do so in the first place.

Just mt 2p's worth...

\gary

4. Lostinapc

Lostinapc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if your amp only supports composite it (the yellow lead) but you can connect dvd to tv via scart is that not better? as you can send it rgb then

5. astirling

astirling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Yeah. By a country mile. But he's talking about a component connection rather than a composite one.

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    But other than a small PQ loss by going through the receiver you also have another dissadvantage - you need an extra component lead that will cost you more money. IMO you should save the cost of the extra lead and go direct from DVD to screen, unless as stated above you don't have enough inputs on the screen.

Mark.

7. Desiboy501

Desiboy501
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the advice guys!! I think i've gathered its best to go direct rather than through the amp (I thought that was the case).