Whats the benefit to having 2 subs?

KhalJimbo

Distinguished Member
Hi all,

Just want to find out really what the benefit will be of having 2 subs, and best placement of them aswell. Will it make my soundtracks sound muddy? Or will it enhance the bass so that the windows in my flat pop out? Or does it refine the bass?

Cheers all

cribeiro

Hi all,

Just want to find out really what the benefit will be of having 2 subs, and best placement of them aswell. Will it make my soundtracks sound muddy? Or will it enhance the bass so that the windows in my flat pop out? Or does it refine the bass?

Cheers all
2 subs with optimal positioning will give you a smoother room response (both in frequency and time) and some extra headroom. The result is a more controlled bass with more power reserves, better defined bass lines (you can follow every single bass sound, they do not mask each other) and better transients (the bass will not resonate in the room, you can hear the bass overtones, the bass texture).

But it is not a trivial task to obtain the best of it, and "just by ear" is next to impossible.

m4rky_m4rk

In a 5.1 system where should they go?

I have two different subs due to upgrading.

One is connected via Hi level to front speaker pair and also via low level for LFE and redirected bass from centre channel.

The other is connected via Hi level on the rear speaker pair.

All speakers are set to large except the centre. 100hz xover fro this.

The subs are are placed in opposite corners of the room and behind their respect speakers.

I tried running both subs off the fronts at Hi level but with them still in opposie corners of the room. I didn't think it improved things and maybe made things worse. Some cancellation at certain frequencies but as I was just using my ear its quite difficult to say exactly what the problem was.

With my current configuration. The bass on the rears sounds great and bass on the fronts also sounds great. Since the subs are on two different sets of speakers they shouldn't be competing this way, assuming the sounds to fronts and rears are not equal the same time. Could happen I suppose for a short time.

Last edited:

Pollywoggle

What is happening in your room and to your ears only you can say but accepted wisdom is to use a splitter so that both subs receive the same signal and like cribeiro says you normally need to do a lot of tweaking and tuning, setting phase/gain etc. trial and error that is pretty much impossible to do without some form of EQ, (or a sound level meter at the least).

m4rky_m4rk

Read it. Thanks.

It doesn't really help me though because I am not starting from the outset at setting up bass from scratch. I have a new REL B1 and didn't want to consign my old REL S1 to the dustbin. I thought it must have some use in my system, it is/was a very good sub. As the two subs are completely different except in name, even from a different era, I didn't even think they would be good working together in tandem. So I added the old REL to support the bass on the rears only. The new B1 is doing duties for the fronts and LFE. I have not so far seen anyone try that but there must be a few here who have upgraded like me and found themselves with a spare sub.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom