What's so special about TheaterTek?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by terryc, May 17, 2002.

1. terryc

terryc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Everyone seems to be migrating to the TheaterTek software DVD player..... why is this?

regards

terry

2. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having extensively tested WinDVD, PowerDVD and TT, TT gives the best picture.

Its also highly customisable per DVD and dead easy to control via a Pronto.

3. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ....but would I be right in saying that it doesn't offer DD or DTS decoding?

4. Ken

Ken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    No.
    TT Works just fine with DD & DTS. Once set up it is a breeze to use especially with a Pronto as Jenz says. There is no need to even touch a keyboard with TT. Get it you won't regret it.
    Ken

5. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It dont do pl2 though! Not that that really matters with dvd's i guess!

Does it do ex/es stuff?

ad

6. terryc

terryc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jenz, Ken

In context with HCPC, Barco 808s, 7ft screen, is it worth the 70 bucks and replacing PowerDVD 4.
    I'm not bothered about Pronto control as I'm quite happy using an Airboard.

regards

terry

7. nutcase_1uk

nutcase_1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I think RichardH meant that it doesn not include INTERNAL decoding of DD/DTS. Rather you have to pass it to an external decoder. If that gets implemented (properly...) thenn I will buy it the very next day.

8. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +311
    Where can I get TheaterTek from?

Thanks

9. Ken

Ken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Nutcase
    You are of course correct, it does not decode DD/DTS, but does pass through DD/DTS, I misread Richards post.
    Tim
    http://www.immersiveinc.com
    Buns
    It does pass EX/ES
    Terry
    I have never tried PowerDVD4 so can't comment, I can only say that I and many others are very happy with it.
    Ken

10. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +311
    Ken

11. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    The main reason I really like TT is it's ease of use.
    The auto aspect stuff is perfect, the ability to move 2.35:1 pictures easily down to the bottom of my screen is spot on.
    The DD/DTS is as good as anything else.
    The Lack of 'windowsness' if a great bonus for me too.
    Also the fact that it has a 'set movie start' option is great as it removes all those tiresome fbi warnings.
    Until now the only problem I had was the fact that you had to kick-start the video controls in PAL movies. But I belive the newest patch fixes this. (probably try this week).

I would say that if you watch mostly on your own then you'll be happy with any player. If you watch mainly with a group or want anyone else to ba able to work your system then it's the best £49 (I think - it's fee shipping at the moment) you'll spend.

HTH
    Alex

12. dvdbrowser.com

dvdbrowser.com

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been using TT on my desktop for a while now and it's great.
    I tried to install it on my laptop for watching movies while away but had issues with the hardware ( no hardware acceleartion)
    I then tried the new ATI 7.6 player and all i can say is WOW and that's just on my laptop, havn't tried it on my desktop yet.

Steve.

13. jonny m

jonny m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    timh

I could send u my copy instead of you waiting for it to arrive from the USA, which took for me about 10 days, I cant get mine working all i get is a blank screen so its not activated.

It would save me sending it back to the usa.

j

14. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does it work with both Windows 98 and Windows XP?
    Best regards
    LittleT2

15. jonny m

jonny m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  16. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder why it didnt work for you jonny :(
    Anyone else have any problems with it :(?
    What are its main plus points?....
    And are there any negative points that people have found using it?
    Best regards
    LittleT2

17. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +311
    Jonny

Thanks... but I will leave it for now.

18. jonny m

jonny m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    No worrys. All indications are that tt - theatretek is a great player with good codecs + keyboard controls. I'm using a gf3, that shouldn't be a problem, but even when using WMP with the tt ravisent codecs the picture is jumpy.

The best i've had with my gf3 is with windvd, it was the smoothest but the colours arn't that great, powerdvd and the ravisent codecs look very similar, very colourful but very stuttery, I think they both need the iDCT help that only the radeon can provide.

Basically unless you enjoy microstuttering forget anything bar the radeons at the moment, although even with those you can have problems, 8500 has gamma problems and driver problems, the 7500 seems the best bet, although don't you need to remove its low pass filters to get the best picture??

Anyway a htpc is basically a modders paradise but getting it working can be a pain, someone was advertising the mpact dvd card in the classified's recently thats got its low pass filters removed and could be a no brainer hassle wise as it comes with hardware, software and spdif out on 1 card, don't know if it could chuck out the 480wide resolution for your ae100 though.

Have you seen the new matrox para something or other graphics card? it looks to be the dogs nads for htpc, it's using 10 bit's for each colour channel, 5 low pass filters that will maintain the image quality so you don't need to bypass them manually with the old trusty soldering iron, it will probably set the htpc scene on fire when it arrives.

I was thinking about the mpact card myself but I just don't know if i want a pc in my living room for a 800x600 projector, hopefully when(if) my tosh sd 510 arrives that should give me the leg up in quality I need going from svid to component. If I was burning some 8" crt tubes @1280x1024 that would be a different matter and I would also want something that my small family (just a little one about 60cms long still+wife who finds my current sammy 709 confusing) can easily use, well the boy can teach his mum when he hits two. And a htpc isn't the family friendly consumer item yet.

Another thing, I had all the bits for a htpc anyway and I was just going to use my regular 1.1ghtz cely/gf3 ti200/lcd etc for home theatre but if your having to buy the gear afresh, you can't go much wrong with plumping abit more for the iscan, how much would a quiet htpc cost anyway? £500?

j

19. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you get the Airboard in the UK?

If so, where?

I can't locate any suppliers:mad:

20. larsan

larsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jonny:

The jumpy video can come from different refreshrates.
    Try to match 50/75Hz for PAL and 48/72 for NTSC.
    The ravisent decoders are very sensetive to this. Especially if used with a LCD/DLP projector...

I've had this problem too. Not with my CRT-PJ but with some fixed-panel devices.

21. terryc

terryc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kramer

Sorry for not getting back before now: I'm only just catching up on my e-mails.
    I bought the Airboard from Xenex Technologies Ltd in Birmingham.
    I see the price is the same as when i bought mine in November, £29.95 + vat and the postage was £9.50 + vat.
    I've no need for a remote that does everything bar put the cat out so the Air board suits me fine.
    I believe Xenex still don't have on-line shopping so you would have to phone them.

Regards

terry

www.xenex.co.uk

22. Dodgey

Dodgey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have to say , I have considered TT, but for a company that cannot be arsed to even put up a web page with product info / details (you get the classic "under construction" page) I'm reluctant to part with money (what will the support be like?)

23. nutcase_1uk

nutcase_1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Theatertek is sold almost entirely by word of mouth. Admittedly I havnn't looked at the immersive site for a few weeks, but that's the first time I've seen an 'under construction' page. In fact the page is totally different to what I remember (it used to be black IIRC).

Looking at the support forums, a major update was released on the 11th of this month. I've been watching the program with interest since it was announced some time ago. A quick glannnce at some people's problems show very quick responses, most unlike other companies (Cyberlink is averaging a 2 week responnse time to a problem I am having).

I don't own the player, but that is not out of choice. I do own a working player, and my funding is aimed towards other projects at the moment. As soon as I can I shall be buying it.

24. triplebj

triplebj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So where do I get a copy og TT to check out, seeing as the
    website is "under construction".

Also, how good is the infrared transmitter on the Airboard ?
    My PC would be 90 degress off the keyboard (if that meks sense :)

BJ

25. nutcase_1uk

nutcase_1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    This is the only problem I have with theatertek (and it's part of the licennse agreement between the author and the supplier of the filters). You can't get a demo or trial version. You can only get the full version on CD, which is active for 7 days, after which you need an unlocking code. To get the disc you need to pay the full price, if you decide not to obtain the unlocking code, you have to pay a 15% re-stocking fee to get most of your money back by returning the disc.

There is a link on the immersive site for buying the software. I don't know if it works as I haven't tried it.

26. terryc

terryc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Triplebj

The transmitter on the Airboard works very well. The Airboard comes with a small receiver which you connect to your HCPC and you can orientate this to suit your set-up.