What's so good about the DS LITE?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by Deleted member 92943, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Deleted member 92943

Deleted member 92943

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone :hiya:

I am thinking of getting a portbale console again as i haven't had one since the first Game Boy Advance.

I don't want a PSP as they seem too much for the money and only produce adverage graphics from what they said it could do.

There will probably be quite a wait for a Microsoft portable, so i have been looking into the DS Lite

It looks good and the idea of playing Mario Kart online is brilliant. What features does that DS Lite have over the original DS or is it just the same machine but re-designed?

Any idea on a release date and price yet also?

2. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Very sketchy release date but sometime in the summer is planned.Quite a bit smaller and lighter[obviously] than the original.The screen is much brighter and sharper.

3. An-D

An-D
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If you think the graphics on the PSP are only average, you'll be pretty dissapointed with the DS.

Burnout on the PSP:

[​IMG]

Burnout on the DS:

[​IMG]

I've played Mariokart a few times on my daughters DS and it is fun for about half an hour but it pales into insignificance next to the likes of Ridgeracer and Wipeout on the PSP, both of which you can play online using Xlink : Kai

4. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    I prefer the DS over the PSP for various reasons but there is no doubt the PSP graphics are miles better than the DS. The DS is a fun console with good battery life. The PSP is technically far superior but short battery life and for me isn't really an ideal portable. To be honest if I had bought a PSP it would probably already be busted as my DS takes quite a lot of abuse but the way its clamshell design works protects the two screens.

5. Kube

Kube

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369
    What a load of nonsense. Mariokart (any version), never mind the excellent DS version will never pale into insignificance to either of those titles. Both are decent games mate, i played them to death, but come on now!

Fun for half an hour? You can hardly base your opinion on beating Mushroom cup in 50cc :rotfl:

6. hpoom

hpoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I agree with you Kube I've had Mario Kart DS for a couple of days now, and played it for over 3 hours and I'm only just starting to really get into it!!!

7. Deleted member 92943

Deleted member 92943

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would PREFER to get a PSP but with a couple of games it's pushing towards £200, the price of an XBox 360

8. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    The ds may have the reputation of a kiddies toy but you will be suprised what it can achieve.As for mario kart being quoted as average is ridiculous.Its one of the best games ever.Wireless link up is great fun.

9. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    You sure that you've even played Mario Kart DS? Because it is easily the better game on every front.

10. Epicurus

Epicurus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +695
    Hate to be rude but to call Mario Kart DS an average racer means you are deluded and should seek medical help!

The more you play that game it just gets better and better. It's THE best Mario Kart to date I think, better than even the SNES version.

Also PSP is a great gadget, DS is a great portable games console. So depends what you prefer really.

11. po_man

po_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I'm sorry, but this is complete nonsense! I purchased a PSP from the US back in July last year and although technically a great piece of kit, i found that the lack of good titles were a real draw back. WipeOut and RidgeRacer were ok but lacked depth - RidgeRacer particularly became just plain repetitive, Pro Evo 5 IMO really wasn't that great - jerky graphics and an uncomfortable playing position - although i must say that Lumines was utterly addictive and was the only game i was playing at the end! I have absolutely no doubt that technically the PSP is the superior machine, but when it comes to original, fun and varied games the DS is by far the better of the two consoles.
    And with games such as Metroid Prime and Zelda: Phantom Hourglass on the horizon as well as existing games such as Castlevania, Mario Kart plus the whole GBA back catalogue available, there really is no contest!
    I'm sure that in time the PSP will come good but for me it just took too long. I sold my PSP back in January with not one shred of regret.

12. An-D

An-D
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well, I suppose its horses for courses. My own experience of Mariokart online (I haven't actually played it offline) was one of a few tracks being repeated over and over (in a BF:2 Backstab style) and that the gameplay involved little skill other than doing a boost start.

By comparison, the games I've played on RR and Wipeout online have been edge of the seat affairs.

I'm not knocking the DS itself, I think it has some truly innovative features like using the mic to 'blow' bubbles in nintendogs and stuff. If I had to choose between the two though, I would pick the PSP. Not just for the quality of the graphics (I'll hold my hand up to being a bit of a gfx slut) but because of the other features like the web browser and video playback, not to mention the forthcoming GPS module and eyetoy thingy.

As for the nintendo back catalogue, I know you can stick GBA carts in the DS, but I thought the catalogue was going to be a feature of the Revolution?

Something like this is being rumoured to be part of the Playstation Network due in Nov. I think I read somewhere that there could be the possibility of downloading PS1 games to the PSP via this function.

13. dancleary1

dancleary1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm hearing what you're saying. Reading your post I think you are into the other capabilities of the device, than just the games, which of course is perfectly acceptable. Me, I own a DS. The back-compat possibility of GBA games on Revo does nothing for me personally, however.

14. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    I have to agree with you, I've had one for a while now but despite owning 6 games for it it has gathered dust for most of it. It is technically a great piece of kit, but I don't use mine for video or music therefore for me it's all about gameplay and on that front the PSP has seriously disappointed imo. Things are looking up with titles such as Daxter and Syphon Filter, but there are still much better quality games on the DS right now imo.

15. po_man

po_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    For me personally, it's all about the games. I know that some people thrive on music and video playback but for me primarily, it was the games.
    Believe me, i really did want to love the thing as i'm a sucker for sexy gadgets, which undoubtedly, it is - but as you say, in the end it was just sitting there gathering dust which isn't a good thing especially when i'd just forked out the best part of £200 for the console plus games!
    By the way, i'm certainly not ruling out buying another one in the future but only once it gets more estabilished with decent KILLER titles available.

16. addyb

addyb
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,293
    I agree on the mariokart front. Recently a couple of my mates picked up some 2nd hand DS's so we could have a 3 player on mariokart!! What a game it is, easily the best of the series and just had reports in that one of my other mates has just bought one in his lunch hour so 4 player mario kart madness begins tonight. Combine that will some of them "roll your own funny cigarettes" and it should be a great laugh!!

17. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I dont get it ? I roll my own but they are not "that" funny!!!:smashin:

18. addyb

addyb
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,293

Well mine aint funny when there rolled but you should see my brother in laws attempts without a roll mat!!!

Funny is an understatement!! SO is his gaming skills on mariokart!!

19. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    You are obviously **** at racers, no argument, **** off.

20. An-D

An-D
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well, theres no fooling you is there. I'm so embarrassed. :rolleyes: :boring: